2011 Sportsman 500 ho cutting in and out - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

2011 Sportsman 500 ho cutting in and out

Hi there, I have a 2011 sportsman 500 with odd symptoms, I’ve had this atv since around 2014 and it’s ran fine up until about a year ago, ever since then I’ve been battling with an issue with it, and riding yesterday gave me the most clue and problems so far, my atv intermittently bogs and cuts out at 3/4 - wot around 45-55 mph but sometimes runs perfectly normal, yesterday if I held the throttle wide open for long enough “maybe 30 seconds to a minute” the atv would hold roughly 6300-6700 which has been the normal rpms for this wheeler depending on hills and what not, now while at peak rpm out of nowhere It’d drop to about 5600- for a few seconds then jump back up to 6300+ all while I’m never letting off the throttle, and as I keep on the throttle it will do as I said above a few more times then all the sudden the engine will completely lose power as if I hit the kill switch or key, then kick back in and out again a few times then it’ll just die, and after all that mess it seems to take a few seconds longer to start but it’ll start and run fine for a while, if I let off the throttle and get back on it while this is going on, it just pops and sputters, I’ve tried messing with my kill switch and reverse safety switch while it does this and nothing has fixed it, I’ve replaced every fuel / air related thing cleaned the carb, and put a new spark plug in it, another thing i noticed yesterday was 2 times I went through puddles “maybe quarter wheel height” pretty fast it sounded like my exhaust got louder for a few seconds up front then went away, it’s not loud any other time, and I don’t feel air leaking around the exhaust gasket when it’s running so I’m un sure about any of that, Im wondering if a cdi box or a coil could do create these problems, maybe the coil is getting to hot on high rpms and cutting spark?? Another note is the gauge cluster stays on during all of this , Please try to help me out with suggestions, if I find the solution it will be posted!!! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 05:49 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Check the diaphragm on top of the carb for holes and tears.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

I did check the slide and diaphragm when I had the carb apart and didn’t see anything suspicious, I’ve had other people say it’s the slide or something carb related as there guess, my air box snorkel is clear and I bought a new piece of foam that holds that away from the gas tank plastics, the only thing that would make me believe it’s a carb issue is I get popping when it does this if I let off the throttle and try to accelerate again, and when the power kick out and back in, it don’t back fire like If fuel was loading up in the cylinder, just sharp popping sounds, my friends behind me said it sounded like plastics snapping. maybe lean popping? Not enough fuel for combustion so when it Ignites it just pops?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:13 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Sounds like an ignition issue - try closing up the spark plug gap or a new spark plug - if no change try a new spark plug cap - if that doesn't help, then it might be a coil, stator or CDI box (usually in that order) - maybe just run it till it quits completely - that makes finding the culprit much easier

2006 Trailboss 330
2002 Sportsman 90
2005 TRX400EX (FOR SALE)
2003 LT-Z400 (needs engine work & is for sale)
2004 CRF250X
1971 Triumph 650 Bonneville (has 5 original miles)
1972 Triumph 650 Bonneville (undergoing restoration)
1979 Honda CBX (6 cylinder)
1970 Kawasaki G3SS 90cc Bushmaster
1976 Suzuki RE5 Rotary (not running & FOR SALE)
1981 Kawasaki KZ305-A
1981 Suzuki GS450T (undergoing repair & will be for sale when done)
1982 Kawasaki KZ750-H (FOR SALE)
1989 Honda VT1100C
2007 Vectrix VCTX Electric Scooter
1965 Montgomery Ward 3 1/2 HP Tecumseh Mini Bike
1970 Triumph T25 250cc Trailblazer
1968 Triumph 250cc Flat Tracker

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

I kinda agree it’s electrical because of how hit or miss the problem is, I just checked my pulser coil from the cdi wires white and white with red tracer, I’m getting around about 190 ohms is that a normal reading?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

My ignition coil is reading .8 ohms, Im thinking about getting an in-line spark checker and taking it for a ride and see if I lose spark when the problem happens, is it a good idea to run it with wot for a while with a spark checker Inline or could that burn some electronics up??
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

I’ve also heard that isolating the black wire to cdi eliminates all kill switches and safety switches Is that true? I unplugged my black wire but haven’t tried it yet
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

I took the cdi voltage regulator and the ignition coil off tonight, I pulled the spark cap off and put it back on the wire, as well as the wire at the coil itself, I’m going to clean all plugs and connections there and put it back together tomorrow but before I do does anyone have any suggestions on what to test?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode