RZR 170 Help!!!! - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By latebird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Question RZR 170 Help!!!!

I really hope someone on here can help me out. My son has a 2011 RZR 170. We have had it for almonst a year and it has ran perfect. He is supposed to be going on a ride with his Gradfather later this week, and low and behold now it's acting up. It started a few days ago stumbing at anything over about 1/4 throttle. I figured maybe the plug was bad so I replaced it today, but it's still stumbling. It idles fine, and runs fine as long as you don't try to gas it. I may have to take it to a dealer, but I was hoping sombody on here could tell me were to start. It almost acts like it's starving for fuel. I know the plug is good, and the fuel is fresh. This just started out of the blue. One thing I noticed today was quite a bit of oil in the airbox. I'm told this is common, but could that have caused a problem with the carb? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brad

Last edited by kysportsman; 06-26-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Has this it sat for any long periods of time lately?

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Not really. No more then a couple of weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

You may just start by running some seafoam mixed in with the gas, and try to stumble through an entire tank of treated gas (maybe more, maybe less) that way. A couple weeks is long enough for untreated gas to start to turn into gel inside some parts of the carb, such as the jet passageways. The smaller the amount of fuel (i.e. jets, bowl, etc), the faster it goes bad. That is if you didnt treat the gas with a stabilizer before that. I would also check the airbox to make sure the airfilter is somewhat clean, and there is no debris or anything inside restricting air flow. Airboxs are a prime choice for rodents to make nests in, just another thought.

It is something simple, cheap, and easy to do, and may be all that the machine needs.

I am unfamiliar with oil in the airbox issues on these machines. I will have to do some looking into on that part.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 03:26 PM

I have a 2016 rzr 170. it went on its side and after that has been hard to start. We rebuilt the carb but it is still hard to start it just turns over and if you apply the throttle it leaks gas. any idea of what is going on
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 09:21 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

It's fuel injected - need to find out where the fuel is leaking from - it may be the cause of hard starting or the valves may just need adjusted

You should have started a new thread for better response.
sportsmandan likes this.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode