Polaris ATV Forum banner

Slipping Clutch? Please Help

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  polman500 
#1 ·
Hi, I just recently purchased a good used 2000 Xpedition 425 4x4. I have only used it a few times with no problems. The other day I hooked up my pull behind mower to clear a field and all seemed to go well. I put it away and havent run it since. Now, I pulled it out to run down the road and it seems like there is something slipping in the transmission or clutch. It will take off in first decent, but once I shift to 2nd and so on I can tell a noticable "slip". The acceleration of the bike is not what it should be. When I first got it I could run down my road at 50-55 easy, now it wouldnt get up to speed at all. The engine will rev up but the acceleration isnt representative of what it should be. I have been searching for hours to find forums or other discussions on the web about other people with this issue and have had no luck. Can anyone help with this issue? It is a 5 speed manual shift but it has the ez shift trans so no clutch. I know I shouldnt pull a mower with this, but one time for maybe an hour would trash the tranny? The mower is a small Swisher which isnt too big. I will add that I am a big guy (350lbs) so could that have something to do with it? I appreciate any help. thanks

#3 ·
Thanks.

Ok, after some research I have found some diagrams of the clutch and I am going to see if I cant remove the clutch housing cover to see if I cant find the problem. I am by no means a tech, but I am pretty mechanical and have no issues digging into the problem. I assume once i get the cover off the problem should be relatively obvious, at least I am hoping so. But can anyone give me an idea of what I would be looking for? Again, I assume I will be looking for shavings and chunks of metal, and some ground down teeth, but REALLY have no idea. I am still really only assuming the problem is the clutch, I figure if not the clutch it will be the rear end. Anyway, any help will be appreciated. thanks

#4 · (Edited)
Given the age of the machine you may need a set of clutch disks. It's the 6 fiber disks listed as #3 in the microfiche. You probably won't be able to actually see anything wrong. You have to measure the thickness to tell if they're worn beyond service tolerances.
Have you changed oil lately? One thing that can cause your type of clutch to slip is the use of regular automotive type motor oil. Todays auto oils have anti friction additives that can cause wet clutches to slip. If you think that is the problem, you may be able to take them out and clean them well with brake cleaner. You can then reassemble and refill with either a motorcycle oil designed for use with wet clutches or many people are using diesel oil such as Rotella (very reasonably priced at walmart). These oils do not contain the additives.
Good luck!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.