Guide to Servicing the Fuel Pump, Gauge & Regulator - 2006 Sportsman 700 EFI - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 07:12 AM

Fuel pump replacement 06 Sportsman 500

I'm following AKStews advice and recommendations and will replace by fuel pump with the Carter pump. I'm replacing the inline fuel pump, cleaned the tank and put heat reflective material on the fuel tank. I have 8300 miles on the 500. It has been a good machine until recently it will quit everytime I take it out. The fuel is heating up and when it gets over 100f, it will stop until it cools down or put more fuel in. I have my fingers crossed that this will fix it. I'm waiting for some fuel grade tubing to come by mail as there is none here in the NM desert. Just the other extreme climate from Alaska, but no different in finding parts that you need.

Will post on my outcome in the near future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 07:44 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Same problem

I have the same symptoms.
When its hot and high altitude (>10k ft) it will die. Or, fail to start. Couple of things to note though…. I replaced the fuel pump (Polaris), and I have checked the fuel pressure. Pressure is a consistent 40 lbs – normal. Still have the problem.

When it dies, if I remove the fuel line from the the injector rail and let it pump out some fuel, it will clear up and start right away. That pretty much confirms a vapor problem. Note this is a little dicey since the fuel comes out right above the hot exhaust so some care is warranted here.

Bottom line, I wouldn’t count on the fuel pump replacement fixing anything. I would have the fuel pressure checked before going to the trouble. I don’t think it’s the pump - I think its forming vapor in the pump/line. But…. that does not explain why this showed up now after about 4k miles ? ? ?
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 11:07 AM

New pump

I have been fighting this for the last 3-4 years. My opinion is that the fuel pump is either working harder or less efficient and heating up the fuel in the gas tank. That along with heat from the engine heating the fuel tank and the fuel line is causing the high temp in the tank and vapor locking. I know that the fuel in the tank get hots and I have been measuring it the last few times. When the fuel gets to over a 100 f the engine will slow down and stop.

The polaris dealer here has been taping the fuel lines with metalic tape. I have completely covered the bottom and sides of the tank thinking it was just engine heat on the tank that was the problem. But it still quit me after about 35 miles and the tank was on the bottom half of fuel. Outside temp that day was around 45 f. Tank temperature was 110 f. When it quit, I poured in a gallon of fuel and it started right up. While I have it all torn down, I think I will try and tape the fuel lines. However the fuel line run basicly on top of the fuel tank to the filter and to the injector. The dealer also said that the newer models have a newer and more cooler running pump. But still wanted to sell me to total package of pump and tank. Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

This is very frustrating. My dealer claims this is not a common problem.

I have considered plumbing in a return line from near the injector, back to the tank. Unless one could relocate the pressure regulator there, the return would have to be manually controlled and used only to clear a vapor lock.

If the problem is too-hot fuel, none of this is going to help.

I have been running with the side panels off. This might help a little.

-curt
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 03:12 PM

I still lean toward something heating the fuel in the tank. I dont think I have had it quit on a full tank. It seems the majority of the times it has quit is when the fuel level in the tank is under half full. Except when it quits, the engine runs great, idles fine and never lacks power, but when it slows down and quits running it is stopped in its tracks. It has quit on a hard pull in the mountains in low gear, down on the flats in high gear and everything in between. So the pressure regulator seems to be functioning at the proper levels when running with cool fuel.

You might want to check your fuel temp when it quits. I have been carrying a long deep fat frying thermometer. It has about 12 inch probe, so you can check the fuel deep in the tank.

Jerry
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to ebaysnyper
Great write up. Where were you last year? Lol

2007 sportsman 500 x2 efi
26" sadona ripsaws on 12" itp ss312's
3 headlight mod relay type
2500 Ib polaris winch
custom made "winch saver"
custom work light mod with lighted switch and 18 Watt lamps
custom stealth black shock covers
Front trunk locks Polaris Part #2874548 $7.50 each @ dealer
front rack rails converted to "U channel" strut for easy attachments
pure polaris HD front springs
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 09:44 AM

Problem. Flashing fuel gauge empty.
First I used a anger to test if float was floating or bad sending unit. could raise float arm with hanger and fuel gauge responded. Float wasn't floating.
I have disassembled and removed fuel pump assembly from tank. Took float off sending unit clip and tried to float it in fuel. sank to bottom. sure now the float isnt floating.

I see from your post you are recommending a float that doesn't appear like mine [or the one pictured in your post.

My float arm goes through the float with a small retainer clip. does not look like the jeep part you referenced goes through the float but mounts to the arm via the groove ring on the float.

What am i missing?

Redirect Notice
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippytrent View Post
Problem. Flashing fuel gauge empty.
First I used a anger to test if float was floating or bad sending unit. could raise float arm with hanger and fuel gauge responded. Float wasn't floating.
I have disassembled and removed fuel pump assembly from tank. Took float off sending unit clip and tried to float it in fuel. sank to bottom. sure now the float isnt floating.

I see from your post you are recommending a float that doesn't appear like mine [or the one pictured in your post.

My float arm goes through the float with a small retainer clip. does not look like the jeep part you referenced goes through the float but mounts to the arm via the groove ring on the float.

What am i missing?

Redirect Notice
I've never used either float. My float wire also goes through the middle of the float as you describe, and you may be right in that the floats I recommended won't work. They were recommended in another forum and I didn't check the source. My bad.

However, you could bend the end of the float wire to make it work. Just roll the end of the wire around a socket that is sized to end up with the right diameter. Also, you can find something that floats, won't get saturated, AND won't dissolve in gasoline.

Stew

2011 Sportsman 500 HO Touring: Polaris 3500 lb. Winch, Kimpex Adventure XL Trunk, 7" Passenger Foot Risers, UNI Foam Filter
2006 Sportsman 500 X2 EFI: Superwinch Terra 25 w/Synthetic Rope, Kolpin 4 gal Gas Pack, 3" Passenger Foot Risers, 3-Headlight Mod, K&N Filter

SOLD 2010 Sportsman 300: Polaris 2500 lb. Winch, Kolpin Rear Seat (for the dog), UNI Foam Filter
SOLD 2006 Sportsman 700 Twin EFI: 27" Mud-Lite XTR, Superwinch Terra 35 w/Synthetic Rope, Polaris HD Front Springs, OEM Front Bumper Guard, WES Rear Seat, Kimpex Fender Guards w/Footpegs, 3-Headlight Mod, K&N Filter, Symtec Heated Grips
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 12:04 PM

did u replace ur float?

Did u replace your sending unit float?
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

No, my float is still the original.

2011 Sportsman 500 HO Touring: Polaris 3500 lb. Winch, Kimpex Adventure XL Trunk, 7" Passenger Foot Risers, UNI Foam Filter
2006 Sportsman 500 X2 EFI: Superwinch Terra 25 w/Synthetic Rope, Kolpin 4 gal Gas Pack, 3" Passenger Foot Risers, 3-Headlight Mod, K&N Filter

SOLD 2010 Sportsman 300: Polaris 2500 lb. Winch, Kolpin Rear Seat (for the dog), UNI Foam Filter
SOLD 2006 Sportsman 700 Twin EFI: 27" Mud-Lite XTR, Superwinch Terra 35 w/Synthetic Rope, Polaris HD Front Springs, OEM Front Bumper Guard, WES Rear Seat, Kimpex Fender Guards w/Footpegs, 3-Headlight Mod, K&N Filter, Symtec Heated Grips

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode