2001 Scrambler 500 carb dripping - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By polman500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

2001 Scrambler 500 carb dripping

I put a carb kit into the carb but it still drips a bit(not much) if I leave the gas on. It comes out of the drain at the bottom of the bowl. The hose is long gone so it drips on to the engine, which I really don't like. But does anyone know how measure and how to set and what the float level is supposed to be. I've always done it by "eye" but, it don't seem to be working on this one. I find it odd too, that with the new needle and seat, I replaced the seat, and there isn't any screw or anything to hold the seat in. It didn't seem like a very snug fit to me. I wonder if that is where the fuel is getting by causing the overflow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:36 PM

The 0-ring under the needle valve seat is what holds it in and seals the fuel from getting around it.
HeWasRidinDirty likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:21 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Garage
A digital vernier caliper is the best way Iíve found to measure the float height. They can be found on eBay for around $11. Make sure you get one that has a thumbscrew to lock the caliper in place at your desired measurement. I recommend getting a service manual for your year and model to figure out the correct setting. If you ask, itís possible someone on here will have one and e-mail it to you. The manual will also tell you the proper way to take the measurement. Iíve found that on these carbs, the proper float height is pretty important. +/- 2mm has caused loading up or fuel starvation that getting it right fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by micoviso View Post
A digital vernier caliper is the best way Iíve found to measure the float height. They can be found on eBay for around $11. Make sure you get one that has a thumbscrew to lock the caliper in place at your desired measurement. I recommend getting a service manual for your year and model to figure out the correct setting. If you ask, itís possible someone on here will have one and e-mail it to you. The manual will also tell you the proper way to take the measurement. Iíve found that on these carbs, the proper float height is pretty important. +/- 2mm has caused loading up or fuel starvation that getting it right fixed.
I have a set of digital calipers already.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in