2007 Sportsman 500 x2 Water in Oil Tank - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy 2007 Sportsman 500 x2 Water in Oil Tank

As the title says...I have a 2007 500 X2 that I purchased new. Machine has about 400 hours and 2000 miles of pretty hard utility and trail riding use. I've had my share of problems including an exploded front gearbox last summer (replaced with a non-ADC unit) and now this:

Just did my spring service including oil change with Amsoil 0-40 which I have used since new. When I drained the oil tank, a tablespoon of clear water came out followed by milky oil. I also drained the crankcase and got milky oil. My coolant has never been changed, and the level remains the same as when I got it from the dealer. All the vent hoses and everything else seems pretty normal. No exernal leaks at all.

Could all this be condensation?! I change my oil every 6 months or so, so who knows how long this water has been in there. I have really not been doing any deep water riding at all. Anyone else have this problem? After the oil change it started right up and seemed to run normally with no smoke so hopefully I got out of this without engine damage, but I guess I'll never know for sure. I'll do a compression test next time I go out there...what else can I do to suevey the engine's condition?

Pretty dissappointed with this latest problem. I obsessively maintain my stuff so I sure hope this hasn't done permanent damage. I really like this machine as it is the only one out there with the utility of a dump box and 2-up capability (both features I use regularly)

Thanks for any help,

2007 Sportsman 500 X2 EFI
2" lift & 26" Mud Lite's
Hot Seat Performance slip on, K&N, Clutch Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

keep a close eye on coolant level, if its not losing any, than water had to come from outside source, I think I would change it again in a couple hours and see if there is more or if you got it all
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Do as Russ C recommends keep an eye on the coolant level.

07 500 EFI HO X2 Deluxe
25" Original Bighorns
Polaris HD Front springs front & rear bumpers

money is the root of all evil & man needs roots:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies...

I check the coolant level all the time...hard not to since it's right there. I put a piece of electrical tape at the level to be sure this time. I seriously doubt this is coolant, but can't hurt to be extra careful.

Had to go back to work and won't be home for a week, so when I get back I'll take it for another good ride, change the oil again and do a compression test.

Hope I got out of this easy...hard telling I guess. Wasn't really ready to trade for another machine yet, but this does get me thinking about it.

Thanks again

2" lift & 26" Mud Lite's
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Have you checked the coolant level in the radiator and not just the overflow tank? Just to be sure.

"Big Bad Wolf" 2004 Sportsman 700 EFI, Mine
"Lil' Red" 1999 Sportsman 335, The Wife's Ride
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Yep...not sure how I overlooked that one, but I'll be sure to check just to be certain.

I did read another thread about a guy who had one of these machines and the same problem. Turned out to be condensation and it actually separated and froze at the bottom of his tank, starving the motor of oil the next time he used it. Worst part is that after it separates and freezes, the dipstick would read nice clean oil!

Certainly hoping this didn't happen...especially since we are coming out of winter in Maine, so it is possible. That's a lot of condensation, but their theroy was that the machine was used for short trips and never warmed up much in the winter and the external plastic oil sump was more suseptable to fast temperature changes. Sounds possible.

Hoping my high priced amsoil saved the day no matter what happened...

Thanks for the help.

2" lift & 26" Mud Lite's
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 06:21 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Yep, I seen the condensation deal as well. They (Polaris) actually cut the rubber breather tube at one point so the oil tank wouldn't blow. I've never seen one blow but have heard and seen pics.
BTW - I'm not sure about your 07 but the 500's hadn't changed forever so a compression test my not work for you. I'd hate to see you test it and take a fit when it shows low They use to (I assume still do) have a built in decompression on the cam. You need to perform a leak down test if you're concerned. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Ok, this is really good to know! Leakdown test sounds like a good idea. Does anyone have a compression spec for this motor or do we know if it has an auto decompression like the older models?

Funny you should mention the ancient 500 motor deisgn...this is one of the reasons I bought this machine. I know this is a tough motor and probably is why it can handle the abuse from the dumb Polaris oil sump design at all.

Overall, I think Polaris does a pretty good job with their ATV's but there are some major systems that need updating and I've now had two major problems with both of them (Front gearbox and oil sump design).

Thanks very much for all the help...this forum has been great!

2" lift & 26" Mud Lite's
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

What type of clutch kit are you using? Thinking about getting one.

07 500 EFI HO X2 Deluxe
25" Original Bighorns
Polaris HD Front springs front & rear bumpers

money is the root of all evil & man needs roots:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode