1995 400l big boss - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

1995 400l big boss

how to pull clutchs to change starter and starter drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 12:57 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Sorry I can't help you with your mechanical problems but nice to have you here with use Wolf. We have a 6x6 800 version.
Wolfone likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 01:20 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Need a puller for the primary clutch - secondary clutch rides on a splined shaft - if the vehicle has been serviced properly, the secondary clutch usually just slides off the shaft by pulling with hands - there is a puller for the second clutch, but is almost never needed - if the second clutch is tight, an alternate method to remove is to soak down with WD40 or PB Blaster 24 hours before attempting to remove and if tight, get a plastic wedge or pry bar behind the inner sheave, get a longer bolt than is used to hole the clutch on (piece of all thread works) - screw the bolt or threaded rod into the transmission shaft and while prying with the plastic pry tool, hit the bolt with a hammer (not forcefully) just a tappy tap tap - each time the bolt is struck, it will drive the transmission shaft out of the clutch by the amount of end play on the shaft (5 to 10 thousandths of an inch) - after a few hundred taps, the clutch will give up and slide off the shaft. Put a little waterproof grease or anti-seize on the shaft when assembling.
Wolfone likes this.

Shop Owner and Mechanic with over 50 years experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

purchased primary puller from amazon19.95 like a long bolt do i need a compresion clamp to put it back together when i get starter drive and starter changed ?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:02 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

No special tools to assemble other than a torque wrench or an impact driver
Wolfone likes this.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

many thanks ,old nam vet on social insecurity cant afford giving a repair guy 500 for this job
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:25 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

No problem - I am on SS also, joined the Army in 1970 and got into Armored Recon - there weren't many armor units in VN and I never deployed, but I'm still a vet - I refused all vet benefits until recently when I applied for a VA loan and although approved, I haven't take it yet. I'm here to help however I can.
Wolfone likes this.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

like the tracs the upper peninsula a guy needs them may get a set for the 95 or 99 6x6s how do they hold up ? saw them as accessory when bought the 99 6x6 new at aves in hurley wis thanks Wolf one
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 03:27 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Garage
Ave's in Hurly WI

Well gee, its been a few years ago that Ave's was still around. We purchased a Honda CRV from them and had friends who worked there.. We moved out of Ironwood in 2003 and they were bought out shortly after that.

Tracks or pods as they are actually called, require more maintenance than rubber tired machines do. We don't have many miles on them but do need to replace some pivots on them this fall. The rubber failure in them might be age or UV related. These pods are built by Soucy but Polaris used Camso built products as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfone View Post
like the tracs the upper peninsula a guy needs them may get a set for the 95 or 99 6x6s how do they hold up ? saw them as accessory when bought the 99 6x6 new at aves in hurley wis thanks Wolf one

Last edited by ArlyA; 10-10-2019 at 03:37 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

yepper it was a machine rental place i think its gone .place seems vacant now and for sale went by yesterday on way to iron mountain V.A. appointment . where is a real polaris dealer now in this area? atermarket parts keep them going . ,idont know of any in area but don't get out and about as much anymore must be getting old LOL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode