New Member, a few questions - Page 4 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workmore View Post
Iím sure a fuel additive once in a while would help. The dealer told me I should be running 91 octane in it, preferably 93 octane.
AHHH...I did not know that either. I'm learning all kinds of stuff here. 5 gallons of 93 every couple of month seems well worth it to me. I'll definitely make the switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:00 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
For getting off those stains, try S1000 cleaning spray, use it on my Harley, works great on the HL 1000 for getting mud stains of the cases. Spray it on, wait, spray it off, works great.
tim5779 likes this.

must modify
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:04 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

From the owners manual:

Use either leaded or unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump octane number of 87 = (R + M/2) octane. Do not use fuel with ethanol content greater than 10 percent, such as E-85 fuel.

You don''t need 93 octane, but most high octane fuels contain less ethanol than the lower grades. Just try to get non-ethanol fuel whenever possible. I was using VP Racing SEF (94 octane) in my snow blower, generators, but we got a new Casey's General Store and they have one pump of 91 octane ethanol free fuel, so I no longer have to drive 20 miles for ethanol free pump gas or use SEF. Look around - you might have a station near you with alcohol free gas.
SlowRoller and tim5779 like this.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by latebird View Post
From the owners manual:

Use either leaded or unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump octane number of 87 = (R + M/2) octane. Do not use fuel with ethanol content greater than 10 percent, such as E-85 fuel.

You don''t need 93 octane, but most high octane fuels contain less ethanol than the lower grades. Just try to get non-ethanol fuel whenever possible. I was using VP Racing SEF (94 octane) in my snow blower, generators, but we got a new Casey's General Store and they have one pump of 91 octane ethanol free fuel, so I no longer have to drive 20 miles for ethanol free pump gas or use SEF. Look around - you might have a station near you with alcohol free gas.
Very True! I used to run ethanol free in ALL of my small engines. Country Mark here in Indy used to be ethanol free. They recently changed that, and there is no Ethanol free near me now, at least, not that I have been able to find. I now just put "Stabil" in all of my small engines and it's ALMOST as good as ethanol free. What makes ethanol so harmful to engines is the fact that it's only stable for about 30 days. After that the ethanol begins to evaporate, creating moisture, sludge, all kinds of damaging stuff to an engine. It's typically ok in our cars because we all drive so much, we never hit that 30 day mark. But most small engines have gas that sits in them for long periods of time, so "Stabil" will help combat that.
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:38 AM

I ride the 570 often even through winter and even buying 91 or 93 as much as I need for it isn’t that bad. I don’t have any ethenol free stations near me and buying 87 only to put additives in it will cost more.

I bought it used this past summer and I suspect the owner knew of the condition when he sold it. Once this winter hit it became very obvious it needed shop time

It was $540 to have the head removed and the valves cleaned, so higher octane it is. Great fourwheeler other than that, I work it often and I does well
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:15 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Better than Stabil is Ethanol Equalizer by Liquid Performance

Check it out the video here http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZcVZcTBiPI

The products they test against are Startron, Stabil and Seafoam - none of those products will emulsify water. Engine oil contains emulsifiers and given a period of time water added to engine oil will be emulsified and the oil becomes a gooey mixture - the color of the mixture depends on the color of the dye in the oil. Oil may emulsify with water, but most oils will not mix with alcohol and that becomes a separate problem.

The water test is accurate. Alcohol is hydrophilic and will attract water. Gasoline is hydrophobic and floats on top of water - when you mix alcohol with gas then add water, the water causes the alcohol to separate from the gas. A gallon of gas only needs .4% water to get the alcohol to separate from the gas. I have tested this product and when you have treated ethanol fuel with this product you can add 10% water to a gallon of gas it will not separate. The alcohol stays emulsified within the fuel and the added water simply goes to the bottom of the container and lays there.

Now, on the 'carbon' removal; I worked in a plant where we inked metal products - the ink was actually a dye and not an ink - it can be removed with acetone (finger nail polish remover). I an not impressed with this demonstration. You can remove carbon deposits from an engine with water injection and its not necessary on an efficiently running engine.

I took the test a step further and mixed gas, water and Ethanol Equalizer in proportionate amounts to simulate fuel in a fuel tank and performed the same test with basically the same results, but I prefer to simply buy ethanol free fuel.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

I'll check out that ethanol equilaizer.

Update on the Bosh Chemical Rust Remover. So far I've tried CLR, and a vinegar/dawn mixture. Both worked but it took ALOT of scrubbing. I also used a wire brush which worked great but that's not the best idea on aluminum. I also dont know if the housing are anodized or not, so I dont want to mess that up either. Anyway, so tonight I sprayed on the Bosh (it actually claims to be a degreaser as well) gave it 10 mins to soak, and just for the hell of it sprayed it again...let it soak for 10 more mins. After that the aluminum literally whiped clean with a shop towel. But that would take forever so now that it seems the stains are "lifted" from the surface, I'm guessing the power washer will whisk it right away. I'm so ready to get this damn thing clean and put back together!
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Finally done. Before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190303_165542_1552196491030.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	116525   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190309_203508_1552196506929.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	116527  
FPD218 and gearheadesw1 like this.
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:10 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
How about their fuel system cleaner?

I usually run 91 octane because it is ethanol free and takes longer to breakdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latebird View Post
Better than Stabil is Ethanol Equalizer by Liquid Performance

Check it out the video here http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZcVZcTBiPI

The products they test against are Startron, Stabil and Seafoam - none of those products will emulsify water. Engine oil contains emulsifiers and given a period of time water added to engine oil will be emulsified and the oil becomes a gooey mixture - the color of the mixture depends on the color of the dye in the oil. Oil may emulsify with water, but most oils will not mix with alcohol and that becomes a separate problem.

The water test is accurate. Alcohol is hydrophilic and will attract water. Gasoline is hydrophobic and floats on top of water - when you mix alcohol with gas then add water, the water causes the alcohol to separate from the gas. A gallon of gas only needs .4% water to get the alcohol to separate from the gas. I have tested this product and when you have treated ethanol fuel with this product you can add 10% water to a gallon of gas it will not separate. The alcohol stays emulsified within the fuel and the added water simply goes to the bottom of the container and lays there.

Now, on the 'carbon' removal; I worked in a plant where we inked metal products - the ink was actually a dye and not an ink - it can be removed with acetone (finger nail polish remover). I an not impressed with this demonstration. You can remove carbon deposits from an engine with water injection and its not necessary on an efficiently running engine.

I took the test a step further and mixed gas, water and Ethanol Equalizer in proportionate amounts to simulate fuel in a fuel tank and performed the same test with basically the same results, but I prefer to simply buy ethanol free fuel.

2018 Sportsman Touring 850 SP
Delivery 12/22/2017.
Polaris 3500 winch.
Cabela's Deluxe ATV Cover, size XXL.
Polaris handguards and mount.
Guru CTR1 with middle mesh and CF3. Ordered 12/22/17. Recíd 1/26. Installed 2/4 without lower bolts.
IB HDPE skids. Shipped 1/9. Rec'd 1/11. Installed 1/14.
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:24 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim5779 View Post
Finally done. Before and after.

AWESOME job Tim...... Where did you get the wrap?

JUNE 2017 & SEPTEMBER 2018 POLARIS FORUM ATV OF THE MONTH WINNER

2019 Sportsman 850 SP Premium

Removed all Warning Decals
3500# Polaris Winch W/Synthetic Rope
Winch Stopper Cable Line Saver
ATV-GURU.COM Front and Rear Bumpers
2" Receiver in Front Bumper
Kenda K587 HTR Bear Claws 26X9X14 & 26X11X14
Ultimate Series Windshield Fairing, Mid & Low Height Windshield
New Style Polaris Lock & Ride Rear Storage Box
Garmin GPS176C, Ram Mount
Polaris Rear View Mirrors
4" Front Rack Extender
Center Brake/Tail Light LED
Rear LED work lights/strobes

Built on March 27 2019
Purchased New April 13 2019 0.1 Hr .2 Mi
Power Sports Abrams, Wi

SOLD
2006 Sportsman 800 EFI Twin
Purchased new to me on Aug 08 2016 97Hr's 811Mi
Sold Apr 07 2019 231 Hr 3126 Mi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=k6Nlb_qRoeg

"I am the majority!"

*WEAR A HELMET, I'M LIVING PROOF THEY WORK!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode