Engine Coolant - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Engine Coolant

I just noticed that the reservoir in my 05 Sportsman 800 is empty. This can't be good is it?

2005 Sportsman 800 EFI Twin:
  • Warn RT30 Winch
  • Front Rack Extension
  • Rear Passenger Seat
  • Fender guards with Foot Pegs
  • Hand and Thumb Warmers
  • Front & Rear Brush Guards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Just fill it to the cold line when the machine is fully cooled down. Also pop your radiator cap off, and fill it full if it isnt. As long as your machine hasnt overheated on you, you are fine and havent caused any damage with the bottle empty.

Keep your eye on the bottle. It should always be about the cold line when the machine is cold, and should be full when the machine is at running temperature.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Might want to take a look at the weep hole on the water pump, and also check your oil for that milky color. Just in case you've got a leak somewhere.

2006 Sportsman 450
27" Vampires on ITP Delta wheels
HD springs
Front Brushguard
3 headlight mod
55w driving lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
Might want to take a look at the weep hole on the water pump, and also check your oil for that milky color. Just in case you've got a leak somewhere.
Just got back from the garage. Oil looks good. Opened the radiator cap, there is coolant in there....seems to be full. Tomorrow I will get some coolant and add it to the reservoir bottle. What kind of coolant is it or do I have to get the stuff from the stealership?

• Warn RT30 Winch
  • Front Rack Extension
  • Rear Passenger Seat
  • Hand and Thumb Warmers
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Any ethylene glycol based coolant mixed at 50/50 or 60/40 coolant-water will work just fine for you. You probably have some laying around your garage for your cars.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueline15 View Post
Any ethylene glycol based coolant mixed at 50/50 or 60/40 coolant-water will work just fine for you. You probably have some laying around your garage for your cars.
Are you sure that's all it is? Polaris doesn't use anything special for coolant?

• Warn RT30 Winch
  • Front Rack Extension
  • Rear Passenger Seat
  • Hand and Thumb Warmers
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

[QUOTE=KevGuy;73272 Are you sure that's all it is? Polaris doesn't use anything special for coolant?[/QUOTE]

Cant understand why you would think that? Maybe youll find it on the shelf next to the 2W-50 oil.

Seriously I hope it doesnt take special coolant I have just used regular old green prestone.

04 Sportsman 700 efi black and silver, Big Gun Evo exhaust and tuner,3 light mod,reverse override,bar and thumb warmers,Moose pregressors,Black Rock wheels,Polaris(warn) winch and plow, 2 inch receiver, Filtermag.
08 Sportsman 500 efi Browning camo, Big gun Evo exhaust and tuner,3 light mod,reverse override,bar and thumb warmers,Moose pregressors,Polaris(warn) winch, Cycle Country plow, 2 inch receiver, Black rock wheels,Filtermag
00 Magnum 325 not very HO green, rolled, wrecked and rebuilt,heated grips and thumb warmer, Filtermag.
88 Yamaha Warrior 350 my first
88 Honda Foreman 350 takes care of the yard work
91 Suzuki DR 350 solves the urge to ride wheelies and catch big air
05 Kawasaki KLR 650 scratches the paved road itch
92&93 Indy 500 EFI SKSs takes care of the need to get away from home in the winter
04 Yerf Dog spiderbox buggy was supposed to be for the kids but I find I cant quit tinkering with it
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevGuy View Post
Quote:
Are you sure that's all it is? Polaris doesn't use anything special for coolant?
Positive. It is the most convential coolant around. If its green, likey it is okay to use. The bottle should say what it is based of off. As long as it says ethylene glycol based, your good to go with whatever brand.

I am 100% about this.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevGuy View Post
Quote:
Positive. It is the most convential coolant around. If its green, likey it is okay to use. The bottle should say what it is based of off. As long as it says ethylene glycol based, your good to go with whatever brand.

I am 100% about this.
thanks all.

• Warn RT30 Winch
  • Front Rack Extension
  • Rear Passenger Seat
  • Hand and Thumb Warmers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode