$800 800 build - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 05:51 AM
Premium Member

I too always like to see things brought back from the dead. Nice work! As for your seat color, you can get spray on fabric dye and get it close to the front seat color. Automotive retailers should have it since that is the purpose. Might take some work to get the cammo pattern, but it can be done.

Good luck with your project!

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2019 Sportsman 450. 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427X Wheels.

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 25" Bear Claws QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
2018 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow-Sent to Daughter and Son-In-Law since his blew up
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Location: Town called Sugar Grove...located 30 minutes from Boone NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
I do have 2 questions for those who own 800's...
1. I have a clicking noise from inside the engine once its warmed up...previous owner said it had always made the noise. I would guess something to do with the valve train or timing chain. Should i be worried about the noise? I hear the same noise on YouTube from other 800's but still, my 500 didn't do that. It may be nothing but i'd rather hear what the pro's have to say.
2. When the quad is cold, it has a hesitation off idle and will sometime (rarely) die. Its not that bad, just aggravating. I adjusted the throttle cable which seemed to help some but its still there. Its almost like it runs to lean when cold...kinda like a carb model if you push the choke off to soon. Thing runs great otherwise! Any ideas on which way to head on this would be appreciated.
I will attach pictures in my next post.

1) The ticking (unless very loud) is normal for those engines and can be heard more on the right side of the engine. There is no timing chain. That engine has push rods and hydraulic lifters.

2) Your hesitation issue is the TPS. They get dead spots in them and get out of adjustment causing the symptoms you describe. Also, clean the throttle body thoroughly. Clean the TBAP with MAF cleaner and check the wire connections for both as it is very common for the connectors/wires to break.
There's a bunch of threads here and on the RZR forum about this issue.
Thanks for the help!! Got her running great tonight. I did clean and readjust the tps...used the specs and procedures i found for it but ended up fine tuning by ear. Even on factory specs it still didn't run perfect. I will say...the tps is a VERY sensitive piece!! The slightest change in adjustment makes it run terrible! Thanks again!

2005 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI Twin..."Back from the Dead"
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stave7119 View Post
I too always like to see things brought back from the dead. Nice work! As for your seat color, you can get spray on fabric dye and get it close to the front seat color. Automotive retailers should have it since that is the purpose. Might take some work to get the cammo pattern, but it can be done.

Good luck with your project!
Have you had good luck with the dye? I know cleaning and prep are key but will it be fairly durable? Never used it before is why i asked. Thanks for the advice!
On a side note...a friend mentioned ordering a seat cover for the quad seat just like the one on there now and then have it custom sewn to fit the rear seat. Any thoughts on that process???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 06:23 AM
Premium Member

I have never personally used the dye. I think it's available from Duplicolor so it should be good stuff. The pro car builders use it to change the color of interior panels and seats that are not available from the aftermarket either at all or in the color they need. Like you said surface prep would be the key there. Guessing you could probably do the dye job yourself in a few hours for a lot less $$ than a custom seat cover. Probably a body shop supply place could give you guidance on what you need to do.

Either way you decide, please post some photos!
Preacherman likes this.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2019 Sportsman 450. 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427X Wheels.

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 25" Bear Claws QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
2018 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow-Sent to Daughter and Son-In-Law since his blew up
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Just a quick update. This week has been crazy busy but i did get the new HD rear springs from EPI ordered and a new ignition/key switch ordered. Everything should be here by mid-next week so i will post results once these things are done! Love working on this thing!

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Got some unexpected time to work on a few things today. The new ignition switch came so i put that in. Notice the old switch that had a trimmed key...lol! Also, had a chance to build and install the new mount for my home made snow plow. Everything was made from scrap so no cost except my time. We don't have a terrible lot of snow here so not something i use more than a few times a winter. It is nice to keep the parking area and side walk clean though. I did over build the mount that goes on the quad. Its built out of 3 by 4 heavy wall box tubing with 3/8 mounting points. I attached it to some mid mounts that were already welded to the quad when i got it. This mount is made in a way so that it can be hard mounted in the front for use with front mount stuff like my snow blade or it can be left loose in front so it pivots at the mid mount point in case some future implement works better that way. I wanted a front mount snow blade set up because some places around here require the blade to lift fairly high. But then i hope to build a set of forks and a dirt bucket for the front at a later date...these two things may work better as a mid mount. Anyway, we made good progress today and the rear springs should be here by mid week. I'll get a few pics up once the springs are installed. Hope everybody has a safe/happy weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170902_154225067.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	87009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170902_154235158.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	87017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170902_153212241.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	3.83 MB
ID:	87025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170902_153238243.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	87033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170902_153254467.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	87041  

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Didn't get any pics of the rear spring install...we ran short on time. I will say that the new EPI HD springs made a huge difference. I haven't ridden it yet but we did mount up to see how they worked out and they were AWESOME! I would recommend these to anyone adding weight to the rear rack area. I added a seat from a TORO zero turn, two tool boxes and my wife...these springs handled it great!! To give you an idea of the added weight back there...i'd say the seat added 25lbs, my wife and i are in the 450lb range together and the tool boxes probably a few pounds. Before adding the EPI's the quad would just about bottom the springs...now, its like riding one-up with no added rear weight. And, i really don't think they will add any large amount of harshness to the ride quality. While i was at it...i put snow plow front rubber spacers in just to add some stiffness to the front as well. All in all...with the 2" lift, new rear springs and front spacers...it really looks MEAN! Can't wait to get it out for a ride later this week!
I'm thinking about adding oil pressure, engine temp and volt gauges at some point just to be able to monitor things. If anyone has advice on gauges/install...please feel free to enlighten me. I have searched a few threads on doing this and i think there's a company that sells a ready made kit...that may be the way to go even though it seems a bit more expensive than coming up with my own setup. Anyway, best wishes...and if your own the Eastern Seaboard, keep a watchful eye on Hurricane Irma!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode