Need opinion on competitive model - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:12 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98whitelightnin View Post
My last one before this 570 was a 2010 4wd rancher wth foot shift trans. I bought it used and have no idea of mileage or hours but it was a great machine. It had 26" tires and a lift kit on it when i got it but I quickly found a set of stock foreman takeoffs and removed the lift. I prefer a manual trans over automatic but this polaris is a real runner.
I thought about a Foreman with electric shift. The SRA is holding me back. I remember riding a friend's foreman with SRA, many years ago. At the time I had a Sportsman 400, probably 15 years ago. I can remember is was a bit harsh. The bumps and ruts were sort of jarring compared to what I had. I am almost there on a foreman, as an electric shift would be more than fine. The horsepower to weight would be fine for my riding style. And I've even test driven them. Very torquey. It had everything I needed with the exception of the IRS. The Rubicon covers that. I'm still kind of considering one of those, too. I just don't know that I need to spend an extra grand for it. Still thinking about it, though.
Pigs would fly before I’d step back to an SRA from irs - you can buy a 500 footshift Rubicon.

Grt the dct eps and be happy.

Last edited by NorthernHillbilly; 04-21-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Lon
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
If I were choosing a Honda as a personal ride it would be the Rubicon with IRS and Hondamatic. I love the Hondamatic tranny but they are more maintenance intensive and it take 5 quarts of oil for a change. You also have to drop the skid pan to change the filter.
I forgot about having to change the shift motor and angle sensor on the 2012. They fail pretty regularly on the electrics and Hondamatics with age.

The Rubicon is still in the mix. I have until Tuesday to change my mind. I had already told the dealer to email me the VIN on the Rancher because I want to have an insurance policy when I take it home. But he wasn't going to have the VIN until Tuesday. I imagine he will be more than fine changing things up for me.

Can you tell me the most compelling reasons you'd chose the Rubicon over the Rancher?

Sorry to my Polaris brethren for reading about Hondas on a Polaris forum. Please know, that I remain steadfastly in support of the brand. I am just looking for something different this time. But keeping my 570! I love it.

2017 Sportsman 570 SP Hunter Edition
2019 Honda FourTrax Rancher 420 FA6
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:26 AM
ATV Enthusiast

I ran rotella T5 in mine with no ill effects. I was looking at another rancher before I got the sportsman but the machines with irs were a grand more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:31 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Need opinion on competitive model

Tell you what. Iím Polaris thru and thru. Own 3 of them for my hunting camp.

Hunting friend had a Honda for years and wanted an upgrade.

He felt after long looking and being a mechanic himself, the Yamaha Grizzly was the best bike out there.

I was screaming Polaris to him the whole time.

In the meanwhile I had a friend up north who bought a atv dealership and had a left over new atv he needed off his floor plan. I bought it brand new left over. Called a Hisun 700. Shipped it to Florida.

Buddy finds a Yamaha Grizzly with low miles and upgraded tires in like new condition and buys it, brings it to camp, and Iím like, yeah youíre right, this bike might be better than a Polaris Sportsman.

I take my Hisun out and we notice, both bikes are spot on alike !!! Research tells me Yamaha invested in China to build that Hisun plant using Yamaha old Grizzly plans.

My starter goes bad and I replace it with a Yamaha starter. Weíre convinced same bike, different countries of origin.

So what Iím getting at is, if it were possible for me to find an older Yamaha Grizzly in mint condition around a 2012, iíd jump all over it ! That would be the bike for me to buy besides a Polaris and Iím not a fan of the 570 too much.

The Honda run forever. Ride a bit rough, expensive to repair and a little weaker in the mud than a Polaris. They run water pretty good. To me, Honda has the best engines. Suspension is so so and at my age, my back kills me the day after I ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by SunShine01; 04-21-2019 at 02:37 PM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Lon
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Wow. That's interesting. I've never heard of that brand.

I agree, the Grizzly is really good. I bought my 570 over the Grizzly for the sheer value prospect. I think the 570 is as good in many respects, and better in other respects, like onboard storage, and the number of features for the money. The Yamaha has a great reputation for quality.
SunShine01 likes this.

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:21 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:

I agree, the Grizzly is really good. I bought my 570 over the Grizzly for the sheer value prospect. I think the 570 is as good in many respects, and better in other respects, like onboard storage, and the number of features for the money. The Yamaha has a great reputation for quality.

Storage in the Polaris stow and lock canít be beat anywhere shape or form. That front flip box on the Polaris is the sheeeeeet ! I have so many important items I carry in there, plus the rear small box.

Grizzly /Hisun have a circular storage bin. Impossible to use.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:29 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:

Storage in the Polaris stow and lock canít be beat anywhere shape or form. That front flip box on the Polaris is the sheeeeeet ! I have so many important items I carry in there, plus the rear small box.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:11 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Lon
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I pulled the trigger on the 2019 Rancher DCT IRS EPS. I will pick it up tomorrow. Thanks again for all of the excellent feedback. It was really useful.
SunShine01 likes this.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Lon
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Picked up the new Rancher yesterday. Put just about 30 miles on it today. It's very nice. The transmission is surprisingly smooth in Auto mode. But it'll go like hell if you give it a little throttle. Bottom and mid-range have really good power. Stout little engine.

I will get some radial tires for it down the road. I want to get good number of miles on it before changing too much. I've attached a picture from the dealership... last time this thing will be that clean. It received a healthy seasoning of dust today. There's a picture taken during the ride... threw on my Polaris bag, as the Rancher has no real storage built in. That bag is 15 years old and still does the job. We bought two of them back in 2004.

Cheers to you. Have a good Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190427_135839_resized.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	925.9 KB
ID:	117551   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190428_121025_resized.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	117553  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode