2010 Polaris Sportman 500 H.O - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By latebird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

2010 Polaris Sportman 500 H.O

So I have an issue with my Polaris 2010 500 H.O. ATV. I haven't been able to find anywhere on the internet this same issue so I thought I would come here. First of all it is not fuel injected but uses a carburetor. The biggest issue happens the second I hit any sort of uphill climb. It immediately bogs down to a crawl almost as if it isnt getting enough fuel. I did buy it used so I figured it might be jetted incorrectly by a previous owner. I bought a new carburetor and replaced the entire thing and it seems to run better but it still bogs down significantly on rides. And now it seems to be eating up a lot of fuel as well. Any suggestions on what it might be or has anyone had a similar issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 09:50 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

So if itís using slot of gas and bogging, has a good carb, I might look @ a few things.

First is choke. My 2011 and 2012 500 Sporty has a choke pull on the left side of the main cluster head. Examine your carb to see if itís fully choking and unchoking manually.

Check your spark plug to see if itís burning clean.

Fuel. Contaminated fuel by way of ethanol damages lines and carbs and gathers up gunk in your carb bowl and fuel pump which can restrict gas overall flow. I might be inclined to think this is really and is mostly the issue. Corn in the gas is a killer. I use REC gas and Seafoam the last few years and am getting better performance.

Lastly, a bad battery under load causes this bike to stutter like hellllllllllll. Iíve had this happen.

So youíve got an array of things to check. You didnít say backfiring or did you ? Mine was backfiring, strictly gas related that Seafoam fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:42 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Try running with the top off the air box and see it it is better or worse
SunShine01 likes this.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 02:31 PM

From your description, if its set outside a lot the choke/enricher cable is probably rusted up and you're running with the choke on all the time. I've seen several like that. Never could understand why anyone would let their ride sit out in the weather without even so much as a $10 Walmart tarp on it??
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Thank you I will try these things!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode