Polaris ATV Forum banner

2006 Sportsman 500 EFI X2 Stator test

5K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  shagjts@aol.com 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I have a 2006 Sportsman 500 EFI X2. The battery light blinks at higher RPM's. At the higher RPM's, the battery is getting over 17 volts from the regulator. Per the service manual, I started testing the stator. While unplugged and with the engine running, I get from 20 to over 70 VAC depending on the RPM, but the ohm test shows all three legs are shorted to ground. Is this even possible? I'm wondering if my meter is hosed. If it is all shorted to ground, how can it produce ANY voltage? I can't tell if the stator is good (since it's putting out AC) or bad, (since it shows shorted to ground.) Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

#2 ·
If the stator is shorted to ground, the battery can get AC voltage carried on the DC voltage from the rec/reg.

With the stator grounded, the stator needs to be replaced - after replacing the stator, retest the charging system to assure proper operation

#3 ·
thanks for your reply, I ordered a stator this morning. When I first removed the recoil assembly, there were literally hundreds of little tiny circular pieces of metal stuck all over the magnets. They looked like the spring from a ball point pen where each little coil had been cut. I can't for the life of me figure out where they came from. Any ideas????

#6 ·
Nope - my guess might be like you suggested, the remains of a spring or possibly the remains of threads drilled out of a threaded hole before re-threading. There is not much that is steel inside the recoil cover other than the flywheel, the stator lamination's, the Bendix and starter motor shaft. None of the components use a small coil spring so the source is not obvious.

Might be debris from a previous repair, but it is a still a mystery at this point.

Have you got the flywheel off? If there was some sort of breakage, the circular pieces may be 'machinings' from the flywheel rotating around the stator and something on the flywheel coming in contact with the stator.

Let us know if you figure it out - it might be something to check for on other vehicles.

#7 ·
yes, it is all off and I also originally thought that it may have been filings from something rubbing, but no, there is no evidence of that and no evidence of any threads missing from anywhere. Aside from a little surface rust and very little dust/dirt, the mysterious circles were the only thing in there that didn't belong. Most of them were stuck to the position sensor. Very strange. Still waiting for the new stator too. Thanks for your response.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.