500 sportsman 2002 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

500 sportsman 2002

hey guys im pretty much at my wits end with my atv last fall i problems starting it, so i had the cdi box replaced with an aftermarket off the shelf one. once it was changed the bike started right away, but the key wouldnt shut it off so i had to choke it to kill it. now this spring the started will spin but wont turn the atv over... its gunna cost to much to just start changing parts if anyone has any advice i would be greatful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

last thing you want to do is just start replacing parts. if the starting is just spinning, it prob needs a rebuild. your local polaris shop should be able to do. more then likely it only needs a new brush set, about $70. if you brought your starting into the shop, it would probably be around $150 depending on labor time and rate, if it it was the burshes that are worn(very common for something this age) you dont need a lot of know how to pull the starter, it just takes time, but will save you probably a good hour in labor if you pull the starter and put it back in. its hard to say without actually hearing it or looking at it, the only way to know what is wrong for sure is to pull it apart, but thats my guess. is this the first time you have had starter problems? thats not to bad if it is, it is at that age where parts that are supposed to wear are going to fail

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 03:54 AM

starter prob

If your starter is turning it is probably your bendix.Your starter turns the bendix which then throws out and engages your flywheel.It is in behind pull starter and easy to remove,if any moisture got in it can sieze it up so it doesn't throw out properly.Some times u can remove free it up lube it and put back, i just replaced mine for 85 bucks. best of luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 10:18 AM

How do you remove the starter?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 04:02 AM

starter

from clutch cover side just above cover on top of motor 2 bolts hold starter on once bolts are out starter will slide out, might need a little push from other side with wooden dowel and tap with hammer.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 04:19 AM

Excellent! Thank you!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode