2010 Sportsman 850 Front Axle won't stay in differential - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

2010 Sportsman 850 Front Axle won't stay in differential

I have a 2010 850 and had to replace the front right axle. I went with a Rhino from SuperAtv. The problem I'm having is I can't keep the axle in the differential. I can hear the retainer clip "click" into place and I can't move the inner axle housing at all when on the jack. Stays seated in differential. I put everything back together, rotate the tire/wheel, turn the wheel left and right, etc. Occasionally I can turn the tire left and right quickly and the axle will disengage from the differential. When I take it off the jack and back it out of the garage, it disengages from the differential and I can move it in and out by hand, every time. I have also been able to move it into the diff by hand and hear the click. Then it's tight again until I run the machine again. Go 20 feet and check again and it's loose again. SuperATV replaced the first axle that I had this problem with and I'm having it again with the second one. They have been helpful but I don't know if it's a problem with the axle or something else.

I noticed I had a worn out ball joint on the bottom arm so I bought a new one and replace that today. Very little play in the front right now and it didn't help at all.

I've researched this issue on the web but mainly found things about this happening on Rangers and on the rear. I still have the original axle on the other side. Maybe the new axle is a little long and is being pushed out by the other axle? Should there be a space inside the diff between the two axles? I can't tell if they are touching or not.

Any suggestions? I really need the machine running - duck season is getting ready to break loose!

Thanks,

CMDux
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 03:50 PM

How many miles you got on the machine?
Unless there's something wrong with the axle (too short?), it sounds like the output hub (#2) is worn out in the differential.
Are you cleaning the splines out good with a wire brush before installing the axle? If the old axle wallowed around for long with dirt and grit in there it has worn the splines and retaining ring groove so its not a tight fit anymore. The original axle on the other side is probably still rusted in place and very tight.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

1,339 miles on it. I checked the inside of the diff and it seems to be clean. Could the axle on the other side be knocking the new one out? Is there space between the two axles inside the diff or do they touch? This new axle only "plunges" on the motor side, not at the wheel. Is there an axle available that moves at both joints? Thanks for the response and any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 02:06 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
No there is not space in between the front axles. It's solid. For give be for not knowing the technical term. The outbput hubs of the diffs are only open on the outside for the cv axles to be installed. The rear diff is a different design. It which the hub your installing the cv axle into has space.

Have you tried lining up the original cv axle with the new cv axle to make sure they are the same length? The inner cv axle has a larger cup for the bearings / joint to move so that's why you notice it more. I've only disassembled inner boots not out boots so I don't know how the outter cv is designed.

You could also swap the snap ring from the original cv axle over to the new one and see if that helps?

But to me, it seems like the axle is a different length than your original unit so that's why you are having the problem.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 04:34 AM
Premium Member

That's where I would start, checking if the Rhino is dimensionally the same as the OEM.

2011 Sportsman® 800 EFI
GURU front brush guard
GURU rear brush guard
Polaris front lock n ride cargo box
Polaris rear rack extender
Warn RT 3.0 winch w/amsteel synthetic line
Viper aluminum haus fairlead
Polaris front spring adjusters
Ricochet a-arm guards
Ricochet full frame skid plate
ITP T-7 beadlock 14" w/OMF inner rim guards
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x9 front
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x11 rear
QSC clutch kit
EPI HD springs front n rear
ODI rogue 130mm grips
Ultraseal commercial grade tire sealant (front)
Highlifter tire sealant (rear)
CTEK 3300 battery maintainer
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
ROTOPAX 1gal. + 2gal. gasoline can
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Rigid Industries E-Series 10" flood
Walker Evans struts
NGK Iridium's (2,500 miles on Champion's and they looked great!)
Odyssey Extreme battery PC545

2018 Sportsman® 570-T
2019 Aluma® A8818
2020 Outlander® 1000R XXC (on order, ETA mid-Sept)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I did pull the old busted OEM axle out of the trash and grab the split ring off it and try it but it did the same thing. One thing SuperATV says about the Rhino is that on some 850s, due to variances in the hubs, light grinding on the hub may be necessary. I noticed some very slight wear on the paint on the new axle, just from spinning the tire after reassembly. Not sure if that would be causing the issue somehow? I don't think so but I'm pretty new to this stuff. This is the second new axle I've tried, both Rhinos. I'm not sure where the find the exact dimensions but I'll start looking for that today.

I think I'll end up pulling the other side and see if that is somehow related. Then swap the old axle from the left to the right and see if I still have the problem. That should tell me if it's the axle or something else.

If I end up needed a different new axle, and it can't be a Rhino, what should I go with?

Thank you again for the help.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 04:50 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
When you pulled it out of the trash did you check to see if they are the same length???

2018 Sportsman Touring 850 SP
Delivery 12/22/2017.
Polaris 3500 winch.
Cabela's Deluxe ATV Cover, size XXL.
Polaris handguards and mount.
Guru CTR1 with middle mesh and CF3. Ordered 12/22/17. Rec’d 1/26. Installed 2/4 without lower bolts.
IB HDPE skids. Shipped 1/9. Rec'd 1/11. Installed 1/14.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 05:30 AM
Premium Member

Exactly compare the broken OEM to the Rhino, side by side. Although that might be difficult seeing that the original is broken.

Now fellas I'm having a hard time understanding what's happening here. The axle is fixed in place on the outboard/wheel side via the axle nut. On the inboard/diff side there is a snap ring that helps hold the axle in the diff. So on the inboard side the axle is supposed to have play or slide laterally to compensate for suspension travel and turning radius. Now is the axle completely pulling out of the diff or is it pulling out of the female splines of the diff or is it simply just pulling past the snap ring seat?

2011 Sportsman® 800 EFI
GURU front brush guard
GURU rear brush guard
Polaris front lock n ride cargo box
Polaris rear rack extender
Warn RT 3.0 winch w/amsteel synthetic line
Viper aluminum haus fairlead
Polaris front spring adjusters
Ricochet a-arm guards
Ricochet full frame skid plate
ITP T-7 beadlock 14" w/OMF inner rim guards
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x9 front
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x11 rear
QSC clutch kit
EPI HD springs front n rear
ODI rogue 130mm grips
Ultraseal commercial grade tire sealant (front)
Highlifter tire sealant (rear)
CTEK 3300 battery maintainer
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
ROTOPAX 1gal. + 2gal. gasoline can
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Rigid Industries E-Series 10" flood
Walker Evans struts
NGK Iridium's (2,500 miles on Champion's and they looked great!)
Odyssey Extreme battery PC545

2018 Sportsman® 570-T
2019 Aluma® A8818
2020 Outlander® 1000R XXC (on order, ETA mid-Sept)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Couldn't really check the length of the old vs new since the old came apart completely at the wheel. The length of the splines and the slot for the split ring seemed to line up though. It is pulling out past the split-ring slot. Not all the way out by itself, but it will come all the way out if I pull on it by hand. Seems like it would be a matter of time before it just fell out of the diff if the split-ring is not seated in the groove. It seems like when the split ring is seated, I don't have any more play towards or away from the diff.

I'm having trouble finding the exact dimensions of the axles but I did notice an issue with the part numbers. On the SuperATV website, it says the axle I have is for 2009 (and newer) Sportsman XP EPS and replaces OEM Part Number 1332440. I just checked with a dealer and the OEM part number should be 1332873 or 1332838. The 1332440 part number refers to a RZR axle. I talked to SuperATV about that today too. They are checking on that now and I'm waiting on a call back. It could just be a typo on their website and I have the correct axle or maybe I don't have the right axle.

Thanks again for the help. Greatly appreciated.
Doc8404 likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 02:33 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
There are supposed to be washers on the outboard hub under the axle nut. Are you installing them? Just wondering if the washers were not there, and you tighten the nut down to tight it could pull on the axle assembly possibly putting enough pressure to pull it out of the diff? Just a thought...
Doc8404 likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode