O1 Sportsman charging problem - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to headusher
O1 Sportsman charging problem

I think I know the answer but need verification from someone who knows the Sportsman charging system. The battery is charging intermittently. I've been watching this process over the past few months. What I'm seeing is that when the ATV gets hot (after hours of riding - especially during these hot days) the battery voltage drops dramatically. On 2 occassions it was low enough that the radiator over heated because the fan wouldn't run fast enough.

However after charging the (new) battery each time I get a 14-15 volt charge when the ATV is cool & I rev up the engine. I read that the voltage regulator is located somewhere near the radiator & may not work properly when it get hot. Haven't located the regulator yet. I also understand there is a relocation kit for the regulator that I haven't been able to find yet.

Am I on the right track? Should I replace the regulator? Any help will be appreciated. Right now I monitor the Neutral & Reverse lights when riding and when I see them starting to dim I head back to the garage for a charge if needed!! After an hour ride yesterday evening the battery was still over 12 volts when I got back so the system appeared to be charging.

headusher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I'm having a similar issue with my brother's old 400; when I check it, its charging as advertised, but after a long ride on a hot day, the battery is down below 12 volts. Everything checks out and both the battery and regulator are less than a few months old. By the way, the regulator should be mounted somewhere near the front of the radiator.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Thanks for your input. Doesn't make me feel too good, LOL. Once I find the regulator I'll begin a thorough check of the wires back to the battery just to make sure there are no disconnects or breaks.

headusher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Found the regualtor and when I went to check the voltage on the red/blk wires the male part of the red wire boke off in the connector. I'm assuming it was hanging on by a thread causing the interimittent charging. I either need to find a replacement connector end or replace the regulator altogether. First I need to figure out how to get access to the screws that mount the regulator.

headusher
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I would lean towards that bad wire being your problem; I would personally repair the wire first and then see if the charging system works with the wire repaired, before buying a new regulator.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Fixed the connector on the regulator and the battery is now charging anywhere from 13-14.5 volts depending on the speed of the motor. Haven't been out long enough to see if heat will affect the regulator yet but all indications show that the connector was the problem. Also cleaned a lot of crap from inbetween the radiator coils that I couldn't see until I took the front cover & deck off the ATV. Also found a mouse or rats nest under the hood and a wire that had the insulation chewed off. Never know what you will find when you start digging, LOL.

The only issue I have left is that when shifting into reverse the indicator will sometimes show it's in Neutral and the reverse limiter doesn't engage. Hopefully it's just an adjustment of the linkgage. If not a new shifter box may be in my future. Other than this the machine appears to be working just fine.

Hope this information helps someone else. By the way I couldn't tell there was a problem with the regulator connector until I unplugged the wire.

headusher
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

UPDATE '01 Sportsman charging problem

Need some advice. Here's what I'm seeing

When I first start up the ATV I get the 13-14.5 charging volts across the battery as stated above. Over the weekend I check the voltage after approx 2 hours of riding and only was getting about 11.75 volts across the battery. No increase in voltage when revving up the engine. I let it cool down for about an hour an measured again - got up to 12.75 volts when revving the engine. The next morning when the ATV was cooled down I was getting the 13-14.5 volts once again when revving the engine. Appears to have something to do with heat so I am thinking the voltage regulator should be replaced. Anyone out there think this is the correct solution? Any other tests I should be doing?

headusher
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Yes, it seems heat related.

Try giving the regulator a quick cool down with a couple of cups of ice water. See if that causes the voltage output to perk back up quickly. If so, yep, its the regulator.

2007 Sportsman 800
1500 miles, mostly at Hatfield-McCoy trails, WVa.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

The regulator sounds like it is out of spec's when hot; replace it and all should be normal again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode