Need opinion on competitive model - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Lon
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Need opinion on competitive model

Hello fellow Polaris owners,

I have sort of a weird request. I'd like to know if any of you have owned a Honda in the past... not early 2000s or older, but a relatively late model, lets say from 2012 until this current model year. I'm in the market for another - just adding, not getting rid of anything. My benchmark right now is a Sportsman 570 SP Hunter Edition. I love it. But I've always wanted a Honda. I need to add another bike because some in my family want to ride. I'd add something small, used and cheap, but right now I have a chance to get another bike I've wanted for a long time, so I am looking at the 2019 Honda Rancher DCT IRS EPS.

I'm looking for your specific input based on your own circumstances.

Has is been reliable? Is it comfortable trail riding? Composed? Enough power? What are the issues you've experienced since owning?

I am going to be purchasing in the next 7 -14 days. Thanks.

2017 Sportsman 570 SP Hunter Edition
2019 Honda FourTrax Rancher 420 FA6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:44 PM
ATV Enthusiast

My last one before this 570 was a 2010 4wd rancher wth foot shift trans. I bought it used and have no idea of mileage or hours but it was a great machine. It had 26" tires and a lift kit on it when i got it but I quickly found a set of stock foreman takeoffs and removed the lift. I prefer a manual trans over automatic but this polaris is a real runner.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:33 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Go for it - they are an excellent bike. But due to DCT they are very picky on types of engine oil due to engine/trans sharing the same oil.

I have looked at them a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon View Post
Hello fellow Polaris owners,

I have sort of a weird request. I'd like to know if any of you have owned a Honda in the past... not early 2000s or older, but a relatively late model, lets say from 2012 until this current model year. I'm in the market for another - just adding, not getting rid of anything. My benchmark right now is a Sportsman 570 SP Hunter Edition. I love it. But I've always wanted a Honda. I need to add another bike because some in my family want to ride. I'd add something small, used and cheap, but right now I have a chance to get another bike I've wanted for a long time, so I am looking at the 2019 Honda Rancher DCT IRS EPS.

I'm looking for your specific input based on your own circumstances.

Has is been reliable? Is it comfortable trail riding? Composed? Enough power? What are the issues you've experienced since owning?

I am going to be purchasing in the next 7 -14 days. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Lon
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernHillbilly View Post
Go for it - they are an excellent bike. But due to DCT they are very picky on types of engine oil due to engine/trans sharing the same oil.

Thanks for the feedback. You're right. I think I will stick to the Honda brand oil, full synthetic HP4S. I saw it on Amazon for ten bucks a quart, full case. That would cover it for a while. Some other places are at twelve bucks, and some as high as sixteen. I think it's almost 4 quarts per oil change, too. Not certain, but I thought I saw it at 3.8 quarts per change. Not a cheap hobby, for sure. I spent about half of that on the full synthetic for my 570. But as you stated, it's for the engine and transmission. I will take good care of the tranny, as it's one of the primary reasons I would be getting this bike.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:45 AM

2011 Foreman 500 carb and manual shift with 11,000 miles. Replaced a few wheel bearings especially the left rear. That one seems to go every couple years on the newer Hondas when ridden in really tough terrain like my crew does. Its out in the end of the axle tube and I suspect grass gets wrapped in there and cuts the seal letting water in.
Front shock bearings, ball joints and arm bushings at about 6-7,000 will get a little slack. The shock bearings are overly complicated and expensive.

2012 Foreman 500 EFI electric shift with 14,000 miles. Same deal with rear bearings. That one is mono-shock and had swingarm bearings go bad too. Same deal with the front end as the 2011. It also had the early style fuel filter which clogged up at around 4,000 but no more issues since changed over to newer style filter from Honda. EPS quit at around 8,000 and required a new control unit... OUCH!! About $450 from Honda but I found good used from PSN.

2016 Foreman 500 EFI IRS with only around 500 miles. No problems so far.

All the Honda machines with drum rear brake essentially have NO rear brake after a couple thousand miles and therefore no park brake. The very new ones are disc I think. Time will tell on that.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Lon
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98whitelightnin View Post
My last one before this 570 was a 2010 4wd rancher wth foot shift trans. I bought it used and have no idea of mileage or hours but it was a great machine. It had 26" tires and a lift kit on it when i got it but I quickly found a set of stock foreman takeoffs and removed the lift. I prefer a manual trans over automatic but this polaris is a real runner.
I thought about a Foreman with electric shift. The SRA is holding me back. I remember riding a friend's foreman with SRA, many years ago. At the time I had a Sportsman 400, probably 15 years ago. I can remember is was a bit harsh. The bumps and ruts were sort of jarring compared to what I had. I am almost there on a foreman, as an electric shift would be more than fine. The horsepower to weight would be fine for my riding style. And I've even test driven them. Very torquey. It had everything I needed with the exception of the IRS. The Rubicon covers that. I'm still kind of considering one of those, too. I just don't know that I need to spend an extra grand for it. Still thinking about it, though.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:57 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. You're right. I think I will stick to the Honda brand oil, full synthetic HP4S. I saw it on Amazon for ten bucks a quart, full case. That would cover it for a while. Some other places are at twelve bucks, and some as high as sixteen. I think it's almost 4 quarts per oil change, too. Not certain, but I thought I saw it at 3.8 quarts per change. Not a cheap hobby, for sure. I spent about half of that on the full synthetic for my 570. But as you stated, it's for the engine and transmission. I will take good care of the tranny, as it's one of the primary reasons I would be getting this bike.
When you buy, ask for a service manual too, take a flashdrive with you.

Good luck and report back. I may eventually buy one too.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Lon
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
2011 Foreman 500 carb and manual shift with 11,000 miles. Replaced a few wheel bearings especially the left rear. That one seems to go every couple years on the newer Hondas when ridden in really tough terrain like my crew does. Its out in the end of the axle tube and I suspect grass gets wrapped in there and cuts the seal letting water in.
Front shock bearings, ball joints and arm bushings at about 6-7,000 will get a little slack. The shock bearings are overly complicated and expensive.

2012 Foreman 500 EFI electric shift with 14,000 miles. Same deal with rear bearings. That one is mono-shock and had swingarm bearings go bad too. Same deal with the front end as the 2011. It also had the early style fuel filter which clogged up at around 4,000 but no more issues since changed over to newer style filter from Honda. EPS quit at around 8,000 and required a new control unit... OUCH!! About $450 from Honda but I found good used from PSN.

2016 Foreman 500 EFI IRS with only around 500 miles. No problems so far.

All the Honda machines with drum rear brake essentially have NO rear brake after a couple thousand miles and therefore no park brake. The very new ones are disc I think. Time will tell on that.
Wow. This is some excellent information. You're talking about some seriously high mileage on my scale. You've had a few things go wrong, but yet you've continued to purchase this brand. While none of what you stated scared the shit out of me, I think the fact that you've logged a ton of miles, and still continue to buy Honda sort of reinforces what I might be doing in a week or so. I actually feel pretty good about it now. Thanks a bunch for your feedback.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:02 AM

If I were choosing a Honda as a personal ride it would be the Rubicon with IRS and Hondamatic. I love the Hondamatic tranny but they are more maintenance intensive and it take 5 quarts of oil for a change. You also have to drop the skid pan to change the filter.
I forgot about having to change the shift motor and angle sensor on the 2012. They fail pretty regularly on the electrics and Hondamatics with age.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Lon
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

When you buy, ask for a service manual too, take a flashdrive with you.

Good luck and report back. I may eventually buy one too.
This is a great idea. Wish I would have done that when I bought the 570.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in