1997 Polaris Sportsman Wiring Issue - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

1997 Polaris Sportsman Wiring Issue

Hello. I have a 1997 Polaris Sportsman 400 atv. It sat for about 10 years so I recently started to tear into it and get it running again. The wires however were torn up and all the connections going to the terminal block were corroded. So I pulled all the wires out of the terminal block in order to replace the rusty connectors. The wires were also chewed up from mice and I had to replace those also. So my struggle is figuring out where all the wires go. I do have the original manual however I am unsure if the components are spliced together according to what’s stated in the diagram, then if they go strait to the terminal block after or what? The terminal block diagram in the book states which color wires go where but it doesn’t state where those wires go. I’d appreciate anyone with the knowledge to assist me. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:20 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

OK - what do you need to know? I think I might be able to guide you.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

I’m just curious if you need to splice the wires together then plug them into the terminal board or can I just plug in all the wires going from the components directly into the terminal board?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:38 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

I guess I don't understand the problem - I just plug the wires onto the terminal board where they are marked to go - all brown wires are ground and plug onto the terminal board marked BROWN - the red/white wires are hot when the key switch and handlebar kill switch are both in the on position - here's the trick; one red/white wire is hot coming from the handlebar switch, it plugs onto the terminal board - all other red/white wires plug onto the terminal board so they become hot also. Same with the rest of the wires - most 'splices' are made on the terminal board.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Oh okay alright. Well so it’s hard to explain but I’m looking at the diagram in the manual and it tells me that I need to wire the yellow wire from the stator to the yellow wire on the Cdi box for example. So I’m wondering if that still applies then I run a wire from the spliced section to the terminal board or if the terminal board acts as a continuous circuit for the wires?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:14 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

The terminal board is where the wires are typically 'spliced' from individual components - example; say the black wire for the CDI kill is attached to the 'black' terminal on the terminal board - then the black wire to the ignition switch, the black wire from the ignition switch and the black wire from the throttle switch all connect to the 'black' terminal strip on the board. Is this helpful?

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Yes that’s very helpful, thank you!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Sorry one more question. So would all the wires from every component be directly wired to the terminal board like every wire from the magneto and every wire from the CDI box?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:16 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

No - normally the wires from the alternator plug directly into the rec/reg and CDI box

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode