Tranmission winning noise - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Tranmission winning noise

I have a 2002 Sportsman 400. I hear a loud winning noise when I let off the throttle all the way until I come to s stop (2wd or 4wd). It sounds like it's coming from the transmission .

If I lift all 4 wheels off the ground I give it throttle I do not hear the noise at all. Thinking that it only does it when it's under a load.

Any ideas?

Last edited by forrest411; 06-04-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

I figured I would take off the clutch cover to check out the belt. The belt is worn, but would that cause the noise? I drained the trans fluid and there was the right amount of fluid in it. It was dirty, but didn't smell burnt. Also, I drove it and shifted it into neutral while doing about 20 and let it roll to a stop and there was no noise. But if I leave it in gear it makes the noise. Any advice of where to go from here would be great.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

That noise you are hearing is more than likely the tranny backshifting. Ive seen threads on this topic before. My machine does the same thing when im slowing down from high speeds. I havent checked my belt for problems because i have absolutely no slip issues and real good throttle response which are the two biggest complaints with a worn belt. Ive learned to live with the chorus of sounds coming from my sportsman. in fact if it was completely quiet id be worried!! Does your bike "slip" when accelerating? When you inspected the belt did you also inspect the sheaves? Is the noise youre hearing a whistling jet turbine kinda sound? lol Cant explain it any other way. If it sounds like that you should be just fine.

2005 Polaris Sportsman 700 Twin - Green -
27" Bear Claws StI HD alloy rims
Uni air filter
Kolpin rear Storage w/cooler
Front Brushguard
Rear Brushguard
3 Headlight Mod
2up Footpegs
Pure Polaris Handguards
Stage 1 Dynojet kit

1998 Kawasaki Bayou 220 Yard mule
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

I really can't say that it is slipping. But the belt has cracks in every groove so I figured it can't hurt to change it out. I was surprised at how easy the belt came off. I curious to compare the old with the new one.

As for the winning. Everything does seem to be working right, other than the noise. It definatly sounds like it's coming from the transmission ans since it doesn't do it when I throw it in neutral, I'm thinking you could be right. Although I would have never thought it would make this noise so loud. If I bought this new and it sounded like this, it would have gone back for sure.

Thanks for the response
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Not sure what's causing your noise but like what was said above , they are noisy bikes! I've had mine for a few months now and because it's 10 years old, it seems normal.
I just changed the belt also,they do come off pretty easy. Putting it on is a little harder though. The new belt was quite a bit wider than the one I took off. Be sure to use some compressed air on the primary clutch in all the voids. You will be amazed at how much "belt dust" comes out.

Kevin
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice about blowing it out. I didn't think about that.

Should I take a green scotchbrite pad to the clutch sides?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:40 PM
ATV Enthusiast

My 97 SPM500 whined more than my 05 SPM500HO does but they both whined. What helped on my 05 was switching lube to Redline MT90, that seemed to quiet the tranny.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest411 View Post
Thanks for the advice about blowing it out. I didn't think about that.

Should I take a green scotchbrite pad to the clutch sides?
Not sure about using scotchbrite pads on the sheaves. Wipe it down good after you blow the crap out of it. I'm hearing that if the sheaves are "shiny" ,the belt "could" be slipping.You can use that pad to dull them up a little I guess. You have to rub from the outer surface in towards the center. Not in the direction that the belt travels. If the belt works Ok , I would just leave it. Check the sheaves for any grooves or wear spots which would shorten the life of that expensive belt.

Kevin

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode