570 blows Light fuse - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

570 blows Light fuse

I have a 2016 570 that blows the 20amp fuse for the lights. When that fuse blows and you turn off the machine, you cannot restart without replacing the fuse. This only happens when the lights are on, and you hit the brakes. It also does not happen all the time. Most notably, it happens when I'm riding hard, lots of bumps at high speed. I've looked at it, I've had smarter people look at it, no loose wires, no damage, no shorts, no bad grounds, etc. that can be found. I've tried different size fuses, but they blow as well.
Any thoughts? Other than disconnecting lights and running independant lights...
Thanks.

2016 Sportsman 570 EPS - Sage Green
-Polaris front rack extender

2016 Sportsman 570 EPS - Orange Burst
-Polaris 2500# winch w/synthetic cable
-Quadboss Rest and Storage Trunk

2016 Sportsman 570 EPS - Indy Red
-Polaris 2500# winch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

Sounds like bad wires to me. Start at the rear since it's also happening when the brake lights come on. Remove one bulb to isolate the side it's happening to.

2011 Sportsman® 800 EFI
GURU front brush guard
GURU rear brush guard
Polaris front lock n ride cargo box
Polaris rear rack extender
Warn RT 3.0 winch w/amsteel synthetic line
Viper aluminum haus fairlead
Polaris front spring adjusters
Ricochet a-arm guards
Ricochet full frame skid plate
ITP T-7 beadlock 14" w/OMF inner rim guards
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x9 front
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x11 rear
QSC clutch kit
EPI HD springs front n rear
ODI rogue 130mm grips
Ultraseal commercial grade tire sealant (front)
Highlifter tire sealant (rear)
CTEK 3300 battery maintainer
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
ROTOPAX 1gal. + 2gal. gasoline can
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Rigid Industries E-Series 10" flood
Walker Evans struts
NGK Iridium's (2,500 miles on Champion's and they looked great!)
Odyssey Extreme battery PC545

2018 Sportsman® 570-T
2019 Aluma® A8818
2020 Outlander® 1000R XXC (on order, ETA mid-Sept)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 12:04 PM

Yep, sounds like a dead short somewhere in the brake circuit if that's the only time it does it I would think. But, if I'm reading it right, it only does it only does it when the lights are turned on AND you hit the brake.
Hmm... I think I'd first closely inspect/test the tail light/brake light sockets and harness... and make sure its got good ground.
I'd also check the brake pressure switch at the brake line cross. Those terminals are very close together and could easily get bent. Test the switch itself too if no obvious issue with the wires.
A problem there I think would also explain the no start condition till the fuse is replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 12:07 PM

latebird may be able to get more detailed about how to chase it down.
Have you got a wire diagram?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

I think bad wires as well, but I can't find anything. And the brake light/starter is confusing. The hard part is that the issue is very difficult to replicate. I will try your suggestion, removing one light bulb and try to isolate. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp405 View Post
Sounds like bad wires to me. Start at the rear since it's also happening when the brake lights come on. Remove one bulb to isolate the side it's happening to.

-Polaris 2500# winch

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
Yep, sounds like a dead short somewhere in the brake circuit if that's the only time it does it I would think. But, if I'm reading it right, it only does it only does it when the lights are turned on AND you hit the brake.
Hmm... I think I'd first closely inspect/test the tail light/brake light sockets and harness... and make sure its got good ground.
I'd also check the brake pressure switch at the brake line cross. Those terminals are very close together and could easily get bent. Test the switch itself too if no obvious issue with the wires.
A problem there I think would also explain the no start condition till the fuse is replaced.

Correct, only when lights are on AND I hit the brakes. If lights are off I have no issues. I've pulled bulbs, traced wires, etc. and can't find anything. Everything is lubed to ensure good contact...
I will try to check the brake pressure switch...had not thought about that. Thanks.

-Polaris 2500# winch

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by polman500 View Post
latebird may be able to get more detailed about how to chase it down.
Have you got a wire diagram?
No, I do not have a wire diagram...I can probably find one online, if not on this site.

-Polaris 2500# winch

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:27 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

One of the first things you might try is to take and move the wire harness around. In this case, I would think it is where the wires can move easily. You did say it happens when you are riding hard. If a bear wire grounds out just for a second the fuse will blow and the wire hardness will go back to a safe position. Keep in mind it could be when you are turning the handlebars. You are stretching the wires and then moving them back to a safe position.

45 years ago I had a similar problem with my GMC stick shift. Was up hunting in the backcountry, and the tail light would blow the fuse. I thought it was when I applied the brakes. Went into a gas station and they put the truck on the lift. Had a bear spot on a wire. But it was when I applied the clutch. When I applied the brakes to downshift I also depressed the clutch peddle.

Last edited by PoPo3; 09-09-2019 at 06:29 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:28 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

I suggest you test the brake light diode (part number 2411035) - I suspect it has shorted out and is conducting in both directions - the diode is there so you can apply the brake and start the engine when in gear. If you can start the engine in gear without applying the brake, it is bad or missing - on some pre-owned machines uninformed persons have removed the diode thinking it was a fuse and either installed a fuse in its place or by-passing it altogether.

I do not have the wiring diagram for the 2016 570 at this time

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPo3 View Post
One of the first things you might try is to take and move the wire harness around. In this case, I would think it is where the wires can move easily. You did say it happens when you are riding hard. If a bear wire grounds out just for a second the fuse will blow and the wire hardness will go back to a safe position. Keep in mind it could be when you are turning the handlebars. You are stretching the wires and then moving them back to a safe position.

45 years ago I had a similar problem with my GMC stick shift. Was up hunting in the backcountry, and the tail light would blow the fuse. I thought it was when I applied the brakes. Went into a gas station and they put the truck on the lift. Had a bear spot on a wire. But it was when I applied the clutch. When I applied the brakes to downshift I also depressed the clutch peddle.
Thanks. I'll go back and double check...maybe something will stand out now.

-Polaris 2500# winch

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in