My buying experience in Michigan - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

My buying experience in Michigan

Hey everyone,
Thanks for all the feedback and tips.

I picked up an 850 non-EPS, with plow and 2500 winch installed today from Full Throttle in Lansing. Out the Door was $8,200. Not a screaming deal, but reasonable. I really had to work on them to get that price. They pulled the ole, "you want the plow and winch installed for that price" routine.

I wanted to buy a new machine from Nicholson's near Ann Arbor. (Mostly because they are sort of local and have been around along time. They are also closer to where I live.) But they really could not come close on the prices. I was originally looking at the 550, but realized for a few hundred more, I could have the 850. The best Nicholson's could do was $8,850 out the door for an 850 package. But they also did not have any in stock.

Holiday Power Sports in Michigan Center was not even close either. They were at 7,700 for an 850 before taxes, fees, etc, and NOT including a plow and winch. They also did not even have any in Stock.

Nelson's in Greenville had the best prices. $8039, 850 with plow and winch installed out the door. They were up front. They had no issue telling me the out the door price over the phone. But they were not going to have another machine in stock for a day or two.

My advice would be:
-ATV dealers appear to be the shadiest industry I have ever dealt with. Much worse than car salesman.

-Don't go into a showroom intending to buy without having final price in hand first. If you show up intending to buy, you lose all negotiating power. Stop by the showroom the week before to get an idea what you want.

- Shop around, but if you are in michigan Nelson's in Greenvile would probably have the best price by a mile. They also don't come across as slimey or shady.

-Use email. If you email a place, you are more likely to get a manager or someone who has the power to make a deal. Rather than walking on to the sales floor and talking to a kid who has only worked there for 2 months.

-If you have a smartphone, record your conversations when you talk to the dealers. I never used this card, but it was nice to know I could fall back on it if push came to shove.

-Make sure you go over all the aspects of the sale on the phone first. "So it is a 2013, right? The plow and winch are installed , right? The final out the door cost is $XX including all fees?" If you don't they will try to change things up like installation costs of the plow/winch once you get there.

-Get EVERYTHING agreed to before you get there. Again, you lose all power if you have anything left to negotiate once you are in the store.

-If you get a solid price from one dealer, other dealers will tell you that it can't be right. They will talk trash about how Dealer X has done this before, they don't include all the fees or whatever in their price. Which is true. But they are using that as a tool to try to get you into their shop since Dealer X is clearly lying to you by saying they could go so low.

-If you are in michigan, I would check out Nelson's in Greenville. They don't seem to BS. They had the lowest price without mentioning a competitor's price.

Full Throttle
Honestly, walking into the sales floor of full throttle a few weeks ago, I was cornered by a pretty shady and annoying young kid. He didn't have any answers to any questions I asked. And he used every cliche salesman trick in the book. I was pretty turned off by the place.
But today, after emailing and talking with them on the phone, everything went smooth. They gave me straight up prices in email and over the phone. And they came close to Nelsons over the phone before I got there. So avoid the sales floor. Email, call, haggle before you get there.

I feel like if they would just advertise that price (8,200) as out the door, people would be buying the machines like hot cakes. It is not the best price in the world, but pretty decent. Folks would be driving up from Ohio if they knew they could get a fair machine without having to haggle and BS about it.

So we now have a pretty awesome machine. It runs like butter and has TONS of power.

Thanks again for the feedback here on the forums.

Please share your buying experiences.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1141.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	11585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1144.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	11586  

Last edited by skinja99; 04-07-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: misspellings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Congrats on the new toy. Enjoy!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Garage
Congrats and thanks for time and info.

I bought my first quad from Full Throttle but never again (after sale service and some of that you stated).

When I bought my XP I got a quote from Honda East in Ohio as they always have the lowest prices up front and don’t add any fees other than title. They can’t list the prices anymore but will give you a quite online.

I went to local dealers and asked if they would be willing to match it and most wouldn’t or couldn’t if they are low volume. Motor City Powersports worked it out with me at $100 more than my quote as I told them that’s what it would cost me to drive the extra to get it in Ohio and I wanted to be fair, so basically it was a match of out of pocket.
And yes you need to get an OTD price up front and go over everything!

2015 Sportsman 1000 XP
02 Sp700/'10 850 XP EPS sold
2014 RZR 900 XP
2000 Scrambler 400 2x4
-Trail Mod -RcR Ported
-.010" over Wiseco
-HSP billet head/12:1 compression
-V-Force Delta 2 reeds/cage
-RcR HPD Trail pipe &
-RcR HPD MSA silencer
-RcR HPD Clutched
-Team RR secondary
2016 Switchback Adventure 600
Triton SL8 ATV trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 05:35 PM

I've been to a few dealerships recently to see the different models...and I'm really leaning towards the basic 850 HO non EPS. How do you like the handling of yours without EPS thus far ?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

My buying experience in Michigan

I bought a non-ps and love it! I can ride all day and not feel it but I'm young so that may help. I drove the eps and DID NOT like it at all!!

2013 850ho
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Congrats on the new machine, enjoy.

2011 Sportsman XP EPS 550 Browning Edition
2010 Sportsman XP EPS 850
2000 Sportsman 500
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimermich View Post
I've been to a few dealerships recently to see the different models...and I'm really leaning towards the basic 850 HO non EPS. How do you like the handling of yours without EPS thus far ?
I love it. Handles better than any ATV I have driven. I can fly over rolling bumps without feeling a thing. Very smooth and easy to drive.

The EPS was too expensive for us. But the lady of the house isn't really into ATVs. And she said she would have liked to have had EPS after riding our non-EPS version. So, there ya go.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 09:06 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

I would never buy from full throttle again. My deal used all the "jazz". I got a machine for what I thought was a decent deal. But they are high, treating me that way. It took me 3 hours to score my deal. and I walked away with out the crap plow they offered. Crap winch and crap plow they "offer free". They advertise low low price then tack on mucho fees. Holiday is no better.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
My buying experiance (Minnesota)..... I wanted to purchase a product that I could have serviced or find parts for locally (without an hours drive) which narrowed it down to Polaris or Artic Cat. So to me the choice was clear.... Polaris. After I decided "Polaris" I did ALOT of research online (via this forum and general searching) to determine which machine would best suit my needs, budget and so on. After I had it narrowed down I went to an area dealer that sold both Honda (first machines I owned) and Polaris. I played dumb and asked all sorts of questions. From there I decided on a specific machine (2012 Sportsman 800 EFI) and called all the Polaris dealers within 1 - 1.5 hours drive and asked for the "Out The Door" price. From there the choice was easy.... most were close, but one was about $800 less than the others, with the options I wanted installed. I did the deal via email and phone calls. As soon as everything was installed and ready they called, I drove to them finalized paperwork and loaded it up. I didn't haggle on the price, and they gave me 15% off all accessories for the first year after sale. They were more than accomodating!! So, I can't/couldn't complain.

Matthew "MustBeNice"

2012 SPORTSMAN 800 EFI (INDY RED) Sept. 2015 ATV Of The Month
Mods: SuperWinch 3000 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Glacier3 60" Plow - Polaris Rack Extenders - Polaris Bumpers - LowPro Shield - Polaris Hand Guards - Warning Debadge - 3Way Head Light (Relay) - Cabelas Mirrors - Wes Ind. Std Seat/Box - Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr - 26" Kenda BearClaw HTR Tires - HighLifter HD Springs - MotoAlliance Sirius 6" Pro LED Light Bar

2005 SPORTSMAN 400 (SONIC BLUE)
Mods: Warn 2500 Winch - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Mid Shield - Wes Ind. Seat/Box - Shift Interlock Delete - Coleman Mirrors - Polaris Bumpers - 25" Kenda K590 Tires - PVC Spring Spacers

2014 RZR 570 EFI EPS LE TRAIL (WHITE LIGHTENING)
Mods: HarborFreight Badland 3500 Winch - MotoAlliance Winch Mount - MotoAlliance Line Stopper - Polaris Sport Roof - 1/2 Windshield - Warning Debadge - Rear View Mirror - Seat Adjuster - 26" Maxxis Tires - MotoAlliance Sirius 10" Pro LED Light Bar

Last edited by MustBeNice; 04-10-2013 at 12:26 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 12:00 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Im from Michigan as well and all the dealers around here (Detroit suburbs) were pushy, rude, and wayyyy to high on prices. I was recommended Honda East by a coworker just across the Ohio border. Did most of the legwork by email. They were polite and professional. Gave me a price of 5300.00 out the door for my 2012 500 HO. They will get my next purchase. They happen to be a supporting Member on this site......

SEMPER FI
2012 Sportsman 500 HO (Sage Green)
Front & Rear Rack Extenders
ATV TEK ARCH rear cargo bag (MossyOak)
3 Headlight MOD (relay)
Acerbis Uniko ATV Handguards

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Tags
2013, 850, buying, michigan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode