Battery Dying - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Battery Dying

Ok- I normally dont post on this stuff but I'm desperate for an answer that doesnt cost me an arm and a leg.

So I have a 2017 Polaris sport. I bought it just over a year ago and it has 125 miles on it and 10.5 hours of ride time.

Recently the battery died while my husband was out riding. We assumed it was the battery and purchased a new one. Immediately following this we went out for a ride and the battery died again. This time it died mid ride and we were forced to wait for the battery to charge itself up before we could continue.

In the process of getting it back home it died another 2 times while being driven. Something is draining the battery while it's being driven.

Can someone please point me in the right direction as far as where to start looking for the problem? The local repair shop wants 65 to diagnose plus repairs and quite frankly I dont have that money at the moment. The repair guy suggested it could be a converter(?) And I need someone to give me ideas on what to do.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 02:23 PM

I am not an expert on such a situation but have experienced a similar situation recently and have remedied my issue. Have you added anything to your machine? A winch, light bar or anything else that may draw power? I added a winch and began experiencing the issue. The remedy was to clean up the starter solenoid and all the connections from the winch to the battery. I also added dialectric grease to each connection and made sure that the battery was connected properly. Almost forgot I also found two wires that had the sheathing worn and taped them up so that they would not ground out. The who process took about an hour to do and has resolved our battery drain issue. Hope this helps and best of luck troubleshooting.
A multimeter can help you find draws on your battery, there are videos on youtube on how to identify such battery draws with a multimeter.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 02:47 PM

ATVs aren't equipped with alternators, but they are equipped with stators and regulators. If your battery dies while driving, it means it's not charging. I would check the two components.

It's odd for a year old bike to experience this kind of issue. They can run for years without charging system issues.

Sportsman 570 2018
2500lbs Polaris Winch
9" LED light bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:01 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Bad voltage regulator!!!!

2011 Sportsman® 800 EFI
GURU front brush guard
GURU rear brush guard
Polaris front lock n ride cargo box
Polaris rear rack extender
Warn RT 3.0 winch w/amsteel synthetic line
Viper aluminum haus fairlead
Polaris front spring adjusters
Ricochet a-arm guards
Ricochet full frame skid plate
ITP T-7 beadlock 14" w/OMF inner rim guards
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x9 front
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x11 rear
QSC clutch kit
EPI HD springs front n rear
ODI rogue 130mm grips
Ultraseal commercial grade tire sealant (front)
Highlifter tire sealant (rear)
CTEK 3300 battery maintainer
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
ROTOPAX 1gal. + 2gal. gasoline can
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Rigid Industries E-Series 10" flood
Walker Evans struts
NGK Iridium's (2,500 miles on Champion's and they looked great!)
Odyssey Extreme battery PC545

2018 Sportsman® 570-T
2019 Aluma® A8818
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp405 View Post
Bad voltage regulator!!!!
is there any way I can check that at home?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 11:24 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduskator View Post
ATVs aren't equipped with alternators, but they are equipped with stators and regulators. If your battery dies while driving, it means it's not charging. I would check the two components.

It's odd for a year old bike to experience this kind of issue. They can run for years without charging system issues.
@eduskator - Sorry to inform you, but the stator is the stationery part of the alternator and the regulator is part of the rectifier. The rec/reg changes AC into DC and regulates the output to 14.8 volts DC.

You are right, probably one of the two units failed - both can be tested. All you need is a multi-meter and the service manual. A little time reading to understand the mechanics involved and some time testing to determine which (if not both) has failed.

The majority of failures are caused by overloading - just running with a weak battery can cause a failure. Make sure the battery is holding a full charge before operating for an extended period of time. If the battery will not hold a full charge, replace it before the charging system is damaged.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Read the voltage at the battery terminals with the machine running at 3,000rpm. It should be between 13.5-14.5VDC.

2011 Sportsman® 800 EFI
GURU front brush guard
GURU rear brush guard
Polaris front lock n ride cargo box
Polaris rear rack extender
Warn RT 3.0 winch w/amsteel synthetic line
Viper aluminum haus fairlead
Polaris front spring adjusters
Ricochet a-arm guards
Ricochet full frame skid plate
ITP T-7 beadlock 14" w/OMF inner rim guards
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x9 front
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x11 rear
QSC clutch kit
EPI HD springs front n rear
ODI rogue 130mm grips
Ultraseal commercial grade tire sealant (front)
Highlifter tire sealant (rear)
CTEK 3300 battery maintainer
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
ROTOPAX 1gal. + 2gal. gasoline can
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Rigid Industries E-Series 10" flood
Walker Evans struts
NGK Iridium's (2,500 miles on Champion's and they looked great!)
Odyssey Extreme battery PC545

2018 Sportsman® 570-T
2019 Aluma® A8818
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 05:12 AM

I just checked mine at idle and I was getting 14.3 volts. I'd charge the battery to full charge and do the simple test with multi-meter while running and if you're getting anything below 13v then you have a charging issue.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 04:06 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorngirl24 View Post
O This time it died mid ride and we were forced to wait for the battery to charge itself up before we could continue.

!
What do you mean wait for it to charge? Batteries don't charge if not running, and you may need to be over a certain RPM.

I would check connections, being it is so new. Though it should run off the charging system I would think. Though I have heard of newer vehicles needing a battery.

One thing that is nice to have is a DC clamp on, they have come down in price. Though at idle you may be drawing off battery, but as you rev polarity should flip and go into battery.

Doesn't any one find it hard to believe a one year old machine could have batter volt reg or stator? Even a bad battery at one year is hard to believe, unless it was cheapo.

That is why I would check connections.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 04:10 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

When you say wait for it to charge. Is it overheating or breaker/relay cutting out and turning machine off? Then after period of time cools, and resets? Only reason I am asking, is cause you said wait for it charge.

Low batteries often turn slowly or click. They are not going to charge themselves unless you jump start it with something.

As said you need a good meter that can read decimals. Should be around 12.7 Dc when the battery has sat for a few hours and close to 14.4 when revved up. After that you need to measure AC from stator, and find out how many volts AC per 1000 RPM it should be. At that point you if you have never done it going to dealer may be good.

I am also not afraid to throw parts at things. But being it is so new, it seems a waste. I don't mind doing it with old stuff.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode