'01 Sportsman rear axle removal - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 07:45 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Chances are he can't get either side out so repeatedly saying this isn't helping at all!
Muggzy and carch4 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 07:46 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwssr View Post
Chances are he can't get either side out so repeatedly saying this isn't helping at all!
my bad good point
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:43 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Get a pry bar in the inside u joint and find something to pry it against or hold the other end of the bar and smack it with a hammer as close as you can to the axle. The screw driver won't get much leverage there and like what was said above could get seals. Possibly break part of the housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Wrap one end of an old strap around the center section of the axle and tie a loop into the other end. Put a sledge hammer through the loop and give it a good swing outwards. Kinda acts like a slide hammer. It's always worked for me.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by carch4 View Post
Did you remove the other side by now? Or still messing around problem side of axle? Pound out thru other side. wow this is a week old brother

Like I said, that is a last resort. I don't believe the other side will come off any easier. Yeah, it's been getting soaked most every day for more than a week now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

'01 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO project (needs a 'lil TLC. OK, OK, a LOT of TLC)
My first 4WD ATV!

1" wheel spacers, 25" STI Black Diamond Tires, Front and rear storage with seat.

My other ride is a 2-stroke sport quad.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
Driving those screwdrivers in that way will probably cause the seal to start leaking and may in fact damage/crack the housing. It also cocks the cup and ring to one side binding it and making it even harder to get out.
Keep soaking with PB and go all around the cv cup with a 3 lbs. hammer jarring it. Then repeat. Then yank on it some. Then repeat. The splines and/or spring ring are rusted together because they haven't been removed for 17 years. The trick is to break them free with vibration. Keep at it and it will eventually come loose. It also helps to have an assistant keep outward pressure on it while you pry and jar.
You can remove the axle shaft from the cup and tack weld a short piece of chain to attache a slide hammer if you are impatient. But that's pretty extreme. I've always been able to get them to come with persistence.
Thanks polman. I'll keep at it as you described.

My first 4WD ATV!

1" wheel spacers, 25" STI Black Diamond Tires, Front and rear storage with seat.

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmtbob View Post
Get a pry bar in the inside u joint and find something to pry it against or hold the other end of the bar and smack it with a hammer as close as you can to the axle. The screw driver won't get much leverage there and like what was said above could get seals. Possibly break part of the housing.

Wasn't using the screw drivers to pry. Was using the blades as a wedge. Gonna keep putting pb blaster on it til the weekend. Should have a new air hammer by then too. I'll see if I can drive it out by putting the air hammer against the inside of the outer u-joint and pushing away from the machine with it.

My first 4WD ATV!

Last edited by Muggzy; 06-12-2017 at 06:16 PM.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:29 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

There is a seal behind the inner axle cup so be careful you could damage it with the screw drivers. Use something to pry out on the axle and hit that inner cup with a hammer, work your way around the axle, just apply the pressure toward the axle. I used a long 90 degree needle nose pliers to pry with, it put pressure on two sides of the axle at the same time. And yes like previously stated coat the splines with anti-seize....See the link below, these are exactly what i used along with 2lb hammer.

https://www.harborfreight.com/11-inc...ers-39539.html

2014 Polaris Sportsman 400 HO
Pure Polaris Front Brush Guard
Pure Polaris Rear Bruch Guard
LT2500 Superwinch from Cabelas
Kolpin Rear ATV Cargo Lounger
Kimpex Rear Fender Guard and footrest
3 Headlight mod
QSC CLUTCH KIT (From RVS)

Last edited by philgood0316; 06-12-2017 at 12:34 PM.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bshuk57 View Post
Wrap one end of an old strap around the center section of the axle and tie a loop into the other end. Put a sledge hammer through the loop and give it a good swing outwards. Kinda acts like a slide hammer. It's always worked for me.

This technique will work too Mugzy ^^^I forgot about the ole sledge hammer trick.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bshuk57 View Post

This technique will work too Mugzy ^^^I forgot about the ole sledge hammer trick.
Thanks again Polman, I'm gong to focus on this repair on Saturday. On way or another, that damn thing is coming off.

My first 4WD ATV!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode