Where to begin on my 2000 Sporstman 500? - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Where to begin on my 2000 Sporstman 500?

Hello folks. I introduced myself over in the new member forum but let me just get right down to it.

I bought a used 2000 Sporstman today that i have no idea on how many miles or hours are on it. I looked it over as well as i could drove it around and everything seemed fine. I could not really verify if the AWD worked or not but i was told it did. My only concern that if the odometer/speedometer pod is not working how does the on demand AWD button still work? or should it? Does it go through the pod? I guess that question is kind of less important than some of my following.

I just do not want to use this thing till i go through some maintenance so i know what i have done and have crossed off the list. One thing i noticed after trailering for approx 2 hrs at 70 mi/hr is that when i got home and started bike there seems to be a ticking noise at idle and even under higher rpm's. Seems to me to sound like sticky valves or unlubricated valves type sound. So i checked the oil stick and i can smell a bit of gas in the oil. I read that trailering the bike for a long period can put pressure on the gas tank and can force some fuel into the cylinder which, if enough got in, would cause the oil to not be able to do its job in lubricating the cylinder walls properly.

With that said i would like some of your suggestions on where i should begin with regards to starting my maintenance procedures.

I guess the first thing i should do is get a proper owners manual. Any links?

May i also say that this bike was "modified". It has 28" LTP mud lites with 2" lift kit (hockey pucks),spacers on front tires to widen stance, aftermarket clutch(no engine braking anymore), jet kit, etc. It was basically set up as a pulling machine. I want it for some playing but also for some medium to heavy yard work (trees, plowing, etc) This bike steers like a bulldozer. you would be exhausted after 20 mins. I am thinking about selling the tires and rims and putting the stocks back on as they are in great shape. How hard would it be to remove the lift kit?

I got so many questions but i will start with some of the easy ones. Getting all my fluids, plugs, filters changed and go from there. Any help or suggestions from any of you would help a new owner a long way. I know for a fact i will become obsessed with this thing and working on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 04:00 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

If you trailered the bike and it has a fuel valve and it was not turned off during the trailer ride you have let gas go from the carb into the cylinder and down in the crankcase. If this is the case do not run the bike and change the oil immediately. You always trailer a bike with a fuel valve with it in the off position. Bouncing on the trailer causes the carb float to overfill the bowl and gas enters the intake and into the cylinder.

Yes I believe your AWD will work with a bad pod display.

TBS

2009 Sportsman 550 XP EPS
Polaris Lock n Ride Hard Case
Rotopax Fuel Tank
ATV Guru Front Brush Guard
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply. I changed all the oil out in reservoir and crankcase, new filter. I cannot get that air sucking sound to prove that the oil pump is primed. i clamped it for a good minute with no go after 3 tries. My engine is still making that ticking noise which sounds to be right in the head. makes me worry. I dont want to run it till i can verify i am getting oil through the pump. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I use a pair of needle nose pliers on the hose about an 1 1/2 from the tank.

Verify the position of the slit on the hose and be sure your clamping off below it. It is not a very loud sound. It needs to be real quiet when you release the hose to hear the air going back in through the hose. Hope that helps...

TBS

Rotopax Fuel Tank
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Thank You Trail. Your detailed instructions got me on track. Has a great sucking air sound. That is good to know. sad thing is that i am still having that ticking noise at all rpms. Something in the head is hitting something else. Valve, rod, rings, who knows...kinda scares me. Not sure if i should be using it or not. I really hope i dont need to replace any valves, rings, rods, pistons, etc...ugghhh.....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 03:30 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Glad I was able to help.
If you have a tapping sound it is most like the valve adjustment is off. Check your valve lash. That is a very easy fix. If you have a repair manual it will tell you how. If not let me know and I will get it for you.

TBS

Rotopax Fuel Tank
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Thats exactly the sound I think I am hearing. Always at the top of the cycle, so it must be the valves. I have a service manual. I am having trouble finding where i get the steps to adjust this as you said. I will dig deeper. When you say easy, what level of easy we talking about, lol? Like taking the head off or adjusting timing screws?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode