Polaris ATV Forum banner

Sportsman 500 X2 HO EFI - engine dies when hot

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  micoviso 
#1 ·
Hi all, my name is Damian and I bought 3-4 weeks ago Polaris Sportsman X2 500 EFI from 2008. Previous owner had problems that when you push power to much it was choking and stopping. Currently one guy advised me there can be something wrong with some sensor so as solution he disconnected Idle Air Control unit and atv started to work. I was able to accelerate but now I stuck on problem that when I ride for a while sometimes I get „HOT” error on screen or nothing and atv just shutdown. Then I’m unalbe to turn it on for around 10-15 minutes and then again it again run for a while. I’ve already checked engine temperature sensor as service manual says and it’s fine. Cooling fluid does not disapear, radiator is working as it’s hot when engine is running, also fan on it turns on on it from time to time ... I just don’t have idea where I can look for problem ... any idea/suggestion what to check ?

Thanks for reading it ?

#2 ·
Did you try hosing out the fins in the radiator? After years of riding in muddy and/or dusty environments, dust and mud becomes packed in between the fins of the radiator, blocking airflow and significantly reducing cooling efficiency. I took a hose with a flat nozzle and gently hosed out the radiator on one of mine that seemed to run hot, and was AMAZED at the amount of dirt that came out of there. It took a long time to get the water to come out clean. It must have been packed in there for years. After that, no overheating problems.

#3 ·
Thanks Micoviso, I’ve cleaned it but it was not bad. I’ve also used special Chemical cleaner to clean radiator inside. I’ve also tested water inside cooling system for potencial getting in CO2 from engine but it’s fine. I have only notice that previous owner removed thermostat from engine (so I guess they already had such problem with overheating). I’ve ordered new one. Also I will fill cooling system not with water but atv cooling fluid which should be able to operate before boil up to 135 C degrees. Standard cooling fluid operate until 115 C, and water of course to 100 C.

Any other ideas what can be wrong/would be good to check?

Ant other

#4 ·
Any codes??

#5 ·
22 TPS sensor
41 IAT sensor
42 ECT sensor
44 CPS Circuit Fault
45 MAP sensor
47 IAC sensor
51 injector
55 diagnostic lamp

I’ve reset them few times and all of above come back. My friend told my that one of sensors can be damaged and all other will display errors ...

#6 ·
I'd make sure your battery connections are good and tight. Chk voltage at the battery with the machine running @3,000rpm. Should be between 13.5-14.5vdc. After that I'd chk, clean die-electric grease all the electrical connections. Ignition wires and plug as well. All while inspection the entire harness. IMO you have either a voltage issue or bad wires. That's too many codes for an isolated problem.

#7 ·
ok, I found out that engine temperature sensor was not showing the right data when it was hot. Now it does not turn off when it's hot and I did not seen HOT warning on the screen.

Now I stuck on the issue that when I accelerate and push throttle like for more then 50% (RPM's are then around 5500-5800) it goes well for 3-4 seconds and then something blow up and RPM's goes very quicklly down (even when throttle is on the same pushed position) and engine stops. While RPM's goes down I hear like it takes air from front or something like that (strange sound). I can push throttle to 90-100% and then I'm able to ride longer for 200-300 meters (with RPM's on 3000).
After stopping engine stopps and then I can start engine again and ride fine (unless I will again accelerate with RPM's above 5500).
I've already replaced spark, new oil, new cooling fluid.

#8 ·
ok, I found out that engine temperature sensor was not showing the right data when it was hot. Now it does not turn off when it's hot and I did not seen HOT warning on the screen.

Now I stuck on the issue that when I accelerate and push throttle like for more then 50% (RPM's are then around 5500-5800) it goes well for 3-4 seconds and then something blow up and RPM's goes very quicklly down (even when throttle is on the same pushed position) and engine stops. While RPM's goes down I hear like it takes air from front or something like that (strange sound). I can push throttle to 90-100% and then I'm able to ride longer for 200-300 meters (with RPM's on 3000).
After stopping engine stopps and then I can start engine again and ride fine (unless I will again accelerate with RPM's above 5500).
I've already replaced spark, new oil, new cooling fluid.
Hey there I’m having the same problem. Did you get to the bottom of this? Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.