Bringing 1998 Xplorer 400 back from the dead!!! - Page 3 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

when I rebuilt mine I also used RTV to add an additional layer of sealing protection. The starter is at a bad location for getting water in it. I also took the starter apart and sealed around the connections and the case. This is probably the #1 cause of failure with this starter. I hope you also used locktite on all the bolts. There is a lot of torque being placed on those bolts and things need to stay tight to keep water out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to DjJazzyJeffTN
What is RTV? I have not installed it yet but I am going to get the gaskets this afternoon and will try to get it in there tonight. I will make sure to use locktite on all of the bolts. Thanks for the help. Also is there a need to drain the 2 stroke oil? Does unused oil lose it's attributes over time?

1998 Polaris Xplorer 400
Ox Lite Bumper
Warn 2500 winch
post #23 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:54 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) AKA make a gasket. Just use a light amount on each side of the gasket before installation.

as far as the oil it's probably a good idea to remove the inline filter and lines and blow them clean with brake cleaner to make sure it is not clogged before installing all the lines. Drain some of the oil and watch to see if its clumpy. If it is drain/flush the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:33 PM

do yourself a favor and make sure the battery is charged... then with the key and switch on...go down to the selonoid and cross the two polls with a long screw driver....the starter should be powered at that point and it should kick over....then go out and get a selonoid no caulking...it must be sealed!
post #25 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Starter Solenoid

So here is what I am thinking. I have gotten the carb rebuilt and i hope that it works, but we havent gotten to that yet. I have learned that the chassis for the 1998 Xplorer has much less room to work with than the 1997 Sportsman. Installing the starter seems much more impossible on the Xplorer. I broke down and went to the Polaris of Memphis Store and the guy was very nice and set me up with everything that i needed. Including a puller to get the clutch off. Which made a world of difference. I would recommend anyone who is replacing the starter on a 1998 Polaris Xplorer 400 not to waste their time trying to do this without pulling the clutch.

Now with all of that being said i installed the clutch back per the Polaris manual, but is there anything that i should take into consideration so that nothing gets messed up in there? Just don't want an oops moment.

While trying to install the battery that i recently purchased the 4wheeler started to turn over without the key or run switch on. After scaring the mess out of me i quickly remembered that my uncle said (8 years ago) that he was going to bypass the starter solenoid so that it would work for that day. I also remember him clipping wires and such. I also found a wire with a missing piece on the end. I replaced the end but what i am realizing is that i dont know how the electrical system goes back together. The line with the missing end came from the 10A circuit breaker from the back of the battery. Should this be attached to the positive of the battery? I am going to upload some photos that shows what i have going on right now.

Right now i have the battery to the primeline starter solenoid (Primeline part#7-01860-1) then the other post to the starter. I have the lower post going to the fuse line. Here is something that i have just now found out though........I have the primeline with 4 posts (Primeline part#7-01860-1) and not the one with 3 posts (Primeline part#7-01861-1). I did not check the part number when i took it in there to them. Crap do i need to take it back? Is the only difference that i need to ground this other lower post? Does it matter which post i hook everything up to? Which side of the solenoid should go to the battery and which should go to the starter? or are the sides interchangeable?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	primeline solenoid.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	1812   Click image for larger version

Name:	1998 Xplorer 400 003.jpg
Views:	4227
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1813   Click image for larger version

Name:	1998 Xplorer 400 ELECTRICAL DIAGRAM copy.jpg
Views:	21333
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1814  

1998 Polaris Xplorer 400
Ox Lite Bumper
Warn 2500 winch
post #26 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

OK lets see if I can explain this in plain english.....

The two large connection on the top of the solenoid are switched power for the starter. One lug connects directly to the battery and one directly to the starter. This should be a 10ga (or larger) wire probably already there it just needs to be run properly.

The two smaller connections on the bottom are what powers the magnetic solenoid switch. The one with the tab goes to the 12v+ wire from the starter switch. It should have a fuse inline and will be a smaller wire like a 16ga or less. The other smaller connection on the solenoid goes directly to a ground. This can either be a good frame ground or directly to the battery negative it's up to you.

I hope this is clear enough if not I can probably throw together a drawing of what I am talking about.
post #27 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Would this be what you are talking about?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STARTER DIAGRAM copy.jpg
Views:	62540
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1815  

1998 Polaris Xplorer 400
Ox Lite Bumper
Warn 2500 winch
post #28 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

wow so I was making sense, LOL.... You got it!
post #29 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Manean thanks for the wiring advice, and also thank you to everyone else who gave me advice. Celebrate with me now.......when I have the key on and the run switch on and I press the start button the starter engages and the engine turns over. It's a small victory to celebrate.

Here is what is going on now--> The engine is just not trying to start. I checked to make sure I am getting spark to the plug by sticking a screwdriver into the rubber fitting and hitting the start button (my hair now stands straight up) i thought my hand was all the way on the handle not on the metal shaft. Nothing the taste of a mouthful of pennies. That rules the coil out and the spark plug as it is brand spankin new. I would imagine the problem now lies in the newly rebuilt carburetor that I kind if winged. I didn't know anything about screw turns out for some of the parts. I received a manual in the mail today and was par oozing it and they were able to get shit off of that carb that I thought was impossible. I am going to take it out maybe Sunday and see if I can follow the instructions step by step and eliminate this as a problem.

I feel pretty good about the way that the project has gone so far and it hasn't been too bad on the wallet so far. I might even get some free mechanic work out of the deal. The mechanic at the office that works on all of our small engine stuff, mowers, dingo, and a Polaris sportsman 500 that we use as a spray rig wants to buy an old 1986 Honda 80R dirt bike from us. Well my dad being a pack rat does not usually sell stuff but he has been known to let something walk out the door for some kind of a trade. Not a bad deal. He is a good mechanic and all I have to do is hand over a dirt bike that has not run in the same amount of time as the 4 wheeler. Sounds great I would not fit on it anyway. I am 6'5"! Well not that you wanted to hear all that mess but thought it might be nice to know that the project is going well. A lot of these threads just seem to end and no one tells what the freaking solution to the problem was. Ok goodnight!

1998 Polaris Xplorer 400
Ox Lite Bumper
Warn 2500 winch

Last edited by DjJazzyJeffTN; 12-30-2010 at 09:50 PM.
post #30 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 07:43 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Thank you for the thread. I have little mechanical ability and no advice to give but I have enjoyed reading this thread and following your trials and tribulations along with small victories. I hope you will keep this going till the end. When you get the mechanical done you can start anew on the cosmetic and functional aspects of the ride. Who knows, you might even make a profit on it and then tackle your brothers unit --Sounds like some unfinished business there. Best wishes on the new year and please do keep us posted on your progress. It has been fun.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Tags
400, polaris, solenoid, starter, xplorer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode