What should I get for CO? - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Cool What should I get for CO?

I am wanting personal opinions on what four wheeler I should buy. A little bit of info to help is... I live in Fort Collins CO, and have a lot of trails up here, but I also have family and friends in Lyons CO. I would do a lot of riding there as well. I have friends that have told me that a 500-550 would be plenty of power for the trails that are in these areas, but what about an 800? Too much power? Waste of money?

I just would like peoples opinion of what four wheeler to get? A Polaris 500 H.O.? (altitude 5,000-8,000 ft, carbureted, jets??) Or 550 XP EFI? Or 800? I don't want to switch out jets, so I'm leaning towards an EFI model, but also don't to empty my bank account. Is EPS worth it? I cant justify buying EPS because I have rode so many without it, but is it that nice to have? Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

If you have driven a 500HO, then you know how the steering is and the 800 would be the same. The XP series steers alot better and easier than the Value (400,500,800) series. I would say to get the 550XP without the EPS. You won't regret it.

Patrick
2012 Sportsman 850 XP
Front & Rear Brush Guards
Polaris Front rack
Polaris hand warmers
Kimpex Fender guards with Pegs
Ricochet A-Arm guards (TheATVSuperStore)
Kimpex Deluxe Trunk with Lock'n'Ride system(TheATVSuperStore)
EPI HD Rear & Front Springs
Warn XT25 2500lb winch
26" GBC Grim Reaper with STI HD3 14" rims

Previously Owned
2010 Sportsman 500HO
2000 Polaris Sportsman 500
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your response! I have been leaning towards a 550 XP but wanted other riders opinions and responses to take into consideration before buying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 06:49 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Welcome to the board! 550 would be great.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

I would recommend that no matter what go for the EFI for the elevation changes. If you're wanting to get one for a long term ATV, step up to power steering. EFI and power steering will make it more comfortable for longer days on the trail. Plus if you decide that four wheeling isn't for you the EFI and power steering will keep their value longer. It more of a preference for the cc size and power. My wife is a less experienced rider than me and likes the lower powered atv, where as I like the power of my 700. If you're still unsure, ride as many different ones as you can to find what you like best.

"Big Bad Wolf" 2004 Sportsman 700 EFI, Mine
"Lil' Red" 1999 Sportsman 335, The Wife's Ride
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

With a Polaris you really dont need a big engine. With the low range you can basically tackle any trail even with the 400Ho value series. If you enjoy pulling the front tires off the ground or kicking it sideways than get a big engine. If you just want to cruise the trails than get a more moderate bike. The power steering is nice but the best bang for the buck is the 500HO! Its the best selling atv of all time. If it aint broke dont fix it, hehe!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Thumbs up just my 2 cents

I own a 500x sportsman HO has plenty of power and speed for me but when i do buy a new one i will get the 550 w/power steering my buddy has one and its smooth and a pleasure to operate

02 500 sportsman x
warn 2500 front-back winch
2 inch lift
heated grips
customized muffler
heat wrap pipe
2 halogen beams
tamarack passenger pegs
HERS
99 350 Big Bear
14" SS wheels
ITP baja cross 26" tires
Kolpin fr.-Back bags
thumb throttle extender
custom exhaust
3" additional lights on front
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

the more I ride mine, and the more technical the trails, deeper the mud, and longer the hill climbs, the more I feel I am going to a big bore with EFI and EPS. Cars got along fine without power steering in the 50's, 60's etc, but all cars have them now, dont they? I rode my buddy's with PS at HM last week for a bit, and I have to believe within a few years, most all bikes will have them. It makes a big difference

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Tags
500 ho sportsman, 550 efi, 550 eps, 800 efi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode