(2015) Sportsman 1000 or Scrambler 1000? - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Purchasing and Price Getting ready to purchase your first ATV? Discussions concerning ATV comparisons, models, prices, and all purchasing related questions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 121 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast
 
TrailSeeker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 87
Arrow (2015) Sportsman 1000 or Scrambler 1000?

Hello,
I own a 2013 Polaris Sportsman 500 (I bought it new) and I'm in the market for either atv. I have taken my 500 out on trails, it does okay but just doesn't have the power that I really need. I ride on sand and other trails, it's really a mixture of just about everything besides swamps (including mud, dirt, grass, deep water, sand, etc). I can't decide which atv will be better for me, my main use for this will be mudding and heavy duty trails. I love both quads but the sportsman is a hefty 822lbs while the scrambler is 745 lbs. The sportsman has 88 hp while the scrambler has 89 horsepower (same motor just different exhaust..that's why it suffers 1 hp difference; I think). I know that both quads are totally different, but I can't decide between the two

I want something that has the big bore power and is for me, the sportsman is 1,300 cheaper than the scrambler but I'm kinda leaning towards the scrambler...any thoughts?

I want the one that has good pick up on the line, great low end torque, has good mid range power, someting that can handle a lot of mud and water (without snorkel kit which I'll probably upgrade later on) and something that is the most reliable.

Give me your thoughts and opinions please, thank you!
- Andrew

Last edited by TrailSeeker2; 09-30-2014 at 09:46 AM.
TrailSeeker2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 121 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast
 
Aegis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fresno,Ca
Posts: 278
Sounds like the scrambler is what you want. I think they would both have the same low end torque and mid range. For mudding the scrambler would probably be better. I just got the Sportsman 1000 will have it out tomorrow for it's maiden voyage in the forest.

2005 700EFI Red
2007 RANGER 700EFI Green
2009 850 XP Green
2015 1000 XP Black Pearl
Aegis is offline  
post #3 of 121 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast
 
TrailSeeker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Sounds like the scrambler is what you want. I think they would both have the same low end torque and mid range. For mudding the scrambler would probably be better. I just got the Sportsman 1000 will have it out tomorrow for it's maiden voyage in the forest.
Hmm, okay thank you for your answer. Yeah I'm kinda thinking the scrambler is the one I want now to lol. Tell me how your voyage goes with the sportsman 1000, please Have you driven it yet? Just curious haha,
TrailSeeker2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 121 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 03:46 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast
 
Aegis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fresno,Ca
Posts: 278
No,, have not had a chance to ride it yet. I am currently in urban city can't rider here. Will be in the mountains tomorrow so I hope to get a ride in by afternoon. I currently have a 700 & 850, all are sportsman models. I need the utility way more than I need a scrambler for my riding needs.

2005 700EFI Red
2007 RANGER 700EFI Green
2009 850 XP Green
2015 1000 XP Black Pearl

Last edited by Aegis; 09-30-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Aegis is offline  
post #5 of 121 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast
 
TrailSeeker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
No have not had a chance to ride it yet. I am currently in urban city can't rider here. Will be in the mountains tomorrow so I hope to get a ride in by afternoon. I currently have a 700 & 850, all are sportsman models. I need the utility way more than I need a scrambler for my riding needs.
Ohh okay, cool. Yeah I see what you're saying, I already have a sportsman for work but I guess the scrambler is for my needs haha. Have fun tomorrow riding, bet that 1000 will hall some a$$ haha. Thank you,
- Andrew
TrailSeeker2 is offline  
post #6 of 121 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 11:54 PM
ATV Enthusiast
 
pewter02ws6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mount Carmel,PA
Posts: 49
these two aren't two totally different quads like some seem to think. as for the mechanical differences, they are built on the same chassis and have the same motor. mechanically, i believe they are identical minus the exhaust and clutching. the difference in weight that you are seeing is due to the body and the fact that the sportsman 1000 comes standard with a 2500Lb. winch. you mentioned mud/water and trails which tells me you'll be much better off with the sportsman as it offers much better mud protection than the scrambler does. if you're doing mud/water you'll definitely need a winch as well which is standard on the sportsman whereas you'll end up spending even more money to add one if you were to buy the scrambler. the scrambler also offers very little in storage/rack space compared to the sportsman.most trail/mud riders are always packing extra stuff which will be an issue if you were to go with the scrambler.

if you do any night riding, also take note that the sportsman has the third headlight while the scrambler does not. another thing to consider is that the scrambler comes with the most terrible tire to ever come on an atv. lol! the carlisle 489 IIs that come on the scrambler are only 4 ply and very prone to flats. they also don't seem to wear too good. the carlisle PXTs that come on the sportsman have a 6 ply rating and seem to last longer over the 489 IIs. i will say that the scrambler does come with led lightning but at the price of led light bars these days, you can easily pick one up off amazon or ebay for roughly $70 and it will offer a hell of a lot more light than the stock scrambler. the biggest edge the scrambler DOES have is the Fox shocks but polaris does offer them as an upgrade and they can be found below the retail price for just under $1000. it also doesn't have engine braking which some love and others do not. i personally prefer the engine braking of the sportsman.

when thinking about it, you could buy the sportsman, add a clutch kit and the fox shocks and you'll have a much better machine for the same amount of money than if you were to buy the scrambler. ;-)

Last edited by pewter02ws6; 10-01-2014 at 03:27 AM.
pewter02ws6 is offline  
post #7 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 12:28 AM
Polaris ATV Legend
 
ThorsHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Western WA
Posts: 7,412
Garage
First off, Snorkel it. don't wait do it right away. you plan on mudding it. call it insurance on a 6 figure investment.

Second. you could save some money and get the 850 and still have more than enough power for your desired needs. getting the 1k just gets you bragging rights (for now).

as for the two, it really depends on one simple thing. what do you want to take with you? if you can fit it on the scrambler, than get that. If you can't, than get the sportsman. at the end of the day it all depends on what you want. not what anyone else wants.

"There are no problems. There are only Solutions. It's your job to find the right one.

2017 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS
3500 lbs Polaris winch with Synthetic Rope
Front Utility Rack
ODI Rogue Lockon Grips

2007 Hawkeye 300 17HP of gutless glory
25" STI Black Diamond ATRs
Pure Polaris Deluxe front Brush guard
Pure Polaris hand guards
ODI Rogue Lockon Grips
4" LED on the pod
8" LED light bar on the front bumper.
Badlands 2500 lbs. winch w/remote and Kong winch saver.
Full Aluminum Skid plate and A-arm guards(custom built)
Pure Polaris Front rack extension
Quadworks Stage 1 power kit
  • K&N Highflow reusable filter
  • Quadworks highflow prefilter
  • Dynojet kit
2" rear spring spacers
ThorsHammer is offline  
post #8 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 03:03 AM
Polaris ATV Legend
 
gtsum2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,472
Do you care about getting muddy and drenched and do you need the rack space? Answer those and you have your quad. You can get fender flares for the scrambler but at that point why not just get the sportsman? And make no mistake about it, you will be drenched and covered on the scrambker
gtsum2 is offline  
post #9 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast
 
TrailSeeker2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by pewter02ws6 View Post
these two aren't two totally different quads like some seem to think. as for the mechanical differences, they are built on the same chassis and have the same motor. mechanically, i believe they are identical minus the exhaust and clutching. the difference in weight that you are seeing is due to the body and the fact that the sportsman 1000 comes standard with a 2500Lb. winch. you mentioned mud/water and trails which tells me you'll be much better off with the sportsman as it offers much better mud protection than the scrambler does. if you're doing mud/water you'll definitely need a winch as well which is standard on the sportsman whereas you'll end up spending even more money to add one if you were to buy the scrambler. the scrambler also offers very little in storage/rack space compared to the sportsman.most trail/mud riders are always packing extra stuff which will be an issue if you were to go with the scrambler.

if you do any night riding, also take note that the sportsman has the third headlight while the scrambler does not. another thing to consider is that the scrambler comes with the most terrible tire to ever come on an atv. lol! the carlisle 489 IIs that come on the scrambler are only 4 ply and very prone to flats. they also don't seem to wear too good. the carlisle PXTs that come on the sportsman have a 6 ply rating and seem to last longer over the 489 IIs. i will say that the scrambler does come with led lightning but at the price of led light bars these days, you can easily pick one up off amazon or ebay for roughly $70 and it will offer a hell of a lot more light than the stock scrambler. the biggest edge the scrambler DOES have is the Fox shocks but polaris does offer them as an upgrade and they can be found below the retail price for just under $1000. it also doesn't have engine braking which some love and others do not. i personally prefer the engine braking of the sportsman.

when thinking about it, you could buy the sportsman, add a clutch kit and the fox shocks and you'll have a much better machine for the same amount of money than if you were to buy the scrambler. ;-)
Well yeah, I see what you're saying. I really don't need the rack space though, I could just carry a backpack. I love the looks of the sportsman but it weighs more though it has a winch, etc so I'm not sure. I'm going to be doing some hardcore mudding, can the sportsman take it?
TrailSeeker2 is offline  
post #10 of 121 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 04:45 AM
Polaris ATV Legend
 
gtsum2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,472
There is very very little difference between the two except ebs, racks and plastics.
gtsum2 is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV Purchasing and Price

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sportsman 1000 vs Scrambler 1000 ? pingwin Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 10 08-26-2015 10:58 PM
On Paper: Sportsman 1000 vs Outlander 1000 XT chronix79 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 12 10-09-2014 08:04 AM
2015 scrambler 1000! PolarisME Polaris Scrambler XP 1000 4 09-07-2014 03:01 PM
Scrambler 1000 vs Rene 1000 Vtprairie Polaris Scrambler XP 1000 31 08-25-2014 03:38 AM
2015 1000 Xp Sportsman BlkPrl1000xp Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 0 08-10-2014 01:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome