Engine will crank but wont turn over - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Engine will crank but wont turn over

2011 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI

So i was tiling some stuff the other day and i took a break and guess what the atv wont start. This is what i have done so far.
Checked battery, starter solenoid,Fuses, Wiring harnesses, Starter bendix. Fuel lines for fuel. Fixing to check fluid pressure as soon as i find a guage. However i dont believe thats an issue as squirting fuel into the spark plugs well doesnt seem to make it turn over.
Checked for spark and changed spark plugs as they appeared a little foul still no change.
I am not sure where to go from here.
Any and all suggestions welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Checked for codes and no codes come up.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Compression, fuel and air in the right amounts, spark and spark at the right time and you have a running engine - what don't you have?

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:41 AM

Did you CHECK for spark while you had the plugs out? Nothing else matters if you have no spark.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:33 AM
Premium Member

Location: Burr Oak in the summer and ride my motorcycle in FL durring the winter
Garage
I'm sorry but in my years of motorsports cranking results in the engine/motor turning over. So are you saying that the starter is cranking yet the motor is not turning over? If so it should be sounding like an electric motor running and the starter is not engaging on the crankshaft gear. It would more of a srarter gear problem then. Just my thoughts, and maybe it is my misunderstanding of what you are saying.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948boat View Post
I'm sorry but in my years of motorsports cranking results in the engine/motor turning over. So are you saying that the starter is cranking yet the motor is not turning over? If so it should be sounding like an electric motor running and the starter is not engaging on the crankshaft gear. It would more of a srarter gear problem then. Just my thoughts, and maybe it is my misunderstanding of what you are saying.
I think he's saying its cranking/the engine is turning but it won't start.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

That's correct so the starter engages and turns the fly wheel but the engine doesn't turn over/fire.
Checked for spark after removing the spark plugs and all looks good there. Fuel pressure at 40 psi. Will check compression today.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtx View Post
That's correct so the starter engages and turns the fly wheel but the engine doesn't turn over/fire.
Checked for spark after removing the spark plugs and all looks good there. Fuel pressure at 40 psi. Will check compression today.
Most folks use the phrase "doesn't turn over" to mean it won't crank. When the starter engages the flywheel and cranks the engine it turns over and over and over... but apparently yours doesn't ever actually start.
If you have spark and fuel pressure and it cranks good I'm not sure what else you'd check besides compression and timing?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

My apologies yes it cranks but doesn't start. So checked the compression and 200 on one side and 180 on the other. The thing that baffles me is what would cause it to suddenly die. It was working fine while I was using it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:35 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Timing? A sheared flywheel key will cause timing to be off and still have spark.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode