2004.5 sportsman 400 no spark - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

2004.5 sportsman 400 no spark

I recently bought a 2004.5 sportsman 400 from an old timer. It had 304 miles on it. So I couldnít pass it up. About a month after I bought it I was riding with my buddy and it died after going thru some mud. I changed the plug in the field and still not starting. Pulled the plug back out to see if I could see a spark and nothing still. I got towed home and started reading up. My background is in residential hvac service not vehicles but I understand electrical systems and can read diagrams and use a meter. How hard could it be. Long story short I ended up changing the stator and pulse coil. I didnít use a oem stator as the price is ridiculous. I went with one from rm stator. Put it all back together turned it over and zilch. It turns over just no spark. I was sure that i was going to be victorious. I should have started tracing back from the plug to the ignition coil and went from here before buying the stator. But, the resistance I got across the pulse coil (w-wr) was 168 ohms and it was supposed to be 97. I notice the recoil handle was not completely seated the day I got towed home. When I pulled the recoil cover off it had a bit of moisture, rust and a few tiny spring looking things that I still donít know where they cam from. So I changed it.
Now that this repair isnít working I am looking to the ignition coil. I read resistance across primary to ground last night and I have 0 ohms. I still need to pull the front end plastic off to really get the ignition coil off the machine and check the plug wire. I am just looking to see if anyone else has any advise of where/what else to look at. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 06:04 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

By the VIN - is it an 04 or 05?

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 10:24 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

My first guess would be the ecm, they had bad luck with them back then.

Protect the 2nd Amendment; it's the original homeland security act!
Bio fuel is the future; bring it home to the American farmer.
2005 Polaris 400 4x4
frt/rear rack extenders
Warn winch
front/rear bumpers
temp gauge
reverse light mod
heel clicker kit
lock-n-ride windshield
lock-n-ride gun scabbard
lock-n-ride rear hard box + side bags full of whatever I might never need, plus

Occasionally chased by a small trailer with more camping gear... good grief

2002 Trailboss 325
Front storage box
Rear storage bag...

I'm ready for a

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode