'01 Sportsman rear axle removal - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

'01 Sportsman rear axle removal

Hey all, I've been searching on here and you tube and can't find any help on this. I'm trying to replace my left rear axle on my 500HO but it won't come out.
My Clymer's manual and all the on-line advice says "hold the axle straight out and give it a good hard pull" but this be-ach just won't give. Tried spraying WD-40 into the joint and letting it soak for a few days, but no joy. I'm trying to use a screwdriver as a wedge but not getting anywhere here either - kinda worried about cracking the tranny case.
Anyone overcome this problem or have some experienced suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

'01 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO project (needs a 'lil TLC. OK, OK, a LOT of TLC)
My first 4WD ATV!

1" wheel spacers, 25" STI Black Diamond Tires, Front and rear storage with seat.

My other ride is a 2-stroke sport quad.

Last edited by Muggzy; 06-04-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 06:51 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

hi, try soaking spring clip with BP BLASTER penetrating oil, it works much better than wd40 in my opinion/ experience.
another thing could be its got 1998-99 500 parts, those years had a small bolt holding axle in place, bolt would be right where your screwdriver is placed in that small gap.

2016 Scrambler 1000 xp
GSE single slip on muffler
Direction2 flares

2016 Sportsman 570 non ebs
Direction2 flares
ITP XTR radials
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 03:55 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggzy View Post
Hey all, I've been searching on here and you tube and can't find any help on this. I'm trying to replace my left rear axle on my 500HO but it won't come out.
My Clymer's manual and all the on-line advice says "hold the axle straight out and give it a good hard pull" but this be-ach just won't give. Tried spraying WD-40 into the joint and letting it soak for a few days, but no joy. I'm trying to use a screwdriver as a wedge but not getting anywhere here either - kinda worried about cracking the tranny case.
Anyone overcome this problem or have some experienced suggestions?

do you still have the problem??? If so remove the other axle once its removed use a solid bar like a rebar and with a sledge hammer pound on the problem axle from the other side and it will come out....once you install new axles or reinstall old ones always remember to apply anti-seize on axle threads don't be shy with it..I had the same problem with my 03 sportsman 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Sportsman Dan, Thanks. I'll try PB Blaster, I actually used Liquid Wrench repeatedly over the course of a few days with no luck. And thanks for the suggestion re the year of the parts but they're def orig. '01

Carch4, also thank you for the suggestion. As a last resort, I may try the other side and pound it through as per your suggestion but I'm really reluctant to, 'cause what if that side is just as bad? Then I've ripped into both sides and got nowhere. Like I said, I'll keep that for the last resort.

I was hoping that someone who does this for a living may have a trick or two up their sleeve, but I appreciate all ideas at this point. Thanks In advance!

My first 4WD ATV!

1" wheel spacers, 25" STI Black Diamond Tires, Front and rear storage with seat.

Last edited by Muggzy; 06-05-2017 at 02:58 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 05:51 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Take the boot off the inner joint, remove everything from the cup so all that is left is the cup, vise grips on one side & that screwdriver on the opposite side, pry & pull till it pops.
That's how I was able to get mine out, it's a b***h, but it can be done. I'll second the use of anti-seize, I lathered the ends with it.

2014 Sportsman 570
Powermadd Hand Guards
Viper Elite 3000 Winch/KFI mount
Denali Snow Plow
Polaris HD Front Springs
Kenda Executioners
Ricochet A-arm guards
QSC clutch kit

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 08:58 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
"...apply anti-seize on axle threads..." You mean splines, right? I haven't messed with axles yet, but didn't think there were any threads involved?
carch4 likes this.

2015 Sportsman XP 1000 Touring
Bronze Mist
QSC Clutch Kit
Ricochet Ultimate Armor Kit
HighLifter 2" lift kit
Kenda Bearclaw HTR 28" tires
Cecco frame braces
Cecco billet front pinion cover
Guru silver bumpers
12" LED lightbar
2" hitch w/bottle opener
Mid smoke windshield
Tatou 4s tracks for the snow
Synth winch line and Hawse fairlead
LED headlights
Wired for electric helmets
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 09:29 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper1500 View Post
"...apply anti-seize on axle threads..." You mean splines, right? I haven't messed with axles yet, but didn't think there were any threads involved?
Yes, splines
carch4 likes this.

2014 Sportsman 570
Powermadd Hand Guards
Viper Elite 3000 Winch/KFI mount
Denali Snow Plow
Polaris HD Front Springs
Kenda Executioners
Ricochet A-arm guards
QSC clutch kit

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Sooo I tried pounding 2 screwdrivers in as "wedges" against the transmission case and still getting no where. I haven't tried using an air impact hammer with a chisel but I'm not sure what else to do. Really worried about cracking the tranny case though. Anyone ever tried to do it this way successfully?

My first 4WD ATV!

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 07:00 AM

Driving those screwdrivers in that way will probably cause the seal to start leaking and may in fact damage/crack the housing. It also cocks the cup and ring to one side binding it and making it even harder to get out.
Keep soaking with PB and go all around the cv cup with a 3 lbs. hammer jarring it. Then repeat. Then yank on it some. Then repeat. The splines and/or spring ring are rusted together because they haven't been removed for 17 years. The trick is to break them free with vibration. Keep at it and it will eventually come loose. It also helps to have an assistant keep outward pressure on it while you pry and jar.
You can remove the axle shaft from the cup and tack weld a short piece of chain to attache a slide hammer if you are impatient. But that's pretty extreme. I've always been able to get them to come with persistence.
Muggzy and indyred570 like this.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 07:12 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

'01 Sportsman rear axle removal

Did you remove the other side by now? Or still messing around problem side of axle? Pound out thru other side. wow this is a week old brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by carch4; 06-11-2017 at 07:14 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode