2002 Magnum 325 4x4 Gas in Air Filter - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

2002 Magnum 325 4x4 Gas in Air Filter

Hey everyone - I’m new to the forum and NOT mechanically inclined but I am willing to learn. I am the original owner of a 2002 Magnum 325 4x4, never had an issue with it until I noticed it having little power but still trying to go when giving it throttle. I first checked the air filter box and found the air filter was saturated with gas. Everything I’ve read tells me it’s the carburetor. It’s never been cleaned and I’ve always used 85-91 ethanol in it - so I’m guessing it’s a mess after 17 years?
Can you all give me a list of recommendations that you would do, along with a list of parts (carb parts, filters air/gas, various lines, etc) that you would buy that while I’m in there I might as well replace knowing nothing ever has? I’d like to buy as many parts as I can before taking it over to a friends (he doesn’t have ATV mechanical experience but he has done some other small engine repair work). I live an hour away from the closest shop and don’t want to open it all up and drive back and forth buying things - I can always return something if I don’t replace it. Also, I can save a lot of money by ordering off of Amazon and EBay - do you have any issues with doing that with the things you’d recommend replacing? Thanks everyone - give me your laundry list of things for me to buy, if you say a specific brand of cleaner or whatever is the best you’ve come across please put it down. Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:09 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

First off - if you shut the fuel off when you shut the engine off, the carb will not overflow into the air box.

That being said, the culprit is usually a defective float, float needle, float needle seat or the o-ring that seals the needle seat to the carb body. The o-ring is damaged by alcohol, shrinks and loses it's seal. With out working on the carb, shutting off the fuel will end the problem unless the petcock is damaged and will not shut off. In that case, the petcock needs replaced before doing any other work.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

I shut the fuel off, the petcock appears to work fine.

Now assuming that the problem is directly related to the carburetor, what items would you buy upfront and plan to replace so you have them on hand? I have to trailer the atv to a friends that is going to help me and from there the closest shop is an hour away. I want to buy all repair parts before taking it to him to help. And is it ok to buy after market items on amazon, eBay, etc?

Full rebuild kit?
Fuel filter?
New gas/air lines?
Carb cleaner (brand)?
Etc???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:39 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

If the fuel was shut off and the air box filled with fuel, you need to repair the carb and install a new petcock (fuel shut off) - there is no way for fuel to get from the tank to the crankcase without the petcock being the main problem. The carb and fuel pump only becomes the problem after the fuel gets from the tank to the fuel pump.

If you are tackling this as preventive maintenance, replace the petcock, fuel pump and rebuild the carb ensuring the rebuild kit for the carb includes a new float needle seat and needle. Absolutely make sure the float level is at spec plus 1 mm - I believe the float spec is 13 mm - set it at 14 mm. If the lines seem good, only replace them if you want to. I usually only replace hoses when they are deteriorated.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. Iím gonna tackle it starting tomorrow morning. Gotta ask before I get started (remember this is mechanics 101 for me), do I have to remove all the panels and gas tank to work on the carburetor?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Answering my own question - I do not have to take all panels and gas tank off to get to the carburetor.

Another question though: can I clean the gas tank without taking it out? Recommendations on how?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Adding another question: should I spray some kind of filter oil onto a new air filter before installing it or just put it in dry out of the box?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:55 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

If it's a foam filter - foam filter oil
If it's OEM or paper - dry
If it's K&N - K&N filter oil applied as instructed and let stand for an hour before using

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:59 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Fuel tank can be cleaned in place, but it's easier if removed

I use lacquer thinner to cut the old gas and varnish and flush till the thinner comes almost as clean as it goes in - best to put in, let set for an hour or so, shake, let set, shake, dump and repeat as necessary

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Awesome thanks.

I bought a filter off of eBay - there is a thin foam that you slide over the canister and not if I should spray it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode