FIXED!!! 700 Sportsman EFI Spitting, Sputtering, Dying When Ridden Hard - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 273 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

FIXED!!! 700 Sportsman EFI Spitting, Sputtering, Dying When Ridden Hard

EDIT 6-6-2012: The conclusions in the bottom of this post are incorrect. If you want to read this post and see what my final conclusion is then go to post #148 in the link below. I recommend you read the entire thread if you can because there is a lot of good information to be had that may solve other problems (or make you think you have one ). https://www.polarisatvforums.com/foru...6-post148.html

In the interest of getting all the symptoms and attempted fixes into one thread I thought I'd share about how I spent the whole summer chasing down and fixing a spitting, sputtering, quitting-while-hot issue on my '06 700 EFI. I know this is very long but I think it will be helpful to those of you that have the same symptoms.

Symptoms:
Rough idling
backfiring
hard starting when cold
cutting out when throttling up
dying after a hard run
POOR gas mileage

It started this Spring with the symptoms above. Other than rough idling and the idle RPMs seemed low; the machine would go for hours and then all of sudden it would start doing the funky chicken like it was starved for fuel. I would wait about 15-20 minutes, start it right up, and all would be well again for the next day or two.

Later I did some reading on this and other forums and found several possibilities that could cause the same symptoms: Temperature-Barometric Pressure sensor wiring broken, the sensor itself is bad, the Throttle Position Sensor is bad, its wiring broken, the fuel pump going bad, and hot gas in the tank.

I started with the simple things. I removed and cleaned the T-BAP sensor, fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel rail, and the throttle body. l also replaced the fuel filter and burned a whole tank of fuel treated with Sea Foam. Finally, when I put it back together I double checked all of the connections/clamps from the air box to the intake manifold. None of that fixed the problems.

I decided it was probably the fuel pump. I got the part number from a forum for JUST the pump without the whole friggin' tank assembly, installed it, and called it good...so I thought.

The next trip it worked fine the first day and then BAM! it happened again. Only this time there was no starting it back up so I had to suffer the shame of letting a Honda pull me 8 miles back to camp. I came back to the forums and this time I settled on the T-BAP sensor wiring harness after finding one of the wires to be broken on the inside of the insulation. I ordered a replacement from Only The Best Powersports, installed it, and you guessed it--more ridicule from my Honda friend and back to the forums.

Knowing the wiring was good I went ahead and replaced the T-BAP senor itself. Went riding again, died again, Honda towed me back again. In an unrelated issue, the Gear Position Indicator Switch went south and I had to replace that as well.

Now I turned my attention to the TPS. From the forums, I was able to learn how to check and adjust it--without the special tool and harness from Polaris. The idle voltage was a little low. I adjusted it and started the machine only to hear it keep idling like poo. I had no idea what to do until I pushed on the rubber boot between the air box and the throttle body. When I pushed on it a certain way it purred like a kitten.

I began poking around and as it turns out, there was also a wire broken in the pigtail right where it came out of the TPS. Just like the T-BAP, the insulation was still good but the strands were broken inside (I dissected it later and found it). There wasn't enough wire to work with to splice it back together so I had to replace the sensor.

Fixed, right? Wrong. It died on me the next ride but I was able to restart it after it cooled off again and get back to camp.

During my forum reading, I kept coming across threads that talked about the gas in the fuel tank getting too hot from the exhaust manifold/header and causing the fuel to boil. I dismissed this notion as I thought there was no way gas could boil in the tank without exploding.

Completely baffled, I reluctantly bought a 12" x 12" sheet of insulating foil from NAPA and covered the bottom of the gas tank

I've ridden it hard, really hard, 3 times for several hours each trip now and it runs perfectly. I don't admit it very often but I was wrong. Gas can get too hot and overheat your fuel pump, causing a significant drop in output.

All the other sensor and wiring issues were there too, but I believe it was just coincidence that they all happened at or near the same time. They would definitely cause poor gas mileage and rough idling; however; I think the primary problem causing it to die on me after some hard riding was hot gas in my fuel tank.

Here's what I think fixed the individual issues:

Fuel pump - Nothing. The old one was probably fine.

T-BAP sensor - fixed nothing. These things rarely go bad--no moving parts.

T-BAP Wiring harness - with the correct signal getting to the ECU, this fixed backfiring poor gas mileage, hard cold start and rough idle.

TPS sensor - mechanically, the sensor was probably good but I had to replace it because of where the wire was broken. Fixed backfiring, rough idling, hard starting when cold, cutting out when throttling up, POOR gas mileage.

Foil - prevented gas tank from warming up and overheating the fuel pump. Hasn't died since.

Stew

2011 Sportsman 500 HO Touring: Polaris 3500 lb. Winch, Kimpex Adventure XL Trunk, 7" Passenger Foot Risers, UNI Foam Filter
2006 Sportsman 500 X2 EFI: Superwinch Terra 25 w/Synthetic Rope, Kolpin 4 gal Gas Pack, 3" Passenger Foot Risers, 3-Headlight Mod, K&N Filter

SOLD 2010 Sportsman 300: Polaris 2500 lb. Winch, Kolpin Rear Seat (for the dog), UNI Foam Filter
SOLD 2006 Sportsman 700 Twin EFI: 27" Mud-Lite XTR, Superwinch Terra 35 w/Synthetic Rope, Polaris HD Front Springs, OEM Front Bumper Guard, WES Rear Seat, Kimpex Fender Guards w/Footpegs, 3-Headlight Mod, K&N Filter, Symtec Heated Grips

Last edited by AKStew; 06-06-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 273 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 09:49 PM

Might have to get me some insulation cause I've replaced the pump and it still sputters when it gets hot.

John
2006 800
3" lift with 30" silverbacks
post #3 of 273 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator89 View Post
Might have to get me some insulation cause I've replaced the pump and it still sputters when it gets hot.
I also put a piece of insulation on the TPS to block the heat from the exhaust pipe that runs just beneath it. Don't know that it was really necessary but it gave me peace of mind.

2011 Sportsman 500 HO Touring: Polaris 3500 lb. Winch, Kimpex Adventure XL Trunk, 7" Passenger Foot Risers, UNI Foam Filter
2006 Sportsman 500 X2 EFI: Superwinch Terra 25 w/Synthetic Rope, Kolpin 4 gal Gas Pack, 3" Passenger Foot Risers, 3-Headlight Mod, K&N Filter

SOLD 2010 Sportsman 300: Polaris 2500 lb. Winch, Kolpin Rear Seat (for the dog), UNI Foam Filter
SOLD 2006 Sportsman 700 Twin EFI: 27" Mud-Lite XTR, Superwinch Terra 35 w/Synthetic Rope, Polaris HD Front Springs, OEM Front Bumper Guard, WES Rear Seat, Kimpex Fender Guards w/Footpegs, 3-Headlight Mod, K&N Filter, Symtec Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 273 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 01:19 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

GOOD JOB!!!

Thanks for posting up so others can benefit form the experience!!!

CW

Mine

2015 RZR 900 Trail BLK. Pearl

Lock N Ride roof
Lock N Ride 1/2 windshield
Lock N Ride rear box
Rear Bars, Dash Bar & Rear extension bars.
LED lights front, top & rear
LOTS more coming...

2007 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI SOLD

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
post #5 of 273 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 04:19 AM

Thanks for the post Stew. The alcohol content of today's fuel causes all sorts of problems. It lowers the boiling point, decreases mpg, corrodes fuel system components, shortens engine life and drives up food prices. The idiots in DC apparently consider all this to be a good thing. The trouble is, they are wanting to increase the % of alcohol even more.
post #6 of 273 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 05:52 AM

Stew

Great follow up post.

Kevin
post #7 of 273 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 07:38 AM

I'm experiencing close the same problems about the sputtering and rough running. Feel like pulling my hair out. I have no CE light, replaced the coil, plugs, wires, battery, checked TPS wiring (ok, no breaks), checked TBAP wiring (ok, no breaks) and am not sure what else to do. Machine starts right up, but runs like the choke is left on (but its an EFI) and will continue running only if you are on the throttle. Grrr.

AKStew, did you have any Check Engine lights throughout any of this?
post #8 of 273 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBison View Post
I'm experiencing close the same problems about the sputtering and rough running. Feel like pulling my hair out. I have no CE light, replaced the coil, plugs, wires, battery, checked TPS wiring (OK, no breaks), checked TBAP wiring (OK, no breaks) and am not sure what else to do. Machine starts right up, but runs like the choke is left on (but its an EFI) and will continue running only if you are on the throttle. Grrr.

AKStew, did you have any Check Engine lights throughout any of this?
WELCOME BISON!!

Have you checked the adjustment of your throttle cable? If misadjusted it will not idle..

Also wiring problems at the TBAP are many times INVISABLE!! Mine was...

CW

Mine

2015 RZR 900 Trail BLK. Pearl

Lock N Ride roof
Lock N Ride 1/2 windshield
Lock N Ride rear box
Rear Bars, Dash Bar & Rear extension bars.
LED lights front, top & rear
LOTS more coming...

2007 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI SOLD

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
post #9 of 273 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 07:57 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Cant't thank you enough for this post. My 04 700 starts and runs fine until... Who knows. Sometimes if I stop along the trail for a minute, when I restart it idles slow and rough. Whenever I try to give throttle to rev it up, it dies. Waiting about 2 minutes (truly not very long at all) it will restart and run just fine. Then seems to run beautifully. I haven't been greatly concerned because the wait to get it working again is soooo short. But I may have to try your trick and see if it stops this problem all together.

MINE:2015 Sportsman SP 850 Sunset Red
Back seat / cargo box and footpegs from Thor, Polaris 2500 Winch with synthetic rope, Polaris front and back bumpers, Polaris Lock-n-Ride Mid windsheild, Heated handgrips, Fender Flares, Rotax 2+2 Fuel Cans on front rack.

HERS:2015 Sportsman SP 850 Touring Sunset Red
Polaris 2500 Winch with synthetic rope, Polaris front and back bumpers, Polaris Lock-n-Ride Mid windsheild, Heated handgrips, Fender Flares

RIP Sarge (2004 Sportsman 700 EFI killed on trail 32, Rock House, Hatfield-McCoy)
post #10 of 273 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KICKER431 View Post
Cant't thank you enough for this post. My 04 700 starts and runs fine until... Who knows. Sometimes if I stop along the trail for a minute, when I restart it idles slow and rough. Whenever I try to give throttle to rev it up, it dies. Waiting about 2 minutes (truly not very long at all) it will restart and run just fine. Then seems to run beautifully. I haven't been greatly concerned because the wait to get it working again is soooo short. But I may have to try your trick and see if it stops this problem all together.
You're welcome, but I started a later thread that said my particular issue wasn't fixed.

Your problem sounds like the early stages of mine.

Since I posted this I have found poorly seated plug boots (my fault) and plug wires that were almost chafed through to the core. I fixed those and thought I had it licked...NOT! It still dies for no reason.

Now I'm moving on to the fuel pressure regulator. I'm about to post a new thread about it.

Stew

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode