One front wheel not driven - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

One front wheel not driven

Hey everybody, Iím new to this forum. Iíve had my 2000 Scramvler 400 4x4 for a year and a half or so now. A while back I was pulling my buddyís RZR out of some mud, and his winch rope ending up getting under my front left wheel and breaking the magnetic hub wires. No big deal, there was enough workable wire left to repair it. I got it fixed up and all was well until a couple weekends ago when a stick got in there and broke it again. I wasnít able to repair the wires this time. I ordered a OEM hub coil. I just got done replacing it. I followed service manual procedures, set the tolerance of the ring that goes around the coil to 2-3 thou, and put it back together. I tried to test it out though and that wheel still wonít spin in 4x4. Besides the coil being a dud out of the box, what else could be the issue? Thanks for your time everybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 05:48 AM
Premium Member

My manual shows that clearance to be 0.0-.001 You might have the armature plate too far away from the magnet. Test the magnet first though.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427x Wheels. QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

What is the procedure to test it? Would my tolerance being a little loose make it totally not work or just not work very well?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Update: I ohmed my coil wires. Either my multi meter is malfunctioning or I accidentally cut the wires during ring installation. With my multi meter on the buzzer function, it buzzes immediately. On the up to 200ohm function, I get 0. I also tightened up the clearance on the ring to the coil, that didnít help either. There was no pull on the clutch ring with the key and 4x4 on, and I could easily turn the clutch assembly by hand. I ordered another coil, itíll be here in a couple days. Hopefully it fixes my issue, I really want my 4x4 to work for my trip to Ride Royal Blue next weekend!

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:31 PM
Premium Member

Does the buzzer sound when there is a connection or when there isn't one. Mine makes noise only when there is a connection. So there should be continuity between the 2 wires, but not between either of them and ground. With just the switch on the coil wouldn't be activated. There are sensors that need 6% slippage at the rear wheels before the fronts activate. If you want to test the coil, provide a 12v source to the power side and a good ground on the other side.

I can look at my wiring diagrams if you want to. Don't have it in front of me.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Hers: 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427x Wheels. QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

My buzzer sounds with continuity. I also checked with my continuity light. I didnít think to check continuity to ground, I will do that next. This is the first Iím hearing of there being slippage sensors. With the quad running on jack stands, the moment I put it in gear the functioning front wheel starts turning with the rears. The seem locked together just by eye, but I honestly donít know for sure. Also, as I mentioned in my original post, the 4x4 worked perfectly before the first broken wire incident, and continued to work perfectly once I repaired them. Wishing I wouldíve realized there was lots of slack wire for the original coil tucked inside the loom and just repaired them again. :banging head:

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, the slippage thing is the On Demand part of the 4X4. Not sure how but it detects the difference between the rear wheel speed and the ground speed. That is why the testing is done with all four wheels off the ground....so the rears "spin" without any forward movement of the machine.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Ahh okay. Iíll check the ground continuity and Iíll put power to it before work tomorrow. Iím pretty much convinced the coil is bad or I screwed up though because it worked flawlessly before.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:43 AM

I'm going through issues with my '01 sportsman now. You should get an ohm reading when checking at the connector going to the coil. Power to the connector is only on when the key is on, awd is on and the gear selector in in drive.

In my case the right frt hub was dry, so I filled it with hub oil. The resultant goo was to slick to allow the Hilliard clutch to operate properly. Found out my coil has magnetism, just need to install new seals, clean everything up and put it back together.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

No continuity with ground, and the coil doesnít work when I put power to either wire. Mustíve just been a dud

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode