Sportsman 500 4wd wont disengage - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Question Sportsman 500 4wd wont disengage

First I would like to say hi. I am new to the site and new to Polaris. I have owned My 2004 Sportsman 500 for about 6 months and have put about 200 miles on it. I love the bike but today I was riding in some light snow, about 2 inches, and the 4wd started engaging by itself. I could see and feel the front grab when the rear tires would spin but the switch was off and steered like normal and I could spin the tires for a little before the front engaged quite3 harshly. I jacked the bike up and could not get the fronts to engage until I hit the awd switch on then off again and they would not disengage. any ideas? Btw I love this bike and am looking for a Sportsman 800 now to beat my brothers KingQuad 700, lol.

Last edited by jb35; 12-29-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 06:46 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Welcome, I'm somewhat new also. Sounds like the problem is with the Hilliard Clutch in the front drive. These things are fairly simple to work on if your mildly handy. My suggestion is to buy a Clymer Maintenance manual. It gives you some pretty good step by step info. The down side is it makes everything seem easier than it is. Considering its a 2004 and you bought it used it's very possible the front drive fluid has never been replaced also. That could be part of the problem.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Welcome aboard!

I tried setting my password to "penis" but it said my password wasn't long enough...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

thanks, I will check the diff fluid first, hopefully that is it
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 05:52 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb35 View Post
thanks, I will check the diff fluid first, hopefully that is it
You want to check the Drive Hub fluid, not Diff. fluid. The Hilliard clutch is married up next to the bearings in the hub of each front wheel. The front hubs are filled with this fluid, and if it's low or the fluid is old or contaminated the clutch might not operate correctly. If the fluid is low you may need to replace the seals in the front hubs. If the seals are bad you could have water intrusion.

Last edited by Hullhorr; 12-26-2010 at 05:57 AM.
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

so does each hub have its own drain and filler for fluid? I figured the hilliard clutch was in the front differential and then went through the axles to the hubs? Is there a certain fluid to use?

Last edited by jb35; 12-26-2010 at 04:06 PM.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 04:25 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Yes, each hub has it's own fluid seperate from the differential (pumpkin). If you take the front wheel off and look at the hub you will see a allen screw that tightens up flush with the hub. This is where you add fluid. There are 3 or 4 torx screws that hold the cap on the end of the hub that if you remove will allow all the fluid to drain. There are other things that could be wrong with the Hilliard clutch besides the fluid, but it's a simple place to start.

Polaris makes a specific fluid for the front hubs. I forget which one it is off the top of my head, but I believe the polaris website has a graph that tells you what fluids to use where for every year sportsman made.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullhorr View Post
Yes, each hub has it's own fluid seperate from the differential (pumpkin). If you take the front wheel off and look at the hub you will see a allen screw that tightens up flush with the hub. This is where you add fluid. There are 3 or 4 torx screws that hold the cap on the end of the hub that if you remove will allow all the fluid to drain. There are other things that could be wrong with the Hilliard clutch besides the fluid, but it's a simple place to start.

Polaris makes a specific fluid for the front hubs. I forget which one it is off the top of my head, but I believe the polaris website has a graph that tells you what fluids to use where for every year sportsman made.
thanks for the detailed description and break down, I am planning on working on the bike a little later this week.
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:

Is this the same for the new 2011 also??
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb35 View Post
Quote:

thanks for the detailed description and break down, I am planning on working on the bike a little later this week.
well i got the wheel off and then took off the brake assembly but there was no clutch assembly. i called my local dealer and they told me the same thing about each wheel hilliard, after he double checked they switched to a centrailzed hilliard in 2004. just changed the fluid, which was pretty dirty and it is still doing it. it works fine until you switch into awd and then back to 2wd it will start engaging again. any ideas, could it be a bad switch or something.

Last edited by jb35; 12-29-2010 at 10:59 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode