2002 Polaris Sportsman 700 AWD - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

2002 Polaris Sportsman 700 AWD

Hey guys, I am not a mechanic and am just trying to figure this out with online searching so please bear with me if the wording on some parts isn't right.

I have a 2002 Sportsman 700 which I got used. I have tuned it up a bunch so it runs pretty nice now and replaced bearings and stuff so it handles great.

The issue is, I am not totally sure if the AWD is working. I have looked into how the system works and when I turn on the AWD switch, the light does go on which would indicate it is working. When I look under the ATV at the hub between the front CV shafts there is a set of wires connecting to it. From my reading that is to energize it to engage the AWD. One of the wires is broken off though so I am not sure how it would be engaging it. I did test touching that wire to the hub there and if the AWD switch is on, it will spark so I know the wire itself is working.

What I am wondering is, how is the AWD working if the wire is broken. Another thing I noticed the other day is the speedo doesn't work. I went to check the cable for it and noticed that there is no speedo cable, at least from what I can tell. I don't see it on the wheel or up at the instrument column so I am wondering if one of the previous owners disconnected it and removed it, maybe it was broken.

I found sites that say the AWD works through the speedo so you don't engage it when the wheels are spinning so is it possible the AWD was overridden to always be on since that cable was removed? Would that actually work with the second cable disconnected anyway?

I am looking at ordering another speedo cable as they aren't too expensive but any suggestions about how this system works or things to look at would be great. I am not sure where that cable should re-attach to the hub either so any suggestions with that would be really helpful.

Thanks a bunch.

Neal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:32 AM
ATV Enthusiast

The wire going to the front right hub is the hall effect sensor for the speedo. Your awd will still work without that working. Mine did. You won't have a speedo though. Your best bet will be to lift the front and rear tires off the ground, put it into gear and check which tires spin. Other than that, spin the tires in dirt in 2x4 and switch it to awd. If it only spins the rear tires still, awd isn't working.

Semper Fi!
04 Sportsman 600 4x4
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that and I think this is where my lack of knowledge of all the parts come in. The wire I am saying is disconnected is on the front gearcase I believe, just looked in the service manual. There are two wires running to it, one is connected, the other isn't.

My Hall Effect sensor seems to be gone from the bike altogether so I assume the cable was removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:24 AM

The only way to test AWD is to get all four wheels off the ground, put it in gear and flip the switch then give it some fuel. I can tell you without even looking if the wire to the front gearcase is broken you DO NOT currently have AWD.
There is no "speedo cable" its electronic. The Hall sensor part number 4010298 is on the right front strut #28 next to the brake disc. It reads the disc as it turns to register speed and the wire from it plugs into the back of the speedo. I've posted a ebay link and pic from the Polaris parts catalog to one below so you can look at it.
You will either have to repair the wire to the front gearcase or get a new cover plate to have AWD.
If it will work without a functioning speedo is dependent on if its had a jumper mod done.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-SEN...05139b4808a3a6
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6634B13.gif
Views:	4
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	118327  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Great, thanks for that info Polman. I am out of town for a few days but when I get back i'll lift the bike and test it out. The part I find strange is, the AWD light goes on even with that wire disconnected when all the reading I did said the light shouldn't go on unless the AWD is working.

I am thinking I can probably just re-attach the wire to the gearcase, seems like overkill to replace the whole gearcase cover just due to a disconnected wire. I can't see where it was connected though so I am not sure if that matters or if it just has to connect somewhere to the gearcase to complete the circuit. That will be easy enough to test when I lift the bike though.

I ordered a Hall sensor too from Quad Logic. Looks like they have a slightly higher quality one than the OEM. I am actually having it delivered to the hotel where I am while I am away so I don't have to deal with the hassles of getting it across the border since I live in Canada.

I'll post an update once I am back and have had a chance to test this stuff out.

Thanks for the help guys.

Neal
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:07 AM

LOL, the wires don't connect TO the gearcase. The go INSIDE the gearcase to the magnet. That's what I was talking about. If there's not enough wire left sticking out to connect to you have to replace the cover #1.
You may be better off finding a complete used gearcase if you can't get the wire reattached. I don't see a good used cover and a new gearcase lists for $1200... Ouch!!
There's several on ebay for around $350.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6634C11.gif
Views:	6
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	118341  

Last edited by polman500; 06-11-2019 at 11:16 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for that, I didn't realize the cable actually went through the gearcase but that makes sense. I have that exploded diagram too in my service manual but it doesn't show where the actual cable connects to. I can't see a short piece of cable sticking out that might point to where it is broken so I assume it broke right at the gearcase although I can't even see the entry point for it. That is a bit of a bad design as it seems like it would be a pretty weak place for the cable, especially with what an ATV goes through.

I might have to pull the gearcase cover off to try to find where that cable actually connects. Maybe if I can find it, I can clean out the hole enough to put a new cable through to the magnet to get it connected again. $1200 is a lot to spend to replace the part for a broken off cable.

I'll do some testing with it when I get home and can lift the bike. Unfortunately the service manual I have, and the picture you sent really don't clearly indicate where the cable goes. The strange part is, they show the breakdown of all the parts in the gearcase so the fact that you can replace any of those yet can't fix the cable seems a little strange.

Thanks again.

Neal

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode