Attention: Owners of polaris sportsman xp 850 eps years 2009 & 2010 - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 03:56 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I get about an 1/8th of an inch on th bottom of the airbox. I have also read about the other brands having the same problem with the oil in the air box. IMO the breather hose does not need to go into the airbox it only does that for environmental reason. I'm thinking about relocating it to the pod and caping it with a small filter.

2010 Polaris Sportsman 850XP EPS
Stage 4 Elka stocks
6000K HID'S
3500 Pound Winch
5" KC Apollo Lights modified with 6000K HID'S
Polaris Front and Rear Brush Guards
Pitbull Rocker Tires
Gramin Montana 650T GPS
Glacier II Plow

2000 Yamaha Banshee
FMF Pipes and Silencer
Boost Bottle
K&N Air Filter
Nerf Bars
Hole Shot Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthepooty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogoman View Post
There has been a considerable amount of the aforementioned models (specially 2010) down here in Argentina that collect engine oil in the air-filter compartment. Marcelo
Marcelo,
How much oil are we talking about? Specks, stains, sloshing pints?
-Dave
Hi Dave,

Varies according to different machines. Here we are few and merry and we get together. Mine is definitely not specs, but stains. Used to be worse but somehow diminished after the 50-hour mark. But it persists. Yesterday I got the whole vale cover replaced; I have a mounting tripcoming in 2 weeks and I will see. Prior to the valve cover replacement, I cleaned the whole thing and then went out and put about 10 miles really hitting it (68 mph, climbs, descents, fast curves, all almost full gas) and this is how I received the mechanic who came to change the cover:

And btw; last year I did that unveliebably demanding trip (700 miles in 5 days at 5000 meters altitude) in the Andes mountains with my XP 550, and when I came down and pulled-out the air-filter all that could be seen was dust. Not a speckle of oil.

Now the whole valve cover is new and the chamber is dry, so I will see if the problem is solved or not.

Marcelo

Last edited by Dogoman; 03-04-2011 at 04:37 AM.
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 05:59 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Good post Marcelo! I've been following your thread and another one on this forum. It makes me very nervous about my 2010 850 XP. I hope the new valve cover turns out to be the fix. I've read in another thread that the new valve cover has worked for some and not for others. My 2010 850 only has 7.2 hrs. and so far my airbox is dry. Good luck with your 850 and let us know how it works with the new valve cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Question for the board. Does anyone think that this an actual performance issue or could it be just a nuisance?

My neighbor called the cops because I was playing Radar Love too loud.... they arrested him.
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthepooty View Post
Question for the board. Does anyone think that this an actual performance issue or could it be just a nuisance?
Down here they are measuring the compression in all the units compromised. Normal compression is between 210 and 250 psi. If the number you get in yours is that, they "just" change the valve cover. If the number is below (some have scored as low as 120), they replace the whole engine. So I would say it can be more than a nuisance.
The compression on mine is going to be measured these days. I'll let you know how it goes.

Marcelo
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Hey Marcelo...I can understand your frustration with Polaris but, if you are committed to switch brands, you might want to check the shootouts & field tests before you buy an AC. The articles I've read seem to favor the Grizz & Outlander over the AC. I don't know how many options you have in your area though. Congrats on completing the Andes 700 mile trip! How did your 550 hold up in comparison to the other bikes?

2011 Sportsman Touring 850 (current)
2006 Outlander 400 (Sold)
2001 Sportsman 500HO (Current)
1997 Explorer 500 (Traded)
1998 Sport 400. (Sold)
1994 Trailblazer. (Sold)
198? Suzuki Quadsport 230. (Sold)
197? Yamaha YZ225 Three-Wheeler (Traded)
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbez1 View Post
Hey Marcelo...I can understand your frustration with Polaris but, if you are committed to switch brands, you might want to check the shootouts & field tests before you buy an AC. The articles I've read seem to favor the Grizz & Outlander over the AC. I don't know how many options you have in your area though. Congrats on completing the Andes 700 mile trip! How did your 550 hold up in comparison to the other bikes?
Thanks!
The Outlander is a fancy machine, but the local representation is BAD and getting spare parts is a problem. I have heard of several problems with suspension, they SEEM as not as tough as our expeditions demand. Plus, IMO too much electronics; when you are 400 miles from the nearest inhabited place you don't want a computer going wrong. That's why the 420 Honda is so popular down here among hard-core outdoor riders. You just gas it and it works; nothing fancy, not great power, but nothing that can break and leave you stranded, plus, it is light in weight and you can lift it easily. Only problem I see is it lacks space to carry baggage for long trips. As for the Grizzlies, they do have a nice reputation down here; the representation is so and so, though. There was a global recall for 550 and 700 Grizz in 2010; apparenty the steering bar would break. Users learned about it through the web; nobody from Yamaha here called them. But it would be a good option. I am discarding the Arctic Cat 1000 because fuel consumption is OUTRAGEOUS (a friend of used a full tank -22 liters- for 100 kms) and besides the money issue, it is simply a logistic complication when I have to plan a 700-mile trip with almost no refueling options...I would need to carry with me 40 gallons of gas, and it ain't practical. I am looking at the AC 700 LTD.

The 550 was flawless, and I have to say I regret having changed it; oh boy do I!! It handled everything; at 15.000 feet high and with 400 pounds of cargo (160 was me, and 240 the baggage, fuel, and goodies for the indian school kids up there) it kept climbing with no hesitation. In the extreme conditions we had up there, I have to say the ATV's that better worked were the 550 and the old and reliable 500 EFI workhorse. One Outlander burned a fuse and lost 4x4 traction, and a Polaris 800 cc kept having problems with the fuel admission system and stopping every 15 miles or so (again, a problem I have seen in several 800's).

Marcelo
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Thanks for the detailed response. It's interesting reading. I'll bet you were in better shape after 700 miles than the Honda riders. I do understand the benefits of Honda reliability though. Best wishes!

Last edited by Dbez1; 03-05-2011 at 10:40 AM.
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbez1 View Post
Thanks for the detailed response. It's interesting reading. I'll bet you were in better shape after 700 miles than the Honda riders. I do understand the benefits of Honda reliability though. Best wishes!
Yep, they do are on the hard side, suspension-wise.

Thanks!

Marcelo
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Ok it's my video, it's only to show the breather...I've no solution for the problem...My dealer changed the valve cover for the new one, and it changed nothing! My 850 is at the dealer for 2 weeks now, they changing the whole crankcase, and the pressure relief valve on the oil pump, a guy who got this problem had 66psi of oil pressure, the normal pressure is 20. So maybe it's the problem is coming from, if there to much pressure all the oil is going in the motor head, and it empty the crankcase, until there oil in the motor it go into the airbox...I'm going to have my atv in the beginning of the week, so more new later...

Last edited by Makavel07; 03-05-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode