2007 sportsman won't crank - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

2007 sportsman won't crank

Can somebody help me figure out what is wrong with my 4 wheeler. I have 2007 sportsman 500 EFI. Parked for about 5 months with battery disconnected, now it has no electrical power and will not start. Fuel pump runs constant when u turn on ignition. will crank if u jump solenoid, but won't start. battery is fully charged and main power and ground wires are good. Nothing comes on when u turn on ignition except fuel pump, dash doesn't light up, headlights and taillights don't work either. Could not find any fuses, only 2 fusable links by starting solenoid, which are both good. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

First off, welcome to the board!

I tried setting my password to "penis" but it said my password wasn't long enough...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

well if it cranks when you jump the solenoid but wont turn over if you dont, that it sure seems that the start solenoid is toast. even if the battery is basically dead, the start solenoid should still be "clicking" over.

also, with the battery, you didnt mention that the battery had any type of charger on it for 5 months. even disconnected, a battery will naturally discharge itself about 1% a day. which means, in two months of storage, the battery is already 60% discharged, in three months it is 90% discharged. when a battery gets this low on charge, and especially sits like this for any length of time, sulfate builds up on the plates inside each cell, and blocks the flow of electrons. this is an inreversable process. if this has happened, you can put a battery on a battery charger, and it the charger will show it is fully charged according to volts, which is what a charger measures from, but the battery cannont hold the AMPS to start. take the battery to a shop, make sure it is fully charged first, and have them preform a LOAD TEST. this will only take 15 seconds and will show if the battery cannot recover from the amp draw. if it fails the load test it must be replaced.

start with those two things....first start with a load test on the battery

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

its not the battery, it will still run the winch when ignition is turned on, and still has enough power to crank motor, also hooked up jumper cables just to be sure, and it was same result. I even tryed swapping ecm with my buddy who has identical wheeler, so i know its not that. The starter solenoid doesn't even click, the instrument cluster will only come on sporadically, then shuts off. i'm at a loss, i'm thinking its got to be a loose or broken wire somewhere.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 12:45 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to HappyCamper
I agree, charge the battery. Also check to see if your kill switch isn't causing the problem.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

again, 100 percent sure it is not battery, that is the first thing i checked, put battery from my other atv in there, same thing. Don't think it is kill switch, because the switch will shut off fuel pump when in off position. The fuel pump and winch are the only electrical things that work.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Does anybody know if there are any fuses beside fuseable links? I can't seem to find any.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode