Unusual Overheating Issue - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Unusual Overheating Issue

Hello, new to the forum. I have an overheating issue that i dont think is "typical". Ive owned this scrabler 850 about 2 months, knew thew previous owner personally, never overheated. I rode for about 10 hours a couple weekends ago, came home from the ATV park, washed it, and took it for a ride the next day. about an hour into this ride is when it first overheated. let it cool, tried again, no go. noticed the fan seemed to stop blowing heat unless it was idling. called someone with a trailer. Since then i have replaced the thermostat, checked the water pump twice (no drips from weep hose either, and i made sure that was clear), checked all hoses, flushed the radiator, done a pressure test (passed polaris spec with 3x the duration they want) bled it after each reassembly (about 4 probably). rad is always full. pump seems to work (sucks down when i hit the gas) old thermostat tested ok and it has a new one anyhow. tried coolant temp sensor from another 850. another cap. fan runs and at about the right temp, but never cools back off only climbs. first time working on it at night last night, i noticed the header glowing very red, riding around the lawn in low at about 2000-2500 rpm for maybe 5 minutes, so im not thinking this is coolant related at all but i could be wrong still. 3 local dealers say i have done what they would do. hope someone on here has some insight, i didnt have good experience with my last polaris, and this one doesnt seem any different...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

nothing?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 04:23 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Just a thought
try running a colder range spark plug.
Are you running ethanol?
Try running without the thermostat see if that helps. This isnt a long term solution just a test
Try dropping your old thermostat into boiling water. Does it open up? Is it oriented the right way in the engine? I have seen these put in upside in a few cars before, so anything is possible.
When you drained your coolant, was it clean or did it have crud?
sainsworth97 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

1) i would agree with the plugs, but that shouldnt come out of the blue needing cooler plugs. its run on these plugs for 1-2 years give or take, previous owner lived here and rode where i do.
2) no ethanol
3) the thermostat can only fit in one orientation, can only be spun 180. nor would it flip over when im going down the road in the first place to cause the initial overheat.
4) yes the old one opened and i had a temp probe on my dmm in the water too, correct temp.
5) coolant always full and clean.
per the service manual, i need a fuel pump (6-8psi down from spec), and that can cause an overheat in the troubleshooting section, so im starting there. i work on cars every day and ive been through the cooling system forward and backward twice over, im fully confident in that it is not a cooling system issue.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:41 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainsworth97 View Post
1) i would agree with the plugs
I disagree with the colder plug - the heat range of the spark plug refers to the temperature of the tip of the plug when the engine is at normal operating temperature

Quote:
4) yes the old one opened and i had a temp probe on my dmm in the water too, correct temp.
If you had a probe in the coolant and it was correct, then how is it you determined it is overheating? Sounds to as as though it is fine. Is it just that the fan does not come on or what?

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by latebird View Post
Quote:
1) i would agree with the plugs
I disagree with the colder plug - the heat range of the spark plug refers to the temperature of the tip of the plug when the engine is at normal operating temperature

Quote:
If you had a probe in the coolant and it was correct, then how is it you determined it is overheating? Sounds to as as though it is fine. Is it just that the fan does not come on or what?
i had a probe in the water when i had it in the stove to test the thermostat, thats how he was saying to test my old one, i already did. the overheat light comes on and it goes into limp mode. the fan runs fine.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:50 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

What year model is this "scrabler 850"?

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
2015, no need to be a dink because i forgot an m, big deal.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:38 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
I don’t think he was being a dink. Just playing with ya. That guys probably forgotten more than we’ll ever know about these machines. He’s actually very helpful to many.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprotsman View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I dont think he was being a dink. Just playing with ya. That guys probably forgotten more than well ever know about these machines. Hes actually very helpful to many.
i never said anything otherwise, just seems like he doesnt believe me that theres even an issue, and grammar isnt what i came for advice on... pretty sure being able to hear the coolant boiling when i shut it down, accompanied by an overheating light is probably an issue. i figured that the temp light is coming on should be obvious.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Tags
overheat, scrambler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode