Polaris ATV Forum

Polaris ATV Forum (https://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/)
-   ATV Purchasing and Price (https://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-purchasing-price/)
-   -   (2015) Sportsman 1000 or Scrambler 1000? (https://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-purchasing-price/59624-2015-sportsman-1000-scrambler-1000-a.html)

TrailSeeker2 09-30-2014 09:43 AM

(2015) Sportsman 1000 or Scrambler 1000?
 
Hello,
I own a 2013 Polaris Sportsman 500 (I bought it new) and I'm in the market for either atv. I have taken my 500 out on trails, it does okay but just doesn't have the power that I really need. I ride on sand and other trails, it's really a mixture of just about everything besides swamps (including mud, dirt, grass, deep water, sand, etc). I can't decide which atv will be better for me, my main use for this will be mudding and heavy duty trails. I love both quads but the sportsman is a hefty 822lbs while the scrambler is 745 lbs. The sportsman has 88 hp while the scrambler has 89 horsepower (same motor just different exhaust..that's why it suffers 1 hp difference; I think). I know that both quads are totally different, but I can't decide between the two:bam:

I want something that has the big bore power and is for me, the sportsman is 1,300 cheaper than the scrambler but I'm kinda leaning towards the scrambler...any thoughts?

I want the one that has good pick up on the line, great low end torque, has good mid range power, someting that can handle a lot of mud and water (without snorkel kit which I'll probably upgrade later on) and something that is the most reliable.

Give me your thoughts and opinions please, thank you!:)
- Andrew

Aegis 09-30-2014 11:10 AM

Sounds like the scrambler is what you want. I think they would both have the same low end torque and mid range. For mudding the scrambler would probably be better. I just got the Sportsman 1000 will have it out tomorrow for it's maiden voyage in the forest.

TrailSeeker2 09-30-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aegis (Post 454289)
Sounds like the scrambler is what you want. I think they would both have the same low end torque and mid range. For mudding the scrambler would probably be better. I just got the Sportsman 1000 will have it out tomorrow for it's maiden voyage in the forest.

Hmm, okay thank you for your answer. Yeah I'm kinda thinking the scrambler is the one I want now to lol. Tell me how your voyage goes with the sportsman 1000, please:) Have you driven it yet? Just curious haha,

Aegis 09-30-2014 03:46 PM

No,, have not had a chance to ride it yet. I am currently in urban city can't rider here. Will be in the mountains tomorrow so I hope to get a ride in by afternoon. I currently have a 700 & 850, all are sportsman models. I need the utility way more than I need a scrambler for my riding needs.

TrailSeeker2 09-30-2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aegis (Post 454372)
No have not had a chance to ride it yet. I am currently in urban city can't rider here. Will be in the mountains tomorrow so I hope to get a ride in by afternoon. I currently have a 700 & 850, all are sportsman models. I need the utility way more than I need a scrambler for my riding needs.

Ohh okay, cool. Yeah I see what you're saying, I already have a sportsman for work but I guess the scrambler is for my needs haha. Have fun tomorrow riding, bet that 1000 will hall some a$$ haha. Thank you,
- Andrew

pewter02ws6 09-30-2014 11:54 PM

these two aren't two totally different quads like some seem to think. as for the mechanical differences, they are built on the same chassis and have the same motor. mechanically, i believe they are identical minus the exhaust and clutching. the difference in weight that you are seeing is due to the body and the fact that the sportsman 1000 comes standard with a 2500Lb. winch. you mentioned mud/water and trails which tells me you'll be much better off with the sportsman as it offers much better mud protection than the scrambler does. if you're doing mud/water you'll definitely need a winch as well which is standard on the sportsman whereas you'll end up spending even more money to add one if you were to buy the scrambler. the scrambler also offers very little in storage/rack space compared to the sportsman.most trail/mud riders are always packing extra stuff which will be an issue if you were to go with the scrambler.

if you do any night riding, also take note that the sportsman has the third headlight while the scrambler does not. another thing to consider is that the scrambler comes with the most terrible tire to ever come on an atv. lol! the carlisle 489 IIs that come on the scrambler are only 4 ply and very prone to flats. they also don't seem to wear too good. the carlisle PXTs that come on the sportsman have a 6 ply rating and seem to last longer over the 489 IIs. i will say that the scrambler does come with led lightning but at the price of led light bars these days, you can easily pick one up off amazon or ebay for roughly $70 and it will offer a hell of a lot more light than the stock scrambler. the biggest edge the scrambler DOES have is the Fox shocks but polaris does offer them as an upgrade and they can be found below the retail price for just under $1000. it also doesn't have engine braking which some love and others do not. i personally prefer the engine braking of the sportsman.

when thinking about it, you could buy the sportsman, add a clutch kit and the fox shocks and you'll have a much better machine for the same amount of money than if you were to buy the scrambler. ;-)

ThorsHammer 10-01-2014 12:28 AM

First off, Snorkel it. don't wait do it right away. you plan on mudding it. call it insurance on a 6 figure investment.

Second. you could save some money and get the 850 and still have more than enough power for your desired needs. getting the 1k just gets you bragging rights (for now).

as for the two, it really depends on one simple thing. what do you want to take with you? if you can fit it on the scrambler, than get that. If you can't, than get the sportsman. at the end of the day it all depends on what you want. not what anyone else wants.

gtsum2 10-01-2014 03:03 AM

Do you care about getting muddy and drenched and do you need the rack space? Answer those and you have your quad. You can get fender flares for the scrambler but at that point why not just get the sportsman? And make no mistake about it, you will be drenched and covered on the scrambker

TrailSeeker2 10-01-2014 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pewter02ws6 (Post 454455)
these two aren't two totally different quads like some seem to think. as for the mechanical differences, they are built on the same chassis and have the same motor. mechanically, i believe they are identical minus the exhaust and clutching. the difference in weight that you are seeing is due to the body and the fact that the sportsman 1000 comes standard with a 2500Lb. winch. you mentioned mud/water and trails which tells me you'll be much better off with the sportsman as it offers much better mud protection than the scrambler does. if you're doing mud/water you'll definitely need a winch as well which is standard on the sportsman whereas you'll end up spending even more money to add one if you were to buy the scrambler. the scrambler also offers very little in storage/rack space compared to the sportsman.most trail/mud riders are always packing extra stuff which will be an issue if you were to go with the scrambler.

if you do any night riding, also take note that the sportsman has the third headlight while the scrambler does not. another thing to consider is that the scrambler comes with the most terrible tire to ever come on an atv. lol! the carlisle 489 IIs that come on the scrambler are only 4 ply and very prone to flats. they also don't seem to wear too good. the carlisle PXTs that come on the sportsman have a 6 ply rating and seem to last longer over the 489 IIs. i will say that the scrambler does come with led lightning but at the price of led light bars these days, you can easily pick one up off amazon or ebay for roughly $70 and it will offer a hell of a lot more light than the stock scrambler. the biggest edge the scrambler DOES have is the Fox shocks but polaris does offer them as an upgrade and they can be found below the retail price for just under $1000. it also doesn't have engine braking which some love and others do not. i personally prefer the engine braking of the sportsman.

when thinking about it, you could buy the sportsman, add a clutch kit and the fox shocks and you'll have a much better machine for the same amount of money than if you were to buy the scrambler. ;-)

Well yeah, I see what you're saying. I really don't need the rack space though, I could just carry a backpack. I love the looks of the sportsman but it weighs more though it has a winch, etc so I'm not sure. I'm going to be doing some hardcore mudding, can the sportsman take it?

gtsum2 10-01-2014 04:45 AM

There is very very little difference between the two except ebs, racks and plastics.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome