Anti freeze Polaris 2005 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Anti freeze Polaris 2005

Hello friends I have a 2005 polaris sportsman i need to know if i can put Anti freeze for cars on my atv 2005 I just clean up the radiator but I thought was the same Can you guys help thanks is my firs 2nd hand atv

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:28 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

You can put oil in your cooling system and it will cool, but it may not cool well. You can put pure water in the cooling system and it will cool better than oil, but the inside of the engine will corrode and start to run hot. You can put alcohol in the cooling system and it will cool excellently until it evaporates and the engine overheats.

You can put whatever coolant in that you want to, but automotive coolants are made for automotive products. Polaris specifies a 60/40 mix of coolant and water. I use Polaris coolant in my Polaris and Honda coolant in my Honda dirt bike. I use Prestone, Peak or whatever is on sale at Walmart, Tractor Supply, Menard's, Farm & Fleet, Big R's etc. for my cars and trucks, but I don't mix brands - either I am doing a flush and drain or just adding to - I keep a premixed bottle in the vehicle for maintenance and just put in distilled water in an emergency.

What I'm saying is you can use any coolant your little heart desires. Some may cool better than others, some are cheaper than others and some may cause damage to aluminum engines. I prefer coolant that is mixed with deionized water to prevent electrolysis between dis-similar metals in the cooling system - couple bucks a gallon at Advanced Auto Parts and a coolant that is a low or no silica formula to prevent damage to the water pump seal. Automotive products require silica to condition the seal - ATV product seals may be damaged by silica.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by latebird View Post
You can put oil in your cooling system and it will cool, but it may not cool well. You can put pure water in the cooling system and it will cool better than oil, but the inside of the engine will corrode and start to run hot. You can put alcohol in the cooling system and it will cool excellently until it evaporates and the engine overheats.

You can put whatever coolant in that you want to, but automotive coolants are made for automotive products. Polaris specifies a 60/40 mix of coolant and water. I use Polaris coolant in my Polaris and Honda coolant in my Honda dirt bike. I use Prestone, Peak or whatever is on sale at Walmart, Tractor Supply, Menard's, Farm & Fleet, Big R's etc. for my cars and trucks, but I don't mix brands - either I am doing a flush and drain or just adding to - I keep a premixed bottle in the vehicle for maintenance and just put in distilled water in an emergency.

What I'm saying is you can use any coolant your little heart desires. Some may cool better than others, some are cheaper than others and some may cause damage to aluminum engines. I prefer coolant that is mixed with deionized water to prevent electrolysis between dis-similar metals in the cooling system - couple bucks a gallon at Advanced Auto Parts and a coolant that is a low or no silica formula to prevent damage to the water pump seal. Automotive products require silica to condition the seal - ATV product seals may be damaged by silica.

I understand Your point And thanks For all that info ! I really appreciated

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode