gas boiling in 2011 ranger 800 xp - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

gas boiling in 2011 ranger 800 xp

I have about 17 hours on the unit. Have noticed that when running in sand for a while, engine under load, I started smelling gas. Today I took my pyrometer and when i shut it down after a few miles in the sand. The side of the gas tank that faces the engine was 160 degrees and vapors were poring out of the vent tube. I could here a sizzling sound. I assume that was gas boiling on that side of tank.

The engine is not overheating, fan cycles on and off as normal, 194 - 206 degrees. I took temp readings on the belt housing transmission and so forth, all was ok.

Anyone seen this before? what was the answer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I have read about this and finally experienced it not too long ago.
I was plowing for several hours and heard the sound after I was done & shut the atv off.
Took off gas cap and actually seen the gas bubbling.

Like I said, I read about this but can't believe a plastic gas tank would
hold up to gas boiling. I think I remember reading gas can start boiling
@ 104 degree's or so, but don't quote me on that.

Take care,
Scott Deeter

1998 Scrambler 400 4x4 2 stroke (SOLD)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Welcome to the board!

I tried setting my password to "penis" but it said my password wasn't long enough...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 08:33 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Boy, this one is a head scratcher. I Wonder if you don't have a plugged vent line from the tank, that would cause pressure in the tank. On my 500, If I take off the gas cap while it is running I hear the same sound but I know for a fact the fuel is not boiling. It is the fuel return. I would say check your vents and cap too. If you have boiling fuel You have a big problem and better see a dealer. Just my opinion.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 08:57 AM
ATV Enthusiast

I havenever heard of this from a Polaris but Grizzlies had a similar problem. I think they had a heat shield issue though, but not for sure.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I am going to throw this out there but have never seen it. Could it be possible that the tank is under a vacuum - as in not venting?

2010 Polaris 550 XP EPS
Polaris Lock n' Ride Front Cargo Box
Polaris Steel Rear Rack Extender
JamStraight Model 3157R LED Tail Lamps
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 08:20 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Yes the 07 & 08 Yamaha Grizzlies had the problem. Yami fixed it by replacing the "roll over valve" which is a fancy name for the tank vent. Check your venting system. Be sure it's not kinked or blocked. If there is any kind of one way valve in the vent line you can change it out with a small fuel filter from NAPA. This is what the Grizzly owners did until Yamaha came out with their factory fix.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 09:22 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Well a vacuum problem would certainly fit the description. You say it does it while on heavy load, so therefore you are ingesting much more fuel than normal. If the venting system is not supplying ambient pressure back into the tank then the gas would begin to boil off under vacuum.

2010 Polaris 550 XP EPS
Polaris Lock n' Ride Front Cargo Box
Polaris Steel Rear Rack Extender
JamStraight Model 3157R LED Tail Lamps
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 02:05 PM

2011 Ranger xp 800 excessive heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwhitedog View Post
I have about 17 hours on the unit. Have noticed that when running in sand for a while, engine under load, I started smelling gas. Today I took my pyrometer and when i shut it down after a few miles in the sand. The side of the gas tank that faces the engine was 160 degrees and vapors were poring out of the vent tube. I could here a sizzling sound. I assume that was gas boiling on that side of tank.

The engine is not overheating, fan cycles on and off as normal, 194 - 206 degrees. I took temp readings on the belt housing transmission and so forth, all was ok.

Anyone seen this before? what was the answer?
Hey everyone. Im new to the forum but have a new 2011 ranger xp le. Sorry to say guys but this is a factory DEFECT. my little girl was scalled sitting in the center of the seat where I now know heat is blasting through. I called Polaris and gave them a piece of my mind. I will NOT buy some after market fix to repair something that is obviously and engineering f##@ UP!.

Also apparently some of the dealers are dialing down the fuel mixture wihich IMOP is treating the system and may damage tghe engine further down the road. No Polaris needs to fix this and needs to hear from all of you as well.

Thanks all
Pman

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode