Electronic fuel injection 101 - Page 3 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Repair and Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 02:58 AM

You might want to check that Idle Air motor on the throttle body itself. It could be plugged. Sounds like a corker though. Basically if it's fuel injected you need a few things to have good idle. The crank sensor tells the ECU where to time spark, the TPS tells the ECU in what position the actual throttle plate is. The ECU uses this info from the TPS to tell that IAM Idle air where to be to start and maintain idle. It sounds like the timing ( crank sensor ) is functioning. I would look towards the TPS and the Idle Air both those units are on the throttle body itself. I think these have and adjustable TPS so you'll need to get some info on how to set one. As for the Idle air being poss plugged. You can remove it ( thre s\phillips screws) and clean it out with good carb cleaner. Be sure to spray into the port where it goes back. Then spray some wd40 on the plunger itself. It's Not too complicated. You can do it It's a start anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 03:02 PM

ya hey thanks for the info, I went out and checked the spark plug agian just for thought. when i put a screwdriver into the plug booty and crank the motor i get a good white arc but when i put the spark plug in the plugwire boot and crank it i get a small orange arc? And when i first pulled the spark plug out after a couple cranks and no start it was covered in gas, and soot? Like it was flooded and the plug was fauled out. dont remember plugs arcin orange though gonna try new plug first then if no go i'll try what you were sayin arunninghorsegoeswild preciate the post i'll let you know how it turns out

JOHNDEEREGEEN
2006 Sportsman 500 EFI 4x4
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

So for the TPS what is the correct position. Do you happen to know for a 2012 sportsman 850xp h.o? Is it the voltage that needs to be set? I have the code 520194-7stuck throttle, would that have anything to do with the position of the TPS on the throttle body or is it a throttle wire that is pinched or out of place?

2012 Polaris Sportsman 850 H.O. XP EPS

30" Silverbacks
ITP 212 SS wheels
Powermadd Handguards and Wrap
Gorilla Axle X4
QSC Clutch Kit
QSC Exhaust
WARN RT25 Winch
Polaris rally lights x2
Polaris Extreme Front and Rear Bumpers
Stateline Customs Arched A-arms
highlifter rad relocate
Triangle ATV snorkel kit
---------------------------------------------------
2010 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.

3500lb Super Winch
Hand and thumb warmers
Polaris handguards
Warn Provantage plow system
HID headlights (high)
2" Wheelspacers all around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 02:25 PM
jrg

running better but

i have a 2006 sportsman 500 efi, used mostly for farm chores. hardly runs for any extended time. the engine starts dies,starts and dies but eventually starts and runs,will not idle well sounds like fuel problem. i drained all the old gas out, put new gas in, replaced fuel filter,replaced air filters,installed new spark plug. i also noticed my oil level was high? from gas or condensate?, drained all the oil and replaced the filter. fuel pressure is 40 pounds. idles much better but not sold the problem is fixed. the light on dash is showing 325.9 any thoughts would be greatly apppriciated jim
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 08:24 AM

I posted on another thread, but thought I'd add to this one since this has good info. My 2005 Ranger XP doesn't have a "check engine" lamp nor any displays, so I don't know if I can get any codes out of the ECU. I went ahead and ordered the T-BAP sensor, got it for $72 including shipping, to see if that is the issue causing it to miss like crazy. In the past, I have cleaned it and that solved my issue, but I've tried that twice now and no dice, still misses like crazy. Yes, I have the factory manual, but there isn't a way to "check" the sensor, other than the dealer software which I don't have of course, and after inspecting the wiring harness, I can't see any obvious problems. Anyone else know if I can pull any codes from the ECU?
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 11:19 AM

Resolution...

Okay folks, finally received the new T-BAP sensor and replaced it. I also replaced the plugs, I wanted to start out fresh on all counts.

Ranger fired right up, not a single issue. This is the best the Ranger has run in a long time!

I purchased the sensor from powersportsplus.com - total with shipping was $72.29 in case anyone else needs one.

Also, just for a FYI, it is SO much easier to just remove the entire air cleaner case and tube up to the FI intake to remove and then replace the sensor, I tried to do it while it was still in the ranger, and that doesn't work.

I ran this Ranger a ton while living in Arizona, and let me tell you, it ran HOT out there. One of the local Polaris mechanics said that this may have fried the T-BAP sensor, and I guess he could be right, all I can say is it's working great now!!
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 07:32 PM

just out of curiousity, would you suppose a fuel gauge not working propely and reading empty cause a 500 efi to spit, sputter, and also die?

so far it is seeming that way to me. if we prop the rod up so it reads fuel, it runs well. we are in the process of finding a new float. after we get it replaced we will be giving it a good ride.

2012 500 ho

like riding perry state forest in ohio. join there facebook page. i even joined their mantance crew.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/P...reaTrailRiders

Last edited by mrthompson; 02-13-2013 at 04:22 PM.
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

500 not 550... 2007 model year ^^^^^^

www.offroadohio.com

2007 Polaris Sportsman 500HO
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 06:00 PM

EFI not activating

my 2005 sportsman 800 EFI was wrecked by my little brother a few years ago and i finally got the motivation to order the replacement parts recently and fix it.
prior to any replacement of parts it started and ran like a champ.
i replaced several body panels/racks/etc...all cosmetic. then i realized that the stearing rod was bent alittle, so i ordered it and just put it in today.
the process: remove front rack, remove front body panel, remove fuel tank, replace steering rod and put back together. Easy right...it was but one i got everything put back together it would not start.
normally when i turn the key on you can hear the EFI engage for a second before you start it...it is not doing that now
I took it back apart and inspected everything and seems to be in order but no luck on starting...
Any ideas are much appreciated. thanks Cole
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwellent View Post
my 2005 sportsman 800 EFI was wrecked by my little brother a few years ago and i finally got the motivation to order the replacement parts recently and fix it.
prior to any replacement of parts it started and ran like a champ.
i replaced several body panels/racks/etc...all cosmetic. then i realized that the stearing rod was bent alittle, so i ordered it and just put it in today.
the process: remove front rack, remove front body panel, remove fuel tank, replace steering rod and put back together. Easy right...it was but one i got everything put back together it would not start.
normally when i turn the key on you can hear the EFI engage for a second before you start it...it is not doing that now
I took it back apart and inspected everything and seems to be in order but no luck on starting...
Any ideas are much appreciated. thanks Cole
Your in-tank pump isn't getting power. That's the "EFI" sound you usually hear for a couple seconds. I suspect you forgot to plug the 3-wire pigtail back in that is coming from the top of the tank.

Stew

2011 Sportsman 500 HO Touring: Polaris 3500 lb. Winch, Kimpex Adventure XL Trunk, 7" Passenger Foot Risers, UNI Foam Filter
2006 Sportsman 500 X2 EFI: Superwinch Terra 25 w/Synthetic Rope, Kolpin 4 gal Gas Pack, 3" Passenger Foot Risers, 3-Headlight Mod, K&N Filter

SOLD 2010 Sportsman 300: Polaris 2500 lb. Winch, Kolpin Rear Seat (for the dog), UNI Foam Filter
SOLD 2006 Sportsman 700 Twin EFI: 27" Mud-Lite XTR, Superwinch Terra 35 w/Synthetic Rope, Polaris HD Front Springs, OEM Front Bumper Guard, WES Rear Seat, Kimpex Fender Guards w/Footpegs, 3-Headlight Mod, K&N Filter, Symtec Heated Grips

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Repair and Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode