'93 350L 4x4 starting issue . . . - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

'93 350L 4x4 starting issue . . .

I have a '93 polaris trail boss 350 liquid cooled 4x4, I got it from my brother who is a Not-so-accomplished wrench turner. Well when I got it from him, he had told me that the "Ignition Coil" was the reason the engine turns and turns, but will not fire. I of course tried to crank it, and sure enough, sounds like no fire, I stripped all the body panels, and checked the coil "The Screwdriver Method" and it was firing like crazy. So I think it is fairly safe to exclude the coil as the culprit. I pulled the plug, and it was BAD. all gummy and the "Hook and the Pin" were making contact. I took gasoline and a wire brush and cleaned it up, and tried to crank again. Motor turns and turns, but sounds like no fire... I am going to try getting a spark plug for it, but is there anything else I should be looking for ?

Thanks guys, new to owning a ATV and want to get it back in good order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Get a
New
Plug, they're 2 bucks at auto zone and replace it. Then remove plug from cylinder head and lay it against the head where it can make contact. Turn engine over and check visually for spark. Easiest way to determine if your getting spark or not. Then the only other things are compression and fuel
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

where I am now

I got a new plug and it is firing like crazy. But the top pf my piston appears dry. I took the carb out and stripped it down and cleaned it out, and same thing. So I am assuming the piece between my carb and the firing chamber has to be some sort of intake/exaust valves. I guess that is my next stop. I am not very experienced with ATV engines, and not sure if my line of thinking is correct or not . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

There are reed valves in between. Spray starting fluid in top of cylinder and/or intake
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:39 AM

Personally, Id put a brand new plug in, and put some gas in the top of the cylinder. If it fires, you're good to go, if not, you have a spark issue (or air issue, which probably isnt the problem).

So if it fires when you put gas in the cylinder, but wont start on its own, you have a fuel issue. Clean your carb, make sure everything is un-plugged, and needle/seat valve are good.

These engines aren't rocket science!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode