Should I re-jet carb for ethanol gas? - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Should I re-jet carb for ethanol gas?

A neighbor told me that I should consider re-jetting the carb on my 2004 Sportsman 400 a size richer because the amount of ethanol in the gas has increased since the machine was made and has the effect of running leaner than it should. Has it increased that much to warrant a re-jet? I live in CA and bought the machine used in 2008. The original owner bought it in CA. Anybody else hear about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:26 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

If it idles and runs fine, don't sweat it - but it may be improved a bit by adjusting the fuel screw and going up 2 sizes on the main jet, but only if the alcohol content is 15% or more - in fact 15% ethanol is not recommended by the mfg. 15% ethanol fuel will damage fuel tanks, lines, pumps, filters, petcocks, carb holders (intake manifolds) carburetors and fuel injectors in a relatively short time - as little as 30 days or less.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:26 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

You live in CA and run there. CA has many mountains. You can be running at sea level and in the mountains The higher you go in altitude the leaner you need to go with the carb jetting. Altitude will have far more to do then ethanol. What altitude was the carb set up for? It is a big problem here in CO. We can be running at 4000 feet one trip and at 10,000 feet another. Your engine will lose 3% of its power for every 1000 feet higher altitude. This is where the newer fuel injection really helps. Fuel injection was a god sent. We no longer need to change jetting. But the problem is that the power loss of 3% is never regained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

It was purchased from a guy who used it at 4200 ft.. I am at 3400 ft. According to everything I have read, anything over 6000 ft. is considered "high altitude" where jet settings get leaner. However, I do use the quad to plow snow in the winter where it is usually colder than 40F. I also use it alot in the summer. The stock main jet at <6000 ft. is a 167.5, according to the factory service manual. The machine had a 172.5 in it when I bought it, so obviously the previous owner ran it in the winter alot too. Anyway, in regards to the ethanol affecting jetting, I can safely conclude that it isn't a real concern unless it goes above 10%, which hopefully, it won't.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

Around here they are pushing the 15% ethanol blends as a green alternative, better for the environment and so on. Hasn't been mandated just yet though. I avoid any ethanol in all my small engines. As stated before it is OK in a vehicle that gets used all the time (your car or truck) but for engines that sit for extended periods it isn't a good choice. If it is all you can get, add a fuel treatment like SeaFoam to every tank of gas. That helps counteract the bad effects of the ethanol.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2019 Sportsman 450. 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427X Wheels.

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 25" Bear Claws QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
2018 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow-Sent to Daughter and Son-In-Law since his blew up
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode