94 trail boss 400 gribeing noise. - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By polman500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

I recently bought a 94 polaris 400. When would put into forward or reverse and try to go it would make clicking or grindin noise so wold just go to neutral and back in gear and it would go fine. Well now when I put in any gear it will go slow but if I try to get on it at all it starts grindng likes it not in gear but shifter don't kick out of gear. This dam thing has like 3 or 4 drive chains but it's not those slipping. I am confident I can fix it just need to know what part is causing this or where to look first. When I tried to put back on the pallet where I park it I couldn't even make it on to it it would just grind whenever I go past quarter throttle so had to push it. I just hope it not to late and gears got screwed up. Any help would be appreciated. It does this in 2 wheel drive prob will in 4 wheel to but not gonna find out. Do not that grinding noise it makes. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Magee16701; 06-23-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:25 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Problem is probably in the transmission

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I think your right probaby just gonna have to tear tranny out and have a look inside. It seems like something that keeps the gears engaged is bad. Because it will go into gear and move a Lil but soon as get on it a litrue bit it just starts grinding or maybe its more of a clicking. It makes same sound it does when it's not fully in gear but it does it after it moves some then any resistance or even Lil throttle she sounds like gears aren't engaged. Also have a lot of play in shifter to so maybe it's bad front to back the whole shift mechanism
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 08:00 AM

Could be any number of things... tranny, axle splines stripped, aluminum hub splines stripped, etc.
Jack it up and do some testing before you go tearing the tranny out.
If its in the tranny you should be able to tell by draining the oil into a clean container and inspecting for metal.
FPD218 likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
Could be any number of things... tranny, axle splines stripped, aluminum hub splines stripped, etc.
Jack it up and do some testing before you go tearing the tranny out.
If its in the tranny you should be able to tell by draining the oil into a clean container and inspecting for metal.
K will do thank you. Thats what I figured I would have to do just a lot of shit to taken off before i can see anything. It needs swingarm bushing bad anyway don't think they are causing my gearing issues though.

Last edited by Magee16701; 06-24-2019 at 05:37 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode