Die while riding - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Die while riding

Wanted to see if you guys can point me in the right direction. I have a 2018 sportsman 450 HO. This thing is under 25 hours, it previously went into the shop because it would not turn over. They told me fouled plug but also my voltage regulator was putting out to much voltage they said the display was saying 15 volts. I think they just needed a sale I donít know. First they changed the ignition but did not charge me for that. Itís been six months but this thing is not rode very often. Recently last two times Iíve been out to land Iíve had to charge the battery before use. I was riding the engin shut off and engine light came on. It clicks when the key is turned but wonít turn over. Thanks for help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 07:17 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

If the solenoid closes and the starter motor does not spin it's either a bad solenoid, starter motor or battery. If it's used infrequently, the battery should be connected to a maintainer that does not exceed 1.25 amps and turned on for a couple hours each day. Plug the maintainer into an outlet timer and set it to turn on 1 to 3 hours each day. Check the voltage across the battery terminals of a fully charged battery - the voltage should not drop below 10.5 volts when cranking the engine and when the engine starts the voltage should begin to return to the voltage prior to starting - rev the engine to about 2500 to 3000 RPM and the voltage should rise to no higher than 14.8 volts

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks latebird I will check all those options first and get a maintainer this one is not used that often. Do also happen to know if the engine light throws a system code I can reference? Any button sequence I can push to display one? They donít have code readers right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 06:10 AM
Premium Member

Right, no code readers for us yet. Powersports, Motorcyles and such are all guarding their software. Only way to get the program is from the manufacturer which is so expensive that only the dealerships can justify the cost. Hopefully it will standardize like it did with cars and trucks in the 80s.

Mine: 2018 Sportsman 850SP - 26" Bear Claw HTRs on OEM steel wheels(I really don't like the Aluminum ones)
Polaris Hand warmers, Mirrors.
Hers: 2019 Sportsman 450. 26" Bear Claw HTRs on Moose 427X Wheels.

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Polaris Winch, 25" Bear Claws QSC Clutch Kit, Hand Warmers
2001 Magnum 325 MOSE 12" rear wheel conversion. 25" Sedona Coyote tires
2017 Polaris Ranger 1000XP - Roof and front glass
2018 Kawasaki KLR650
2001 Magnum 325 Warn winch and Moose 60" plow-Sent to Daughter and Son-In-Law since his blew up
SOLD 2004 Sportsman 600 Twin
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 06:57 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

There are code readers and diagnostic tools available to the independent shops and general public, but it's not cost effective even for most independent shops. $3 to 5 thousand for the device, 200 to 500 each for the connecting cables (different for each brand and different between models offered by each brand, then a thousand or two annually for the software update subscription. For $10,000 to $12,000 a shop can get fairly comprehensive coverage for the American, Japanese, English, Canadian, German and Austrian market. But there is nothing for most of the Chinese produced vehicles.

TEXA is the company that writes the software for Polaris and offers it to the public using their proprietary devices.

MAC Tools had the ET8100-HD for $9,999 and the ET8200-HD for $11,499 which included 4 cables and a case, but they are discontinued and no longer available (technology has already made them obsolete). There is a Snap-On P1000 motorcycle scanner available on Ebay for $1899.

I have my own shop and it's more cost effective to pay the nearest dealer $150 for the diagnostic and then I perform the repair. Usually I just tell the owner to to take it to the dealer. I will work on carbs and point type ignitions while the dealers are increasingly turning them away.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 08:36 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

For anyone interested, TEXA has a diagnostic tool on sale which includes an adapter kit for Harley, Polaris Indian & Victory and BMW - $3595

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 02:06 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

A week after Christmas in 2015, my son's 2015 Sportsman ETX made a terrible noise with my wife driving it. She stopped and turned it off and after that it would not start back up. I don't think it gave a code or anything or made a noise when trying to start. It turned out to be the flywheel, or starter clutch, can't really remember. I was told that basically what happened was that it was constantly trying to start (even though it was already going) and it blew apart.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in