350L Crank nut removal - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Cub

350L Crank nut removal

Hello all!
I recently got a 91 350L on the very cheap and have been rehabilitating it.

Replaced a trashed starter bendix and it starts and runs great. While I was in there, I Noticed that the inside of the recoil housing was rusty. Topped off the coolant, put in a splash of fresh gas and went upon my first tour of the yard. I pulled it back into the shop for a look over and noticed that it was leaking coolant from the drain of the recoil housing. Assuming it was the water pump and counterbalance seals, I started tear down. I have gotten to the nut that has to be removed from the crank to allow the inner cover to be removed. Is there somewhere to source this tool or what have others used to remove it?

Would love to be riding this thing soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Cub

Well I have done some more searching and they call it a slit socket? I found one on fleabay for $60 but hate to invest that in a one time use tool (considering thats half what I have into the machine at this time also). Also had read where some had used a punch to loosen the nut but mine won't give up its bond with the crankshaft.

Has anyone else found a better price for this particular socket? I have comtemplated building one from a piece of 2" pipe and making the notches in it then welding a socket inside the pipe but know my time is worth something too. If I could source one for $30-35 I'd spring for it but havent yet. Placed a call to the local polaris dealer yesterday but they havent even returned my call.....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

I used to have a 400, but had somebody else work on it because he had the tools.

I believe this is what you are talking about, and it looks like it is $60 too.

Slotted Nut Socket

I doubt you will find it cheaper, but good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Also, here are guys using a punch to get it loose.

It says it is reverse threads.

Slotted nut tool --- Where can I buy ???? - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Cub

Thanks for the reply. I had found similar info about it on other sites while doing to searching. I have a friend that has a buddy that works at the local polaris shop and is trying to get the socket for me to borrow. Hopefully that will work and keep my project wheeler on the low dollar rehab plan!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub View Post
Thanks for the reply. I had found similar info about it on other sites while doing to searching. I have a friend that has a buddy that works at the local polaris shop and is trying to get the socket for me to borrow. Hopefully that will work and keep my project wheeler on the low dollar rehab plan!
I understand man. It's really hard to justify a $60 tool. $20 would be reasonable . Good luck with that beast!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode