Apparent Dead Battery - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Apparent Dead Battery

I have 2016 Sportsman 570 EPS. It was ridden two weeks ago with no issues. Thoroughly washed when doen last time. Went to start it yesterday and all was dead. Turned the key, no instrument cluster, no crank nothing. Jumped it with my 850 and it started. Took off the cables and it quit, tried this again after letting it run for 5 mins. It died again. Question, does it require a battery with a certain charge to be present to run even after being boosted? If so, the battery looks to be toast. If not, I have bigger issues. I thought the alternator output would keep it cooking. Any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:17 AM
Premium Member

Yes, they need a certain level of charge to keep running. Charge the battery for a while and try again. If it takes a change you are in good shape. Just need to figure out why it went dead. Have it checked because it could have just failed and need to be replaced

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2019 Sportsman 450. 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427X Wheels.

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 25" Bear Claws QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
2018 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow-Sent to Daughter and Son-In-Law since his blew up
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:23 PM

I know the older sportsmans don't require a charged battery to run. I have a friend who has a dead battery for the last 6 months he pull starts it and goes. but I cant speak on the newer sportsmans.
just run the battery to your local Autozone or Advance auto. they test batteries for free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

Right, the older machines just needed a battery in the machine. Didn't matter whether it was actually good or not. But the older ones didn't have and ECU with the computer controls

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2019 Sportsman 450. 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427X Wheels.

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 25" Bear Claws QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
2018 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow-Sent to Daughter and Son-In-Law since his blew up
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:41 PM

The newer fuel injected models will quit even if a battery cable just gets loose.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:30 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

The newer models will quit if the battery voltage falls below about 10 volts - the alternator will not power the machine if the battery is dead and it's possible the charging system failed because the battery was weak. The charging system is not designed to charge, but to maintain a charge. Run the engine below 2500 RPM and use high current draw electrical accessories and the battery will go dead while running. Also, if the battery is completely dead and will not accept a charge or is disconnected while the engine is running, it is possible to burn out other components due to electrical surge. When the battery is completely dead, do not jump start the vehicle - charge or replace the battery before starting
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:51 PM

This is a real issue with me. We have two 2015 570 Sportsman EPS's, and I have a lot of opinions about the battery placement. First, the OEM battery has cells that must maintain their fluid levels. They aren't clear enough to shine a light on one side and see the electrolyte level on the other side. You probably need to remove the battery twice per year (always remove the negative cables first), pop off the caps and put a little bit of distilled water in the cells. Don't overfill them. Both of ours went dead (different times) after I washed them down. They weren't particularly hot at the time. I'll never figure that one out. When you pull off the "S" hook with rubber strap, I suggest doubling over a 2 foot piece of 1/4" rope over the end of that "S" hook, and just let it hang. Cut it off a few inches below your chassis. This makes it much easier to remove and reinstall batteries. I bought two sealed Yuasa 14Ah batteries to replace the OEM batteries. One died not long after installation. Turns out, IMO, that the batteries are WAY too close to the exhaust pipe. I brought an infared temperature monitor on a couple of rides, and consistently measure 185 degF on both 2015's and a 2017 on the cell closest to the exhaust pipe. This exceed's Yuasa's maximum operating temperature spec by 45 degF. When one of the Yuasa batteries also died, I pried open the sealed lids, and the problem cell was the hot one. Bottom line--I think Polaris did a poor job of heat shielding in 2015, and you may want to shield your battery from that exhaust area.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:22 AM

Garage
Batteries seem to die almost with no warning and anytime. My 2014 570's battery died in six months so I replaced it with an AGM and added a trickle charger that I plug in every time no matter how long I rode it. Also discovered the voltage regulator/rectifier in Polaris 570's can quit charging if it overheats and machine will run until battery voltage draws down low, then EPS, fan and engine will die.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode