Primary clutch problems - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

hey everyone here is an update video on my secondary not primary, i finally got the helix or cam off and this shows what i have found, rollers are not exploded and roll with no catching, but not sure how they roll compared to new, i am going to finish taking it apart just have to make a compression tool first,the spring is red on the inside is this stock???? just let me know what you think may be wrong, on the bike it rotated in neutral when it shouldn't be and it also didn't move in and out when in gear and pushing the throttle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-lV2tsTCrc

2009 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 550 XP EFI
FULLY SNORKELED
CUSTOM AUDIO TUBE
UNI AIR FILTER
STALL SPRING
25.5" PITTBULL GROWLERS
FRONT AND REAR RACK RAILS

2011 YAMAHA GRIZZLY 550 EPS EFI
FULLY SNORKELED
CUSTOM AUDIO TUBE
UNI AIR FILTER
POWER EXHAUST TIP
27" INTERCO SUPER SWAMPER VAMPIRES
CUSTOM PAINTED STOCK RIMS

Last edited by MONSTERPOLARIS; 02-19-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: forgot the link lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Good vid.! Now you gotta pull the roller carrier. compress it then pull the c clip. I'm thinking the movable sheath is jammed up. I read some where that you can take a screw driver and force the sheath back from the outside. There should be shims under the sheath. By the way the roller carrier is a keyed unit. teeth all around except for one area that has a double toothed solid area. Does that make sence??? Make sure that that piece moves freely up and down the shaft. Clean the inside good. Inspect the inside area for dirt, burrs,debris, what-ever. Maybe vid that area also!!
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

yea i got to get it opened up more but i dont see any way in without the copressor and all, do you know what the stock spring colors for my bike are or does anyone mine are both red and i hope to make my own compression tool soon

FULLY SNORKELED
CUSTOM AUDIO TUBE
UNI AIR FILTER
STALL SPRING
25.5" PITTBULL GROWLERS

FULLY SNORKELED
CUSTOM AUDIO TUBE
UNI AIR FILTER
POWER EXHAUST TIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Sorry, had to reread your post. If your a mudder and plan on installing bigger tires NOW is the time to install the clutch kit. EPI makes a really nice set-up!!! So just tear that sucker apart, but order the kit and install it right away! No sence in doing it twice! And red is the stock color. Have you read CVT CLUTCHING 101 at the head of this site??? VERY,VERY GOOD INFO!!!
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

no i havent but have been reading up alot on it and understand everything pretty well so far, id like not to spend 250 bucks on a kit though but would like to go ahead and set everything up myself,just was curious as to if someone has been in this clutch before or not,also i have watched epi's vids on installation of a kit which was very informative on what everything is and looks like i just applied that to looking at mine of coarse, but in your opinion and me as a mudder, if i dont change my primary right now what should i do to set up my secondary??? and where can i get a compression tool to take this apart with cheap if i cant make my own

FULLY SNORKELED
CUSTOM AUDIO TUBE
UNI AIR FILTER
STALL SPRING
25.5" PITTBULL GROWLERS

FULLY SNORKELED
CUSTOM AUDIO TUBE
UNI AIR FILTER
POWER EXHAUST TIP
post #16 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

The compressor would be the same but a bigger u shaped piece. But I'd really put that kit in right away so you don't have to do it along with the tires, that would be alot of bux all at once, and DON'T do it the other way around because the quad won't be able to handle the strain. I went 1" larger and I can feel it in the quad.(My quad is an old '96 300 xplorer 4x4, but the same actions apply)I'm working my parts up now for my clutch kit.
post #17 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I plan on installing a clutch kit this week. I bought a chunk of all-thread, a few nuts and various washers. I intend to use my vice and anything else I can come up with to release the tension off the split ring.
post #18 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

well i may be able to like do my secondary now and then do the primary before i get my tires im just saying i will be getting the tires before long but i want to get this clutch fixed, it has me shut down completely for now cause i don't wanna mess more up and this is a brand new belt and i don't feel like paying 130 bucks on a new one

FULLY SNORKELED
CUSTOM AUDIO TUBE
UNI AIR FILTER
STALL SPRING
25.5" PITTBULL GROWLERS

FULLY SNORKELED
CUSTOM AUDIO TUBE
UNI AIR FILTER
POWER EXHAUST TIP
post #19 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

well the all thread i can get and all its just the piece that goes over the center to push down on it to relieve tension i dont have any idea how to make

FULLY SNORKELED
CUSTOM AUDIO TUBE
UNI AIR FILTER
STALL SPRING
25.5" PITTBULL GROWLERS

FULLY SNORKELED
CUSTOM AUDIO TUBE
UNI AIR FILTER
POWER EXHAUST TIP
post #20 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Well I can't say I have it completely figured out yet, but I figure once I get in the shop I'll come up with something. Hell, might be out of a hunk of wood.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode